A Garand Day at the range... up to a point

This is a discussion on A Garand Day at the range... up to a point within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two months ago, I was the proud recipient of my WWII vet father-in-law's M1 Garand, a 1943 Springfield Armory that has had some refurbishment done. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A Garand Day at the range... up to a point

A Garand Day at the range... up to a point

Two months ago, I was the proud recipient of my WWII vet father-in-law's M1 Garand, a 1943 Springfield Armory that has had some refurbishment done. Finally got some time to go through it and lube it properly, and headed out to the range today to see how she shoots. Using Greek M2 ball and starting at 25 yards with very modest expectations, I was thrilled that windage was pretty good and the elevation was just a few inches high - I wasn't even sure this old warhorse would be on paper the first time out. Happier still to hear that famous Garand "ka-ching" when the empty clip ejected! Within two clips I was confident enough to try a target at 100 yards. I shot one more clip on a sight-in target to dial in the windage a bit; I didn't worry about the elevation, as I wasn't sure what the proper battle zero protocol was.

So then I moved to a 100-yard smallbore bullseye target (just what I had handy) with an 8-inch bull. Here's the good news - the result of the first 3 shots:

Garand 1st target.jpg

Yep, I was pretty happy! But the bad news was that the op rod ran off the bolt, and I had to strip the gun down to unload it and get the bolt back to keep the range officers happy. My guess is that the lugs on the op rod that engage the bolt are worn; I'm disappointed, but on the other hand the trigger group looks practically unused (and a real stiff safety supports that notion) and the rod can be rebuilt.

Considering the Garand is supposed to be a 4 MOA gun with mil ammo, I think I'm a real lucky guy - this one's a shooter!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

That group says it all. Looks like the old girl can still dance! Glad for you Smitty, hope it brings alot of joy.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Always fun to take a piece of history to the range.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Very cool Smitty. I didn't notice this thread when I posted mine but I just posted a thread asking for members to post pics of their M1 Garand. I was inspired by the "Band of Brothers" marathon I watched over Christmas break. I'd like to have one but am betting they're hard to find?

Congrats on the gun. Have fun!

Senior Moderator
    Excellent. Now zero that dude out and have at it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You lucky dog - I'm terribly envious

When I first joined the army in '64, I trained and qualified with an M1-Garand because many of the training camps had sent most of their training M-14's off to get a modification to the bolt face to keep them from cooking off rounds and going full auto after they got really hot from a lot of firing. A few weeks later, the M-14's came back and we had to re-train and qualify with it; and once basic training was finished, we're handed an M-16 to start another process at the beginning of AIT to prepare for a little trip to SE Asia.

Never used the Garand in combat, but my uncle did in WW-II. And the first thing he ever brought up was that familiar "ker-ching" of the clip ejection as being the most horrible sound in the world because many times it seemed louder than the round that just fired - and always let you (and a close-quarter enemy) both know you were out of bullets

Hope the operating rod is rebuildable if it's worn that badly - good luck!!

VIP Member
    Great gun and report. You own the greatest battle implement ever devised according to Patton..
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Very cool Smitty. I didn't notice this thread when I posted mine but I just posted a thread asking for members to post pics of their M1 Garand. I was inspired by the "Band of Brothers" marathon I watched over Christmas break. I'd like to have one but am betting they're hard to find?

Congrats on the gun. Have fun!
    I'll post my pics in your thread when I get a chance, just to have them in with the rest. I did post some when the gun arrived back in October.

Five different people came over to talk to me and admire this old girl today... "are you the guy with the Garand?" during the ceasefires (when we step back from the benches). The whole history thing added to my enjoyment.

And here's a coincidence - Mrs. Smitty got me the Band of Brothers and The Pacific boxed DVD set for Christmas - I'm in hog heaven!

The Garands are getting scarcer but they're not scarce. At the big December Phoenix gun show, decent ones were going for $750 and up, and there were lots to be had. The CMP program is another source, with offerings varying by what's available.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'll post my pics in your thread when I get a chance, just to have them in with the rest. I did post some when the gun arrived back in October.

Five different people came over to talk to me and admire this old girl today... "are you the guy with the Garand?" during the ceasefires (when we step back from the benches). The whole history thing added to my enjoyment.

And here's a coincidence - Mrs. Smitty got me the Band of Brothers and The Pacific boxed DVD set for Christmas - I'm in hog heaven!

The Garands are getting scarcer but they're not scarce. At the big December Phoenix gun show, decent ones were going for $750 and up, and there were lots to be had. The CMP program is another source, with offerings varying by what's available.
    Great gun and box sets too? Somebody up there must like you. ;-) The Garand is a great conversation piece and that's partially why I'd like to have one. I bet it was a blast to have at the range. You get to shoot the targets and then later you get to shoot the breeze.

Thanks for posting in my thread. It's going to be really nice to see the different ones that forum members own.

Happy shootin' & happy viewn'. ;-)

Congrats on the Garand. I miss mine...it's back in the States with family...I shoot it once a year.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm jealous. Bonus points for correct usage of the word "clip." :)
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    You lucky dog - I'm terribly envious

When I first joined the army in '64, I trained and qualified with an M1-Garand because many of the training camps had sent most of their training M-14's off to get a modification to the bolt face to keep them from cooking off rounds and going full auto after they got really hot from a lot of firing. A few weeks later, the M-14's came back and we had to re-train and qualify with it; and once basic training was finished, we're handed an M-16 to start another process at the beginning of AIT to prepare for a little trip to SE Asia.

Never used the Garand in combat, but my uncle did in WW-II. And the first thing he ever brought up was that familiar "ker-ching" of the clip ejection as being the most horrible sound in the world because many times it seemed louder than the round that just fired - and always let you (and a close-quarter enemy) both know you were out of bullets

Hope the operating rod is rebuildable if it's worn that badly - good luck!!
    Larry Vickers did a segment of the M1 garand,they were seeing how close an enemy had to be to hear the clip ejecting,IIRC they had to be within 10 yards to hear it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

gasmitty,
    Congrats on your M1! Nice piece of history in your hands.I'd check that op rod to see if its within specs, might just need tuned. When ya get her running right,you'll really appreciate her at the 500 yd line.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Congrats on the Garand. There are 2 military rifles I want to add to my safe at some point. The M1 Garand is one and the M14 is the other.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have a Garand that I bought through the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) a few years back. It is very accurate and mine was a definite shooter. I paid $425 back when I bought it but I understand they are a little more now. As far as I know, they are still available through the CMP...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links