VA Background Check System - Running 5 Day Backlog

This is a discussion on VA Background Check System - Running 5 Day Backlog within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Something has happend to the VA Background Check System. The gun dealer reportedly stated that VASP states the backlog to process transactions is currently running ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: VA Background Check System - Running 5 Day Backlog

VIP Member

Something has happend to the VA Background Check System. The gun dealer reportedly stated that VASP states the backlog to process transactions is currently running about 5 days delay.

After day 5 it is an automatic approval, but still, the system was not supposed to take this long. This is rediculous. Any NRA or VA organizations that would like to pursue legal action?

VIP Member
    Just what legal action do you see being taken. There has been a dramatic increase of gun sales starting in December. They aren't denying anyone their right to buy a gun. To attempt to take legal action is both a waste of time and money on a frivolous lawsuit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Automatic 3 day waiting period... and then some.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Just what legal action do you see being taken. There has been a dramatic increase of gun sales starting in December. They aren't denying anyone their right to buy a gun. To attempt to take legal action is both a waste of time and money on a frivolous lawsuit.
    I would hardly call defending our rights frivolous. The system was not supposed to impose a mandatory waiting period, which is exactly the defacto result that has happened. If the state won't add staff or overtime to clear out the backlog in a timely manner, then yes, a suit should be filed.

New Member Array ClarencePayne3's Avatar
    It is absurd I also think it has alot to do with the place you go to as well... I believe some store's are simply not processed as fast as others.
    I heard about the 5 day wait after that it's an Automatic approval but it doesn't include weekends ( to the best of my memory at least ) so go to buy one on a Thursday and be put on delay you could be waiting clean till next Thursday before you hear something.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Stop buying guns until the backlog clears.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I would hardly call defending our rights frivolous. The system was not supposed to impose a mandatory waiting period, which is exactly the defacto result that has happened. If the state won't add staff or overtime to clear out the backlog in a timely manner, then yes, a suit should be filed.
    When you file the lawsuit, let us know the particulars so we can follow it...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

How can a computerized process be backlogged? FFL makes a call...someone answers that call(?)...then check for the name...no record...approved. NICS check takes 2 minutes...says so on FBI website.
    ClarencePayne3 likes this.

New Member Array ClarencePayne3's Avatar
    Yup that's why they claim the system is so great... They use the same identification we show them to check are record if we where to be pulled over for speeding to check for warrants and to see if your wanted anywhere and that doesn't take more than 15-20 mins max...

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    According to local news stations the number of checks has increased at least 35% over the last couple of months. I suspect the call takers are writing down the info and checking later.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Something has happend to the VA Background Check System. The gun dealer reportedly stated that VASP states the backlog to process transactions is currently running about 5 days delay.

After day 5 it is an automatic approval, but still, the system was not supposed to take this long. This is rediculous. Any NRA or VA organizations that would like to pursue legal action?
    That's definetly a systematic failure if people are getting aproaval after 5 days and thier background check hasnt been done. Mandatory 10 day wait here in CA. I say wait to file your lawsuit until the new regulations come out and we are paying $200 and waiting 4 months for our background check before we get our guns.

OP, you are spoiled. a 5 day wait would be a big improvement to we gun customers here in Colorado.

A little while ago (? 2 weeks ?), I reported that CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) had stated that they were clogged up with over 10,000 background checks that need to be approved. Well, time has passed and it has been reported that they have a better handle on the situation now. The backlog is down to only 11,000 background checks and the current wait is only 8 days.

So, apparently moving backwards is an improvement in this situation!!??

But, in all fairness, I must report that the Democrats hold the Governor's office, as well as a majority in the State Senate and the State House. With all the levers of power in the hands of the Democrats, they couldn't possibly be playing us into this situation, right?

Here in Ohio, I bought a Colt this morning, took 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    According to local news stations the number of checks has increased at least 35% over the last couple of months. I suspect the call takers are writing down the info and checking later.
    Then that right there is the source of the backlog. If they check when the call comes in...no backlog.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    OP, you are spoiled. a 5 day wait would be a big improvement to we gun customers here in Colorado.

A little while ago (? 2 weeks ?), I reported that CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) had stated that they were clogged up with over 10,000 background checks that need to be approved. Well, time has passed and it has been reported that they have a better handle on the situation now. The backlog is down to only 11,000 background checks and the current wait is only 8 days.

So, apparently moving backwards is an improvement in this situation!!??

But, in all fairness, I must report that the Democrats hold the Governor's office, as well as a majority in the State Senate and the State House. With all the levers of power in the hands of the Democrats, they couldn't possibly be playing us into this situation, right?
    BTW---what you and posters in California are describing is what "infringement" looks like....
    Tzadik likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links