Best Home Defense Shotgun - Page 2

Best Home Defense Shotgun

This is a discussion on Best Home Defense Shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FWIW, this is a pic of my wife's shotgun. She absolutely loves it. I made the final executive decisions on the build, but it was ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best Home Defense Shotgun

FWIW, this is a pic of my wife's shotgun. She absolutely loves it. I made the final executive decisions on the build, but it was built to her specs. This is what we came up with. The stock is adjustable, and it's left set up for her length. I have enough experience to adjust to it. I wanted a side saddle for extra rounds. She did not want the weight. So no side saddle. I did remove the plug so it will carry an extra round in the tube above the hunting capacity. Extra rounds are in the top dresser drawer. We both agreed that a light was a good idea, so I went pretty minimal there for weight concerns. The barrel was cut down to address the weight issue too. She wanted sites, I tried to talk her out of it, but eventually put on fiber optic rifle sites used for turkey hunting. If nothing else, it has made her more confident at the range. That's enough for me. And ignore the lanyard, I was pocket carrying the flashlight at the time.

My point. If you want her to use this she needs to be intimately involved in the decision. This is not something to buy, bring home, and hope she uses it if she needs it. Get her involved, find out what she wants, and find out what her concerns are. Then work out a solution.

ron8903, l1a1 and 64zebra like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Noob here. I've lurked around here for a while but thought I'd put in my $.02.

The only shotguns I can recommend are the Moss 590, Rem 870 and the Benelli M1/M2/M4. Obviously there is a huge price difference between
    the pumps and the Benellis so if money is a concern I'd go with one of the two pumps. If you have the funds to buy a Benelli, get one. I believe
    they are impossible to beat as a home defense/combat shotgun.

I base these recommendations on my personal observations at one of the larger firearm training facilities during several defensive shotgun
    classes. My last class we fired a little over 800 rnds of buckshot and slug in four days. These were the only three shotguns that didn't have any
    failures. Well, at least not user induced. Most of the guns there were one of these three. I'll second an earlier post, DO NOT buy a cheap knock
    off! There was a cheap Chinese knock off of a 870 and I couldn't believe how many malfunctions it had! A defensive firearm is not the place to
    try and save money. Buy the best that you can possibly afford. I also watched a Ithaca pump, 1100s and a 1187 have problems. If you get a type
    3 malfunction with a 1100 you're screwed. You better have a side arm or you'll be stuck with a stick.

I would also suggest the the shotgun be equipped with some sort of sights. Either a ghost ring or rifle sight with tritium or a red dot optic. It's
    pretty darn hard to hit something in the dark if you don't know where it's pointed.

A good small light mounted on the forearm of the gun would be the next addition. This needs to be able to be switched on and off easily for
    tactical reasons. Turn it on, identify the target, fire, turn it off and move. You don't want to be a bullet magnet.

Lastly I would suggest a magazine extension and/or a side saddle mounted on the receiver. You can never have enough ammo and shotguns
    suffer from this the most. This does add weight but that's a good thing because it helps absorb recoil. You or your wife aren't going to be
    trekking around the countryside with it. You'll be moving short distances and the need for a quick followup shot is more important than a little
    extra weight.

All this being said I would REALLY suggest an AR-15. Much easier for her to shoot, easier to maneuver, far more accurate, far larger magazine
    capacity and less secondary penetration. But you asked about a shotgun and that would be an entirely new thread/argument.

Good luck with your choice and please make sure that whatever you choose that she is comfortable shooting it and well trained. She needs to
    be able to pull the trigger without hesitation if needed and be able to solve any problems and reload it when necessary.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Pump - Mossberg 500.
    Break - Stoeger Coach.
    Semi - Saiga 12.

