The New Ruger American

This is a discussion on The New Ruger American within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got an email. An affordable long rifle 100% made in America. http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The New Ruger American

The New Ruger American

Just got an email. An affordable long rifle 100% made in America. http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

2. Remove Ads

I don't see an original idea on the whole page. I doubt the execution will be better than the engineering. Typical Ruger junk.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Ruger junk?...really? I love Ruger firearms. To each his own I guess.

It looks like they copied Savage's Accu-trigger.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Rugers may be many things to many people but I think "junk" is stretching it a little bit.
    ccman and TN_Mike like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    I don't see an original idea on the whole page. I doubt the execution will be better than the engineering. Typical Ruger junk.
    Maybe each individual idea isn't novel but having all those features on one gun is pretty decent. I have always thought of Ruger as a solid company, other than a couple of small issues with their semi-auto's I have never ever heard of a complaint about their revolvers or rifles, nor have I ever personally had a problem. But I'm sure you're much more knowledgeable about the issue.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Interesting. MSRP of 450.00. I wonder how much this gun will retail. Less than this amount? I'm assuming this is direct competition for the mossberg 4x4 rifle (synthetic). I'll be more interested when I see a wooden stock, but I'll never complain about more quality American made guns hitting the cheaper market price points.

My BIL has the Savage Axis, which is also pretty similar in design and price point. The only specs on paper that really jump out as different is the adjustable trigger on the Ruger.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

maybe I am being too harsh.
    This is after all the same company that has given us a number of fresh revolvers with internal locks, managed to come out with inferior competitive projects for everything original in the last 20 years and the same company whose patriarch authored the AWB and stated that;

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."
    "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."
    "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

I could never look at a ruger without judging the massive greed that kept the company afloat and the politics that keep it around today. Maybe it's just me and I am being too harsh but it is my opinion.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

I love my .357 SP101 and the 10/22 is probably the best .22 ever made next to the Model 60. And that's my opinion.

Senior Moderator
    I am all for any American company that still makes ANYTHING here in the United States.

Yeah, its true that old Bill was somewhat limited in his personal views on things and was pretty opinionated, but he has been dead a long time, so there is no sense in holding that against the whole company. While I have no love affair with most of Rugers stuff, or their sales/customer service, they do put out a few solid products.

At least they are coming up with new products in a time when a lot of companys are struggling to survive.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I don't know, I like my Ruger LCR. My dad has an SR9c that has not let him down, and my grandfather has a Blackhawk that he has taken many deer with. Bill Ruger was definitely a complete tool for his role in the whole AWB thing, but they still turn out good stuff, and as HotGuns said Bill is dead now...

Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Obviously never held or shot a model 77, or #1.... shame
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Administrator
    Bill Ruger has been dead since 2002.
    The present day company certainly has not followed his beliefs.
    Time to let that past stuff stay buried with Bill.

Just for the forum record. (source Wikipedia)
    Ruger received criticism from gunowners for suggesting that rather than ban guns, that Congress should outlaw magazines holding more than 15 rounds.
    On March 30, 1989, Bill Ruger sent a letter to every member of the US Congress stating:

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives."

William B. Ruger
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    "The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives."
    Yeah.

To me he might have just as well said...

Dont kill us all at once, just kill us a little bit at a time.

Of course, we must remember that at that time, about the only gun that Ruger made that would even qualify was the Ruger Mini 14, which never did much in the way of sales, so it would have been no great loss at the time to Ruger.

Let us remember, that he only stood to benefit from a poor law that he supported, thus giving fact to the statement that many zealous communists in Congress often quoted as a mantra for their schemes...

"even the gun manufacturers want this law! " ...

Which had the effect of giving aid and comfort to all enemys of freedom which was instrumental in getting the law to restrict magazine capacity to pass.

He has been dead for 12 years. Its a pity that he didnt pass sooner.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links