Colt 1911

Colt 1911

This is a discussion on Colt 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Enough hoo-ha. Have: 870,PPK/s,and 92FS/M9 (Desert Storm is and M9) I want a 1911. Its that stupid show American Gun that go me interested in ...

Thread: Colt 1911

Colt 1911

Enough hoo-ha.

Have: 870,PPK/s,and 92FS/M9 (Desert Storm is and M9)

I want a 1911. Its that stupid show American Gun that go me interested in the damend things.

After looking at the options I decided that I want a real 1911. No offense, but from what I've seen and read that means "Colt". I don't want the Kimber, or the Wilson, or the SA, or S&W. I want the one with the *Pony*. Its cool. Its the real deal. It doesn't need "breaking in" to work right. I don't want pretenders with stacked mags, DA, or non-standard gimmicks. I sure as heck don't want one from showboat-wyatt.

So now I'm down to models. Series 80 of course (since I want to purchase new) but which model?

CC would be a plus, but I don't want anything less than a 4.25" barrel. Should I just go for the standard 5"?

But wait! It just came to my attention that there is a new(to me) Ruger SR1911 and its all stock standard series 70, except for the titanium firing pin. Hickcock45 just shot the bejesus out of it... I know,it's not a Colt, but it is new Series 70 so that has some appeal for me. I just watched the follow up video, and he mentioned that the Ruger frame is invesment cast; everything else is forged steel.

I'm just not smart enough about 1911's to evaluate the articles about 70 vs 80. I know the changes precisely, but I don't know if I like them. The Ruger Ti pin is too light to fire on inertia and I kind of like that as an alternative to the series 80 solution?

I suppose this has been discussed to death but new models come out all the time, new members bring different ideas and old members might have changed opinions.

What do you folks think?

PS I'd really like to lay hands on one of the 100 year anniversary colts but don't know where to look
    Last edited by bullshark; January 4th, 2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: misspelling, clarification & add link

JD
    Administrator
    Start reading here:

1911 Buyer's Reference Guide - Revised 2009-12-26 that will answer some questions, as for the Anniversary Colts, they stopped taking orders in November 2011 for them (unless it was extended, unlikely) but check around on Gun Broker / Guns America etc. and you may be able to find them.

Got my anniversary model rampant pony. But, he ain't for sale!

Colt also makes the 70 series without the block. But I agree, Colts the real deal, everything else is a copy, and some ain't so good.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

GM
    I should get a Colt Series 70 replica; it does not have firing pin safety:
    Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Catalog > Colt Pistols > Colt Series 70

And if I wanted a Series 80 I should get a blued 1991:
    http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...991Series.aspx
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've got the blued 1991 A1. I don't mind the extra drag on the trigger.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm really fond of the Stainless 1991's. If you can afford the 1911's or Commanders, then I'd sure look at them, but the 1991's are pretty good for the price.

As far as the Ruger goes, not knocking it, but you already said you want a COLT--better stick with that plan, or else you'll just end up with one in the end anyway.

Something magical about holding a Colt in your hand--no other 1911 feels the same. Plus, if you change your mind, they hold their value much better.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Stick with your first choice.... Colt!! I own a dozen and most are hard to find models that are NIB and just for lookin' and fondlin' but my two carry Colts are a 1941 commercial model that someone modernized with Bomars, beavertail, etc. It has no collector value but is one sweet shooting 1911. The second and main carry is a LW Government Model that is with me most of the time. Series 70 or Series 80 makes no real difference. I can't close my eyes and tell the difference in the triggers of my two primary Colts.

Not to sound snobbish but the Colt on the slide is referred to as a pony not a bronco.

If it is your first 1911 it has to be a Colt.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Start reading here:

1911 Buyer's Reference Guide - Revised 2009-12-26 that will answer some questions, as for the Anniversary Colts, they stopped taking orders in November 2011 for them (unless it was extended, unlikely) but check around on Gun Broker / Guns America etc. and you may be able to find them.

Thanks, that site was very helpful.

I knew it was too late to order <dang. double dang>. Collector pressure has probably priced them right out of sensibility. I wish I'd gotten on this bus sooner.

I carry a Colt Defender on a daily basis.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Colt is good, the pony is a classic - but buy new. There was about a decade from the 80s forward until Colt's new O-frame tooling came along that their quality was indifferent.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

IMO..................It's Not A .45 Unless It has A Horse On It.

Links