Best Home Defense Shotgun - Page 3

Best Home Defense Shotgun

This is a discussion on Best Home Defense Shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sgb You want a load that gives a tight controlled pattern that wont kick the crap out of the Mrs., this is ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best Home Defense Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    You want a load that gives a tight controlled pattern that wont kick the crap out of the Mrs., this is best buck I've ever used.

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets

Thanks.... Heading to the store NOW. Can't have a shotgun in the house with no ammo. Lol
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Hello

Well i think Remington 870 will be a good chice...

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    I'm loving that for myself. How much will it hit the pocket???

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    I'm loving that for myself. How much will it hit the pocket???
    I don't recall retail price but I've seen it selling for $575.00 when it's been in stock.

I've never considered anything from Kel-Tec but if this thing works I'm going to give this a shot. But I am going to wait a while longer to read more hands on reveiws...

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    I don't recall retail price but I've seen it selling for $575.00 when it's been in stock.

I've never considered anything from Kel-Tec but if this thing works I'm going to give this a shot. But I am going to wait a while longer to read more hands on reveiws...
    Let me know if you get it. I'm going to study it more because the way it looks & what I've read, it's going to be my NEXT purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    Thanks.... Heading to the store NOW. Can't have a shotgun in the house with no ammo. Lol
    As the ammunition is for your wife's use, you may want to consider "reduced-recoil" tactical 00 buckshot. Both regular and reduced-recoil 00 buckshot will shoot all the way through a human, so both will get the job done. Reduced-recoil 00 buckshot is specifically for use on humans and doesn't kick as hard as the regular 00 buckshot, which is designed to shoot through a deer lengthwise (or at least most of the way).

Any that are loaded..... I keep a winchester superX 2, loaded at the house, it is a multi purpose gun, Bad Guys, Mean Ducks n Geese, Turkeys, Coyotes .....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Well... I see that you've made you choice, and purchase. IMO not a bad one. I guess I got to the thread kind of late. So... I'll preface my comment on your wife being overwhelmed by the .12Ga pump. It is a tiger.

My recomendation would be a modern side by side double bbl. in 20 ga. Of course with a 20" barrel. The 20 Ga is far less intimidating to shoot, and easier to practice with. These guns are easy to manipulate, and have a very simple manual of arms. The hardest part is to remember to take the safety off after loading. But thats the same with any firearm having a manual safety. My specific choice would be a Savage/Stevens 311. Even if as some people do, the gun is stored unloaded, it is as quick to load as any other and quicker than most. I read a comment that even a shotgun cant be relied for a one shot stop. Ahhhh I dont know about that. There may have been someone somewhere at some time who took a shotgun blast and kept coming... But I wouldnt worry about that.

Spuk

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Huh. I'm from a very different school. I'd recommend a 20 gauge semi-auto. A 20 gauge is reasonably incapacitating if you hit, and so the scenario becomes about whether you can safely fire it while tired or injured: a pump shotgun with a bad arm is decidedly harder to use. As well, the follow-up shot becomes critical. In a HD scenario, there should be minimal time lost and minimal accuracy lost if more than one shot are necessary. There're very few cases where one 20 gauge shot was insufficient, but where a 12 gauge would have been. Or, at least, very rarely would a 12 gauge shot be superior to two 20 gauge shots.
    I agree with you that a semi is superior but price may be an issue. Follow up and speed with a pump really aren't that much worse than
    a semi with the proper training, it's more about stance and technique. A 20ga may be the best choice if a 12 is too much for the shooter.
    A 20 with the proper load will definitely put the hurt on a bad guy. But most people don't want 'reasonably incapacitating'. I wan't 'put
    his ass down, first shot'. There are also better HD loads for the 12. A lot of people like a #4 turkey load for a 20. This would definitely
    kill any perp at close range. The only real downside I can think of with a 20 is the spread. A 20 pattern will spread much quicker than
    a 12. Outside of ~10 yards a 20ga pattern is starting to get wider than the perp which isn't good inside your own house. But again most
    in home shots won't be further than 10 yards. It's just something to take into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Well... I see that you've made you choice, and purchase. IMO not a bad one. I guess I got to the thread kind of late. So... I'll preface my comment on your wife being overwhelmed by the .12Ga pump. It is a tiger.

My recomendation would be a modern side by side double bbl. in 20 ga. Of course with a 20" barrel. The 20 Ga is far less intimidating to shoot, and easier to practice with. These guns are easy to manipulate, and have a very simple manual of arms. The hardest part is to remember to take the safety off after loading. But thats the same with any firearm having a manual safety. My specific choice would be a Savage/Stevens 311. Even if as some people do, the gun is stored unloaded, it is as quick to load as any other and quicker than most. I read a comment that even a shotgun cant be relied for a one shot stop. Ahhhh I dont know about that. There may have been someone somewhere at some time who took a shotgun blast and kept coming... But I wouldnt worry about that.