All good reliable options, and all in the $250-500 range. The local firearm instructor that I've spent some time with suggests a double barrel break as the best HD gun because of it's simplicity under pressure. But practice is always the best cure for solid performance under pressure.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Centurion 12Ga 6 Pellet, 00 Mini-Buck 2in. 10rd boxes

My Westernfield 550 (Mossberg 500) cycles these 12 gauge 2 inchers just fine. Shown beside a 2 inch shell. Greatly reduced recoil. These are the first 2 shots due to concerns for wall penetration in our house. Daughter can follow up better with them also. After that if Mr. BG hasn't figured out he's in the wrong house, there's bigger & better coming at him.
    medmunds21 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

My Mossberg 590A1 works well for me.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love my Remington 887....I have fired hundreds of rounds through it and not one issue.

Quote Originally Posted by true grit View Post
    Two guns by the bed for us. Remington 870 12g on my side and an AR 15 5.56 30 rds for MRS.
    Formidable folks.

Agreed with the pump gun crowd. My Benelli Nova will do, even if it does look like something Chewbacca would carry.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Formidable folks.

Agreed with the pump gun crowd. My Benelli Nova will do, even if it does look like something Chewbacca would carry.
    Another Benelli Nova owner here. Smoothest action of any pumps fondled.

And Chewy only wishes he could carry something as cool as a Nelli
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

The higher end Mossbergs like the 590 or the Remington 870 would be a great choice. I agree with using the low recoil stuff for practice. Her adrenaline will protect her from the recoil in the heat of the moment.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Huh. I'm from a very different school. I'd recommend a 20 gauge semi-auto. A 20 gauge is reasonably incapacitating if you hit, and so the scenario becomes about whether you can safely fire it while tired or injured: a pump shotgun with a bad arm is decidedly harder to use. As well, the follow-up shot becomes critical. In a HD scenario, there should be minimal time lost and minimal accuracy lost if more than one shot are necessary. There're very few cases where one 20 gauge shot was insufficient, but where a 12 gauge would have been. Or, at least, very rarely would a 12 gauge shot be superior to two 20 gauge shots.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

d
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    However, even with internally weighted pistol grips to bring its overall loaded weight up to 9 pounds, the recoil from 3" 12-pellet 00-buckshot generally keeps it from being a weapon for most women and many men.
    Attachment 55461
    Eaglebeak - Get you a Knoxx Breacher grip. It makes even punishing loads manageable on a pistol grip shotgun. And the grip is more ergonomic too. We had a 20" Mossberg 500 with a similar setup that bruised the hell out of our firing hands with little more than a box of 2 3/4" OO buck through it. With the Knoxx, it is like shooting a stiff .410 or maybe a light 20 guage. Wife loves it and we can go through hundreds of rounds without even a second thought. Ask anyone who has a Knoxx stock. They do work.

VIP Member
    I have had a Mossberg 500 for 27 years. It has always worked and I'll bet it has close to 20,000 rounds down the tube. A Mossberg 500, 590 or a Remington 870 are the industry standards. Those two companies have sold tens of millions of those types of shotguns. They have been around in the same configuration for 4 or 5 decades now so all of the bugs are worked out.

The one concern for allot of women is recoil. If you think your wife will be recoil shy then you might want to spend the extra money and get a semi auto tactical shotgun. The semi auto action will eat about 20% of the recoil impetus.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

UPDATE: I appreciate ALL the info and preferred SHOTGUNS to purchase. I went to a gun show hosted in my hometown and purchased the Mossberg 590 for the wife, HD.... What would be the best 12g ammo?
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    UPDATE: I appreciate ALL the info and preferred SHOTGUNS to purchase. I went to a gun show hosted in my hometown and purchased the Mossberg 590 for the wife, HD.... What would be the best 12g ammo?
    2 3/4 inch OO buckshot (pronounced "double ought"). Buy whatever major brand is on sale and buy a bunch of it (Remington, Winchester, Federal).
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

sgb
    You want a load that gives a tight controlled pattern that wont kick the crap out of the Mrs., this is best buck I've ever used.

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets

Bark'n and 64zebra like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links