Ruger sp101 small enough for summer carry or better for winter carry then my XD?

Ruger sp101 small enough for summer carry or better for winter carry then my XD?

This is a discussion on Ruger sp101 small enough for summer carry or better for winter carry then my XD? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Right now i carry a springfeild XD 45 i love this gun for shooting and winter carry but mostly in the summer it just seems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger sp101 small enough for summer carry or better for winter carry then my XD?

  1. #1
    Member Array TheZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    91

    Ruger sp101 small enough for summer carry or better for winter carry then my XD?

    Right now i carry a springfeild XD 45 i love this gun for shooting and winter carry but mostly in the summer it just seems like a bulky gun and the more ways i try to hide it better like carring inside my pants holster or inside my belt holster it digs into my side and the shape of the gun still potrudes through my t shirt. Well one of the guns im looking on purchasing in the Ruger sp101 in 357 magnum. I have only seen this gun online as of now, but after the holidays im going to try and find one locally so i can get a feel for it and see if i like it. But for now asking anyone who has one is this gun small enough and easier to carry than my XD? I know it would be a trade off 5 rounds for 10 (i have the compact) but it seems like a really nice compact well built pistol and im very interested in it.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Hiram25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wyoming, DE
    Posts
    11,271
    Everybody needs a wheel gun! SP101 is a fine gun and .357 is a great round.
    Charles07 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,561
    The SP101 is a fine choice any time of year in my opinion. For ease of carry in comparison to your XD, I don't know but I doubt it. If you want an easy carry shorts and tee shirt wheelgun for summer you may want to consider something like a S&W J Frame or the Ruger LCR.
    Attached Images

  4. #4
    Member Array TheZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The SP101 is a fine choice any time of year in my opinion. For ease of carry in comparison to your XD, I don't know but I doubt it. If you want an easy carry shorts and tee shirt wheelgun for summer you may want to consider something like a S&W J Frame or the Ruger LCR.
    Yeah thats what i kinda figured. But as far as weight goes its lighter by 4 ounces then my XD empty and since it only holds 5 its going to be alot lighter fully loaded. XD loaded is like 40.5 ounces im guessing the Ruger will be about 30 ounces loaded. So i know it deffanetly would be lighter. Just got to see it in person to determin the size.

  5. #5
    Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,249
    You might want to take a look at the LCR in .357. It's considerably lighter than the sp101. It's a favorite of mine.

  6. #6
    Member Array MLittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    472
    I think the question is a little more complex than simply deciding to carry a revolver in place of an autoloader. Do you now own and shoot revolvers? There is quite a difference in manual of arms between a revolver and pistol......especially if you are speaking of personal defense. They handle a lot differently and the trigger is a lot difference. Plus, the obvious difference in capacity and the need to learn quick reload on a revolver. I have a bunch of revolvers (including the Ruger SP101) and love to shoot them, but I choose to carry a pistol everyday. The Ruger SP101 is not a light revolver at 27oz and although it is compact, it really is no smaller than a compact pistol. I think my recommendation would be to look for a compact pistol (more capacity, quicker reload).....instead of going to the revolver. Again, I have nothing against revolvers.....but if you've never owned or shot a revolver and want a gun for carry......I'd stick with a pistol.

  7. #7
    Member Array TheZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    You might want to take a look at the LCR in .357. It's considerably lighter than the sp101. It's a favorite of mine.
    I think i did look at it online i could be wrong but i remember thinking that it was really really light in the weight department which in return be alot of recoil and probably hard to shoot. I will go to their website and look again. How does it shoot for you? I also would like somthing i dont mind putting alot of round through at the range.

  8. #8
    Member Array TheZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I think the question is a little more complex than simply deciding to carry a revolver in place of an autoloader. Do you now own and shoot revolvers? There is quite a difference in manual of arms between a revolver and pistol......especially if you are speaking of personal defense. They handle a lot differently and the trigger is a lot difference. Plus, the obvious difference in capacity and the need to learn quick reload on a revolver. I have a bunch of revolvers (including the Ruger SP101) and love to shoot them, but I choose to carry a pistol everyday. The Ruger SP101 is not a light revolver at 27oz and although it is compact, it really is no smaller than a compact pistol. I think my recommendation would be to look for a compact pistol (more capacity, quicker reload).....instead of going to the revolver. Again, I have nothing against revolvers.....but if you've never owned or shot a revolver and want a gun for carry......I'd stick with a pistol.
    Yes i own a raging bull 44 mag revolver and a 500 s&w mag revolver and ive shoot plenty of 357 revolvers in the past. Just not too familiar with small snub nose revolvers just the big boys LOL...