Spuk
    Got to disagree with you regarding the double barrel. Two shots are never enough especially with a 20 ga. You better have a pocket
    full of shells with you. It'll also be far more difficult to reload under extreme stress. A pump with a 6 shot mag extension would be
    FAR superior. A receiver mounted side saddle would be even better. The manual of arms for a pump shotgun is pretty darn simple.
    If you can't work a pump then you really shouldn't be having a firearm in the home. Practice and training with ANY firearm is an
    absolute must! Sorry, but only two guaranteed shots with a 20 ga just isn't enough to protect you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by 590TAC View Post
    Got to disagree with you regarding the double barrel. Two shots are never enough especially with a 20 ga. You better have a pocket
    full of shells with you. It'll also be far more difficult to reload under extreme stress. A pump with a 6 shot mag extension would be
    FAR superior. A receiver mounted side saddle would be even better. The manual of arms for a pump shotgun is pretty darn simple.
    If you can't work a pump then you really shouldn't be having a firearm in the home. Practice and training with ANY firearm is an
    absolute must! Sorry, but only two guaranteed shots with a 20 ga just isn't enough to protect you and your family.

I fully understand and respect your position. As with all my posts I base them on my own training and experience. While a 20 guage is not as potent as a 12... The 20 is hardly anemic. My recomendation was prefaced on a non shooting woman picking up a gun at a most stressfull time. The manual of arms for a pump is simple... to a gunner. A non gun person may have some confusion with it, as each task is so close to the next. With a double barrel it's a lot more simple, and a lot more obvious. Open - load - close - safety off - shoot. As opposed to load through the bottom 5 or 6 times - pump action - Action wont pump? - hit release button, and pump action - safety off - shoot. I'd agree that with regular practice... the pumt is always better. Also the the .12 Ga is a better man-stopper. But if the non-gunner woman is afraid, or unfamiliar with the 12 Ga pump... The 20 Ga double is the better gun for her (in my opinion).

Often when we give our opinions about firearms we tend to insert our own choices, or wish list then defend them for the posters situation. I do try to respond to the information given by the O/P, and his or her situation. As it happens I own both. I've been formally trained to use both. For my own home (apartment) defense I choose the 12Ga double.

A double barrel 20G still kicks like a mule. Reduced 12G still kick and small women usually won't use them. Look at the Mossberg 410 pistol grip...use 3 inch shells with OO Buck, make the last two shots slugs. At closs range , like house, it will stop anyone just as well as a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I fully understand and respect your position. As with all my posts I base them on my own training and experience. While a 20 guage is not as potent as a 12... The 20 is hardly anemic. My recomendation was prefaced on a non shooting woman picking up a gun at a most stressfull time. The manual of arms for a pump is simple... to a gunner. A non gun person may have some confusion with it, as each task is so close to the next. With a double barrel it's a lot more simple, and a lot more obvious. Open - load - close - safety off - shoot. As opposed to load through the bottom 5 or 6 times - pump action - Action wont pump? - hit release button, and pump action - safety off - shoot. I'd agree that with regular practice... the pumt is always better. Also the the .12 Ga is a better man-stopper. But if the non-gunner woman is afraid, or unfamiliar with the 12 Ga pump... The 20 Ga double is the better gun for her (in my opinion).

Often when we give our opinions about firearms we tend to insert our own choices, or wish list then defend them for the posters situation. I do try to respond to the information given by the O/P, and his or her situation. As it happens I own both. I've been formally trained to use both. For my own home (apartment) defense I choose the 12Ga double.
    I also agree with several of your points. A 20 double could be best for an untrained woman/child/sensitive shooter. It would definitely
    kill an assailant. A double is a minimum for a single attacker. You have to have a backup shot in case of a miss. I don't know what
    the stats are but I'm guessing that many home invasions/burglaries have more than one perp. I think that a reduced recoil 12 should
    be considered instead. It's not that much worse than a full power 20 buck with the advantages of the 12 minus a little velocity. Throw
    in the adrenaline dump and the recoil becomes much less of an issue than it is at the range. If it has to be a 20 then, again, I prefer
    a pump or semi in 20. Higher capacity and fewer reloads.

I also preface all of my comments and opinions on the absolute necessity of firearms training and practice. This is not and should
    not be an option. If a person is going to use a firearm as an option for self defense they MUST have training with the weapon. Dry
    fire is the best and easiest form of training. You can practice stance, grip, trigger control, loading/unloading with practice rounds and
    clearing of malfunctions. If the person is not willing to at least do dry practice then I would question if the person should even choose
    a firearm as an option. This would also bring to question whether they would even pull the trigger.

My largest issue with a double is the capacity and the speed of reload. Reloading with loose shells either from a box or in the drawer,
    etc would be very difficult in a stressed situation. The other problem is that you have to do a reload FAR more often. I guess you could
    use a stock mounted shell holder, that would give you a few extra rounds and would make the reload smoother and quicker. A receiver
    mounted shell holder would be preferred for even faster reloads. It's a much smaller movement, less awkward reach and easier to
    keep the weapon mounted to the shoulder. But obviously that's not an option with a double.

I think much of our differences on the manual of arms is based on your starting point. A totally empty weapon. Maybe that's a
    necessity in your location or your family situation. If a totally empty weapon is a hard core requirement then a double may be the
    best choice. I would suggest the the pump should at the very least have an empty chamber with the hammer down, safety on. This
    would only require rack and safety off. This would greatly reduce the difficulty in functioning the weapon. I keep mine chambered,
    safety on. But this is one of those discussions that will be argued for years to come.

What it all comes down to is that you use what you have to get the job done. Just train and practice with it. A weapon that stays leaned
    up in the corner of the room is going to be minimally effective. I'd much rather see someone buy a higher capacity weapon and get
    proper training and practice with it.
    Last edited by 590TAC; January 8th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

Okay, NOW I have to find a place for the wife to practice shooting her NEW shotgun. Our local range will NOT allow us to shoot it because it has a pistol grip

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links