Newbie here, Please advise. Looking to buy a pistol

This is a discussion on Newbie here, Please advise. Looking to buy a pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm some what new to the sport, Ive mainly have had rifle experience. I'm interested in purchasing a pistol (new). I would like to get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Newbie here, Please advise. Looking to buy a pistol

I'm some what new to the sport, Ive mainly have had rifle experience. I'm interested in purchasing a pistol (new). I would like to get some opinions on what I should look at. I realize theres going to be a wide range of opinions. So ill try to narrow it down.

Use: Home protection/having fun at the range or property
    Price Range: Up to a 700.00
    45 cal., 9 MM or so
    Good looking gun

Thanks!!

I really like my G19. been having a lot of fun shooting it lately. Shoots well and reliable too.

With the limitations you've set, there are dozens of possibilities. Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm, Glock 21 in 45 acp, Ruger SR9, S&W M&P9, S&W M&P45, Springfield XD9 & XD45, and so on. Get thee to a range that has guns to rent and try as many as you can to see what fits in your hand and what you can shoot comfortably. I CC a SR9C but since you didn't say anything about CC ... Take your time and enjoy the journey.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Take a look at the SA XD40 SC.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have a G 19 that I love, and my wife's XD sc 9mm is a great gun too. Hopefully by Wed evening I can give a report on my wife's new Kahr CW 9.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Wow... that's quite a range and a mass of options. You might want to narrow it ..... any particular capacity of rounds ? small, medium , large frame ? Any particular wants ? Hand size or grip size you like ? Hammerless or hammer make any difference ? Double action trigger or purely single action ? Any brand guns you've seen that you liked in particular at all ?

Otherwise, you'll probably get recommendations on every gun there is in those calibers.

My suggestion would be visit some shops, look at some guns, go to a gun show and look there, narrow it down to 3-4 your think you like, then ask about those ....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    I'm some what new to the sport, Ive mainly have had rifle experience. I'm interested in purchasing a pistol (new). I would like to get some opinions on what I should look at. I realize theres going to be a wide range of opinions. So ill try to narrow it down.

Use: Home protection/having fun at the range or property
    Price Range: Up to a 700.00
    45 cal., 9 MM or so
    Good looking gun

Thanks!!
    That's like asking what shoes should I buy - there are so many handguns, so many different actions - give you a headache.

Best thing and what I did is to spend time, like you are, getting ideas from forums, but also from reading about handgun types, revolver, semi-auto, and then in semi-auto the various kinds of actions: striker-fired (like Glocks for example) , 1911 style (like Colt's 1911s e.g.), SA/DA (single action/double action, like Beretta 92FS); and these can break down into another consideration: some require a manual safety to be de-activated before you fire, some are just point and shoot, no manual safety - internal safeties. So narrow it down somewhat to start and know what the types are. Makes it all less confusing and you may want one type more than others.

Then, if you can, rent some, best choices are from actual experience with a number of guns, including revolvers which some love. Keep asking questions of knowledgeable gunners.

Anyway, I knew zip about guns period until I was 59. A few years later and I know a lot. All from others, in books, forums and face to face. But never be afraid to ask, folks are very nice and like to help. That's the main reason I know anything.

Best of luck!

PS: one opinion of my own I'll give you: if you want your handgun to do double-duty for home-defense + range you may want to choose a full-size handgun or near it. They are easier to shoot more accurately - this makes better guns for "target" work or for shooting in the middle of the night perhaps, some felon in your home. You want accuracy that's easy, and you may not have to shoot from a distance as close a in street self-defense, where size of gun for carrying comfort is an issue, and the closeness of an encounter makes a compact sufficient. Can be different in a house.

And a last note: in a house, ammo like .357 Magnum, fast and wickedly powerful ammo, will go through walls, maybe taking out a member of your family or half the neighborhood along with the BG or more so if you miss him, so you need to keep that in mind. 45 and 9mm are good choices, maybe 45 more so, slow and big, harder maybe to go through walls. Others would know more about that. I use guns for street defense primarily. Anyway, keep in mind questions about that particular aspect.

Again, good luck!
    Last edited by walleye; January 3rd, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

CZ 75

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Either a Glock-19 or 26 (9mm), or a Glock-30 or 36 (.45)...either caliber will work for you...the 9mm would cost less to shoot.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

if your not sure go and rent some at the range and get a feel for what works for you.

just for the record... glock 23 for me

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    At that price point, I would look at Glock, Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P, CZ, FN, ect. I agree with most people who said you need to narrow it down a little, and think about some features that you might want.

For example:
    -What size firearm do you want? Full size? Compact? Sub compact? Something in-between? Full sized grip?
    -Do you want a hammer? A striker? Single Action Only? Double Action/Single Action?
    -Do you want tritium night sights? They will add a little to the price point.
    -Safety features? Trigger, drop, grip, external manual? Round in chamber indicator?

These are important ones:
    Do you plan on carrying it? This will influence size (to a degree). You can carry a bigger gun. You won't want a huge brick, though.
    If so, do you plan on getting a quality holster? They will add to the overall cost.

Now, I know you may have no idea whether you want any of these features or not, so...

Do what has been advised and hit the range. test out a few and see what you like. Take note of the trigger pull, grip angle, accuracy, comfort, recoil, ect. It will make sense once you start firing some rounds.

All of the above postings honest sound advice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I really like my G19. been having a lot of fun shooting it lately. Shoots well and reliable too.
    He said "Good looking gun" not "Butt UGLY gun"!!
    TomEgun likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What is your experience with pistols? I know you said you want one gun for range and defense. But consider two guns. A .22 Ruger mark III or Beretta NEOS (there are others out there). It might be more expensive at first but .22 LR is dirt cheap and you can easily go through 2-300 rounds a day. It teaches you good mechanics and sight alignment, plus they are just plain fun. Then get yourself that 9mm or ,40. You might spend more on the firearms but the cost of ammo can offset that. This is not to be confused as to use the .22 for defense scenarios like drawing, changing mags etc. You want your carry for that. If you have kids, wife or other, .22 lr is good for a starter pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links