  9. #9
    Member Array TheZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    91
    The Ruger im looking at is the SP101 2.25 inch barrell @ 26 ounces. Seems small enough for carry but big enough for less recoil and a good range gun! Looked at the LCR and i feel its too light at 17 ounces but looks like its still 6 in a half inches long anf the sp101 in 7.20 inches long. not too much of a difference in length it seems. Even tho im looking for small compact revolver i feel it should still have alittle weight to it for accuarcy and follow up shots.

  10. #10
    Member Array MLittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
    The Ruger im looking at is the SP101 2.25 inch barrell @ 26 ounces. Seems small enough for carry but big enough for less recoil and a good range gun! Looked at the LCR and i feel its too light at 17 ounces but looks like its still 6 in a half inches long anf the sp101 in 7.20 inches long. not too much of a difference in length it seems. Even tho im looking for small compact revolver i feel it should still have alittle weight to it for accuarcy and follow up shots.
    My SP101 has the bobbed hammer and it was my first revolver. Have over 5,000 rounds through mine. I changed out the grips and went with Hogues, the standard grips were just too short for me and they forced my hand up to a point where the trigger guard was hitting the top of my finger. Having said that, you can't go wrong with the SP101. It's built like a tank, easy to shoot and the trigger just gets better the longer you shoot it. If you plan to carry iwb the Ruger would be a great choice. If you plan to pocket carry.......it's probably too heavy.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,503
    I normally carry the Glock-36, but more and more I will take my Ruger SP101 (3") along for quick short trips.
    It is easy to conceal IWB, and the gun is a tank. You will be very happy with the purchase of the SP101.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  12. #12
    Member Array TheZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    My SP101 has the bobbed hammer and it was my first revolver. Have over 5,000 rounds through mine. I changed out the grips and went with Hogues, the standard grips were just too short for me and they forced my hand up to a point where the trigger guard was hitting the top of my finger. Having said that, you can't go wrong with the SP101. It's built like a tank, easy to shoot and the trigger just gets better the longer you shoot it. If you plan to carry iwb the Ruger would be a great choice. If you plan to pocket carry.......it's probably too heavy.
    yes i would carry it IWB.. not really into pocket carry that much most pocket carry guns are too small IMO. Well sounds like its a great gun cant waite to hold it in my hand and get a better feel for it.

  13. #13
    VIP Member Array tkruf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Really SW, Virginia
    Posts
    4,733
    SP101 is a fine revolver. If you want the extra weight and all stainless steel that is. I prefer the Ruger LCR to the SP101 because it's lighter and more comfortable to carry. I have both LCR's, the .38 and the .357. To me, yes the .357 LCR is hard to shoot, and it hurts. I much prefer .38 Special +P to .357 any day. Either LCR is fine for .38 ammo as far as I'm concerned, and personally I have never found a snub nose revolver in .38 that I found any fun to shoot. I like the LCR. The grip and the trigger makes a world of difference.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

  14. #14
    Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Kentucky
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It is easy to conceal IWB, and the gun is a tank. You will be very happy with the purchase of the SP101.
    I could not agree more. Excellent firearm in my opinion.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array crue2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    nv
    Posts
    792
    the Ruger sp101 was my first handgun purchase,built like a tank,very durable but unfortunately it's not very light for everyday carry..i'd suggest the lcr in .357,it's around 10ozs lighter,has a great trigger and by all accounts a solid performer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

concealed carry ruger sp101
,
ruger sp101 3 inch concealed carry
,
ruger sp101 carry
,

ruger sp101 concealed carry

,
ruger sp101 concealed carry review
,
ruger sp101 for carry
,
ruger sp101 for ccw
,

ruger sp101 for concealed carry

,

ruger sp101 review

,

sp101 concealed carry

,
sp101 for concealed carry
,
sp101 review
Click on a term to search for related topics.