Anyone built their own shooting range?

This is a discussion on Anyone built their own shooting range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was sort of pondering weird ideas today. Most know that I like to shoot BB pistols and sometimes rifles in my back yard. ...

Thread: Anyone built their own shooting range?

Anyone built their own shooting range?

So I was sort of pondering weird ideas today. Most know that I like to shoot BB pistols and sometimes rifles in my back yard. The trouble is the legality of it is questionable. Most cities have ordinances against using BB guns within the city limits. But from what I can tell it is rarely enforced unless somebody calls the police about it. So far, none of my neighbors have called. But it worries me that occasionally I'll have a ricochet and it goes towards one of my neighbor's homes. I don't think the velocity of a ricochet would be great enough to hurt anyone or break a window but if it did clack against a window, somebody might get upset.

So I was sort of pondering maybe pouring me a little "sidewalk" maybe 3 or 4 feet wide and about 25 ft long. Then I could erect some poles and some kind of tent around it and setup a target at one end. It would have the benefit of keeping my BBs in my yard as well as offer me some protection against the elements.

But then I got to wondering about taking it one step further. What if I built brick walls with insulation up around it and put a shingled roof. I bet I could build something like that for maybe $3,000 to $5,000. Then I could shoot .22 pistols, maybe even .380 or larger without the neighbors even hearing it. I'd need a good backstop of some kind.

When you think about it, it would almost pay for itself considering how many times I have to pay money to go to the range.

Anyone else ever considered anything like that?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Still would be against the law.

You like to shoot bb pistols and rifles? I didn't know...

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Still would be against the law.
    Well, now I wondered about that. Yet, all of the indoor gun ranges that I've been to are within city limits as well. So there has to be some reason why it is legal to shoot a gun there while still being in the city. I tried googling this topic a bit and haven't really found mention of anyone who has done this. It is possible there have been people that did it but just don't talk about it for fear of some legal repercussions. That's why I thought I'd ask here.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You like to shoot bb pistols and rifles? I didn't know...
    Oh.. Well, i've talked about it before. I have a collection of "replica" BB guns that I like to shoot at various objects.. In fact, I just made this video earlier today.. On the left is my favorite BB gun, the Walther CP99..

I made this one some time ago with my Walther PPKs:

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Thats a good way to use a laptop. I did the same thing with an AK and a TV once.

Don't forget to send the Laptop to apple. I think they recycle the plastics.

I've wondered about doing the same thing once I get more land. I'm sure this would work for BBs but with .22lr and larger I doubt you can get it so the neighbors can't hear it unless you have sufficient distance between you and them. You didn't say if you were inside city limits or not, but many cities have whiny rules about firearm discharge within so many feet of a road (not to mention if you have to deal with a Home Owners Association). Do a Google search for "How to build your own gun range". I did and got 26.8 million hit, now you just have to filter and read and deal with the locals.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

My town has legal restrictions against discharging airguns ("BB guns"), etc., which I learned directly from the PD when I moved here. But Gilbert, AZ is also the home of Airguns of Arizona, one of the top-notch purveyors of high-quality airguns. They fix 'em as well as sell 'em - and I asked those guys the same question. Their very practical advice was that as long as you're not POing the neighbors, you won't be hassled. They showed me their range: a 50-foot (I think) PVC tube (about 18" dia, I think - not smaller) with a shooting table at one end and a clothesline arrangement for running targets out and back. The downrange end had an effective bullet trap for which I can't recall the details; probably a contained pile of sand. The snap of a springer airgun is louder than the BB or pellet hitting a soft target, but if the muzzle of the gun is in the tube, the sound is contained. Also, the uprange end of their shootinging tube opened up into a semi-enclosed porch-like structure on the back of their shop, which further reduced any noise emissions. It isn't as pretty as backyard statues, and big-diameter PVC tube/duct can be pricey, but if you can find it for a good price it can be pretty inoccuous off to one side of your property.

And if you shoot a lot, even with airguns, hearing protection is still a good idea.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Why use a bb gun to destroy that laptop/keyboard? It took way to long. My 3 year old can pull off every key from a laptop in the same time as a short bathroom break for his daddy (first hand experience). If I had taken my sweet time and didn't get into position to stop him, I'd estimate total destruction would have occurred in less than 4 minutes, even without a pick ax.

Links