Over Under Shotguns

This is a discussion on Over Under Shotguns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been interested in purchasing an over under shotgun for a while. I was curious if anybody had any good suggestions about quality guns ...

Thread: Over Under Shotguns

Over Under Shotguns

I have been interested in purchasing an over under shotgun for a while. I was curious if anybody had any good suggestions about quality guns that will not break the bank. My main use would be for Skeet shooting. But I would also like the ability to hunt with the gun.

Models that I have been looking at are the Browning Citori's which have many different variants and are very pricey. I have also looked at the CZ Redhead model O/U shotguns, which seem to be reasonably priced. Does anybody here own a CZ shotgun and how do they perform? What is the makes the difference between a lower priced o/u and a higher priced shotgun?

2. Remove Ads

I'd be looking at used guns. Good-quality O/Us like Berettas and Citoris are more often sold or traded then worn out, and there's relatively little that can go wrong with the actions. Cosmetics play a great deal in the pricing, and a beat-up looking high-grade Citori can go for less than a pristine field model.

Ruger Red Labels (like so many Ruger guns) are well-built and more affordable than the higher-grade guns, but they also have the reputation of being "clunkier." I used a friend's 20 ga (with 26" barrels) a few times and developed sufficient lust for it; it was on my list of candidates until a deal on a Beretta Silver Pigeon fell in my lap.

I've handled but not shot the CZ Redhead, and at least to me it mounted pretty handily and swung well. I'm impressed with the value in nearly all the CZ line and I'd say it was money well spent for a field gun.

If your game is skeet shooting, I'd keep my ears close to the ground around the range or clubhouse for someone with a Citori or Beretta who's looking to trade up and is ready to sell their current gun for a reasonable price. About the most wear skeet guns get is from being broken open a lot; the light target loads won't beat up the barrels or actions, and most locks these days are designed to "wear in" (not lose tightness of lockup) rather than wear out. Nearly all guns come with screw-in chokes nowadays so if you need a tight choke for pass-shooting ducks you won't be handicapped (that said, for upland birds I never felt handicapped with a skeet-choked barrel).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I'm partial to the Citoris but there are several others that are good.
    The Winchester 101 is a great one. CZ'z are good. Even the Ruger Red Label is OK.

There are a host of shotguns being imported from Turkey,Italy and Russia that wont break the bank, they generally run from about 400 on up.

The difference between a lower priced and and an upper priced can be seen and felt. Fit, finish,balance, craftsmanship go a long way here and like anything else, you get what you pay for.

A higher dollar shotgun like a Perazzi can be a joy to shoot and it feels different. Shoot one of those for awhile and then shoot an 400 import and the import will feel like shooting a 2x4. It wont have the finish or the feel of a more expensive shotgun.

If you just want to hunt and dont much care, some of the imports from Remington (Turkish) are OK. Bakai from Russia is in the same category.

Its all what you want to pay for. The best thing you can do is shop around,pick some up and hoist them to your shoulder. One of them will appeal to you, it will feel better than the rest and hopefully, you'll be able to afford it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I have a couple of CZ's, they all shoot very well. Sometimes I'll choose one of my CZ's over my much nicer Beretta's or Benelli's just because they do perform well and I do not worry near as much about scratches etc. Other than that, gasmitty and Hotguns gave you solid advice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Browning Superposed, Browning Citori, and Winchester 101 come to mind of O/U shotguns I've used and liked.

Not so the Ruger Red Label. I kept one about 10 years, shot quite a few rounds of skeet with it on a skeet league, hunted with it some but never loved it. It was a clumsy gun with all the life of a heavy oak 2X4. I would love to have another O/U but I was gratified to see the backside of that Red Label when it went away.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I bought an American Arms silver 2 12 ga O/U about 14 years ago,it takes choke tubes and I know I put at least 10,000 rounds thru it over a couple years of skeet and sporting clays,It's been 100% and I still have it today IIRC I paid like $550 nib.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Go to a skeet field & see what the competition crowd is shooting. I bet you will see a lot Browning Citori's & Beretta's.
    That's because some of these competitors will put 50,000 rounds a year through there guns....for years & years & the guns hold up.

I own two Browning Citori's 12 bore's & never have hade a spit of trouble with 'em & one I use for my duck gun,it has had a steady diet of 31/2 inch magnums & still locks up nice & tight. That said Browning 12's weigh around 1 lb. more than a Berretta,which on the skeet range is a good thing as the weight helps soak up the recoil.

However hunting upland birds where one walks all day an 8 lb. gun kinda sucks. So if your planning buying for clays & feathers a Beretta would be my choice.

My son shoots a 12 bore Ruger Red Label (about the same weight as a Browning) and the Ruger has held up very well.

Like anything else "ya get what ya pay fore".

Not sure of your budget, but this week CABELA's has new 12 ga. Winchester 101 O/U's on sale for $999. These are first class shotguns that you will not ever wear out.

gold40

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Winchester 101's are very good shotguns right up there with the best of 'em! $999? WoW!

Links