357 magnum vs 44 special round?

This is a discussion on 357 magnum vs 44 special round? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Also just wanted to add one thing that i found in my research.. First off im looking at buying a SNUB NOSE just to let ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 magnum vs 44 special round?

Also just wanted to add one thing that i found in my research.. First off im looking at buying a SNUB NOSE just to let everyone know small and compact. In my research i found for example 2 inch snubnose revolver shooting corbon 165 grain self defence ammo in .44 Special was shooting 860 fps velocity. The exact same round 165 grain out of a 2 inch barrel .44 MAGNUM was doing 950 fps!!! In a snuby theirs not much difference it seems in power! Also if i start reloading 44 special i can get even better results. Not saying thats what im going with cause i still might go 357 mag but just some numbers i found along the way!

2. Remove Ads

These are interesting PDF's on the .44 Special through the years. It's from a Smith & Wesson Forum thread regarding an old loose-knit association of mid 20th century reloaders who styled themselves "The .44 Associates." One must remember that their heyday was prior to the advent of the .44 Magnum in the mid-1950s. If one is willing to download the files there is lots of fun reading about .44 Special there.

Here is the link to the Smith & Wesson forum discussing "The .44 Associates." The thread runs on for several pages. Some interesting discussion is scattered throughout but most is toward the end of the thread as are some links. 44 Associates' .44 Special Data?

A fellow can experiment with 245-250 grain lead semi-wadcutters and 2400 powder at charge weights up into the "Elmer Keith" realm and make a real fire breather out of a .44 Special, causing any .357 Magnum gun/load to run off and hide in shame. I've experimented with it in a big N-Frame Smith & Wesson Model of 1926 .44 Special just to chronograph the results and the 5-inch barrel registered a mite better than 1200 fps with that fat bullet with a muzzle energy of around 800 ft./lbs.. Recoil is more lively and more on the order of the .44 Magnum.

As there is no percentage in stressing a revolver that left the factory in 1932 I retired it from shooting the vaunted "Elmer Keith" loading after the testing. If a person was to look up the actual loading data Keith used and then attempt to duplicate it he must understand that no Charter Arms Bulldog should never ever even get near it for it's almost guaranteed to make the Bulldog come unhinged.

Various 2400 or IMR 4227 fueled handloads and fat, heavy wadcutter bullets can safely be propelled to 1000-1050 from the old pre-WWII Smith & Wesson with great accuracy and reasonable recoil. Skeeter Skelton's famous Unique fueled handload is a piece of cake in the old Smith & Wesson gun.

"Granddad" Smith & Wesson Model of 1926 (or sometimes known as the Third Model) .44 Special shipped in March of 1932 (bottom) shown with his grandson Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum (top) which was purchased new in January of 1980.

Attachment 0
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; January 4th, 2012 at 01:08 AM.
    CaptSmith and wormy like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If only..If only...Smith or Colt made a small frame .44 spl, ZMAM, get a stainless Charter Arms BulllDog in .44 spl 3 inch barrel in your hand and check it out...the Ruger SP101 3" makes sense also...many members would have no problem carrying an old school S&W mod 10 4" anywhere any time, me included, I live on the best coast, and carry a 6" S&W mod 27 45LC in lion country...edc is a Bulldog... goodluck with your choice

I think the problem with making up my mind between the two calibers is i want to like the 44 special more just cause i love bigger bullets! Thats why i chose the 45 acp when i got my springfeild XD. But common sence is telling me to go with the 357 mag because its more popular and ammo is everywhere and cheaper! I really love the new taurus 44 special ultralight in a grey color matte stainless steel and only 22 ounces! This gun is sweet and fit and finish is unbeleivable. The 357 is a stainless steel silver matte finish and weighs in at 28 ounces. So basicaly its the lack of ammo availibility thats keeping me from pulling the trigger on the special. I like guns that no matter where i go i can just stop in a sporting good shop and pick up a box if i need it especially if im on vacation and not close to home!

Ammo availability should not be an influence. Buy what you need, or feel comfortable with, and buy or order more as needed. If you feel you are going somewhere that 44 spl is not readily available, the simple solution......

Take a couple of boxes with you!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Don't overthink the ammo question. Buy a respectable caliber (which both are) are go with it. .44 Spec. is a lot more expensive but if you have the green and like the bigger bullet, get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Don't overthink the ammo question. Buy a respectable caliber (which both are) are go with it. .44 Spec. is a lot more expensive but if you have the green and like the bigger bullet, get it.
    I think thats the bigger reason whats making me lean toward the 357 mag is how expensive 44 special ammo is! I know my dealer said he can get the 44 special for around 32 dollars a box but im guessing thats just cheaper target ammo. looked at Corbon dpx ammo and that stuff is like 47 bucks for the 44 special for only 20 rounds!!! thats like 500 s&w territory prices! I think the 357 dpx ammo was like 30 bucks for 20.. Well like i said im going to do alot more research before i pull the trigger. I know one minute im leaning toward the 357 and then 10 minutes later im leaning toward the 44 special. This is going to be interesting!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Another choice for ammo is georgia arms
    Good product and a fair price.

I know it ain;t a revolver , get a 10mm glock, twice the rounds and the power you need and a light weight package for the right money. Buy a convestion barrel and practice with 40sw.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post

I know it ain;t a revolver , get a 10mm glock, twice the rounds and the power you need and a light weight package for the right money. Buy a convestion barrel and practice with 40sw.
    Already have an auto a Springfeild XD in 45 acp compact. Dont want another. Also i love revolvers their sexy!

Listen, if you have fallen in love with 44 special and the taurus, then just buy it, and then learn to reload. Don't use reloads for carry, but for practice, and then it's no more expensive than buying 38 special. I say, always get the gun that you fall in love with, and then make it work. Unless it's a 22, or 25. :-)

That Ruger Vaquero 44 SPC at Buds Gun Shop for $419 is calling my name...LOUDLY!

Ruger Vaquero 44 Special 4-5/8" BL FS $419.00 SHIPS FREE
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

[QUOTE=wormy;2123845]That Ruger Vaquero 44 SPC at Buds Gun Shop for $419 is calling my name...LOUDLY!

Ruger Vaquero 44 Special 4-5/8" BL FS $419.00 SHIPS FREE[/QUOte Ya thats a sweet gun for sure! Looks like a great price too. If i get the taurus snub nose 44 special for ccw i might have to get that one too to keep it company. LoL..

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post

Looks like the Georga arms ammo for 44 special is out of stock! Good prices tho.

You could try Natchez Shooters Supply. They have a Gold Dot load on sale for $28; I just ordered a few myself. I do love putting some .44 Special through my S&W 29...

CCI Speer .44 Special 200gr Gold Dot HP Ammunition 20 - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    You could try Natchez Shooters Supply. They have a Gold Dot load on sale for $28; I just ordered a few myself. I do love putting some .44 Special through my S&W 29...

CCI Speer .44 Special 200gr Gold Dot HP Ammunition 20 - Natchez Shooters Supplies
    Thanks i will deffanetly check them out. Only bad think about buying online tho is buy the time they charge for the shipping its sometimes more then the local shop charges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links