Best Home Defense Shotgun - Page 4

Best Home Defense Shotgun

This is a discussion on Best Home Defense Shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Model88 (2).JPG IMO forget the fancy pistol grip mean looking shot gun for home defense . A plain old Mossberg Maverick model 88 . Low ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best Home Defense Shotgun

Model88 (2).JPG IMO forget the fancy pistol grip mean looking shot gun for home defense .
    A plain old Mossberg Maverick model 88 . Low cost right length and will never fail you. Can be had for 159-185 new US made.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Model88 (2).JPG IMO forget the fancy pistol grip mean looking shot gun for home defense .
    A plain old Mossberg Maverick model 88 . Low cost right length and will never fail you. Can be had for 159-185 new US made.
    I own one already & possibly looking to purchase another where the wife can practice at our local range since they DON'T WANT our pistol grip in
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    I own one already & possibly looking to purchase another where the wife can practice at our local range since they DON'T WANT our pistol grip in
    They are an outstanding low cost 12G that will never fail you. I own a few Shot guns and my 870's are great but they cost a lot more are are for other uses for something that sits in there for house use you just can't beat it right out of the box.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    You want a load that gives a tight controlled pattern that wont kick the crap out of the Mrs., this is best buck I've ever used.

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    YEP, this is awesome stuff, this is what we are issued, I've shot it out to 25yds and all 9 in paper plate, more than adequate to keep in a human chest without a stray piece of shot, within 12yds its one big nasty hole--including taking head shots in a hostage situation--and yes we have practiced this very thing from our 870s

I have had a Mossberg 500A Persuader for the house for almost 15 years, put 1000s of rounds through it, zero problems, wife likes it, can handle it ok, but prefers the AR

Medmuns21....IMO, which is based on experience-not anything else, get the full stock back on that shotgun, will be easier for both of you to handle and be accurate with, especially in a self-defense situation. Pistol grips look cool and have a macho image (or whatever else you can think of), and reduce length to lug around, but they are not helpful for hitting a target like a crackhead that has busted in your house in the middle of the night.
    I like the feel of a pistol grip like on my ARs so I got a full stock with pistol grip for my shotgun and love it.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Did you get the pistol grip only shotgun? Regardless, I'd be looking for another range if possible. Goofy rules annoy me.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Did you get the pistol grip only shotgun? Regardless, I'd be looking for another range if possible. Goofy rules annoy me.
    I've been looking. I checking into an outdoor range not to far from me. Hopefully they are reasonable concerning price.

Okay, NOW I have to find a place for the wife to practice shooting her NEW shotgun. Our local range will NOT allow us to shoot it because it has a pistol grip
    What did you get!?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Okay, NOW I have to find a place for the wife to practice shooting her NEW shotgun. Our local range will NOT allow us to shoot it because it has a pistol grip
    I thought Shoot Straight allowed pistol grip shotguns. If not, make the drive to the Ocala outdoor public range. It's not the greatest and is unsupervised: Ocala2520National2520Forest2520-2520Ocala2520Rifle2520Range
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I got the 590 pistol grip Mossberg.

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    What did you get!?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I thought Shoot Straight allowed pistol grip shotguns. If not, make the drive to the Ocala outdoor public range. It's not the greatest and is unsupervised: Ocala2520National2520Forest2520-2520Ocala2520Rifle2520Range
    Thanks, I will check that out. I usually go to eastorange shooting range due to the proximity.

I have a Mossberg 590 A1 Special Purpose. But I want to get a double barrel because its so short in length. Anybody have any opinions on the new Kel-Tec shotgun?

Rick Saxby,
    Publisher, FightingPhilosophy.com

A saiga 12. with 20 round drum and 00 buck!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Simple, no frills, purpose minded.

Remington 870 with 18.5" barrel and +2 extension.

IMAG0019-1.jpg by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    My Moss 590 SP is my go-to HD weapon of choice. With slugs, I can consistently hit paper at 50 yds with only a bead sight. I'm thinking about putting ghost sights on it just for fun, but don't really need them for HD distances.

Mossberg 590 SP.jpg
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by rcsaxby View Post
    I have a Mossberg 590 A1 Special Purpose. But I want to get a double barrel because its so short in length. Anybody have any opinions on the new Kel-Tec shotgun?

Rick Saxby,
    Publisher, FightingPhilosophy.com
    When I was at the gun shop today, I was looking at a few double barrel shot guns. I own the Mossberg 590 pistol grip & NOW I'm considering below link as well. I NEED an intervention. I'm on a gun craze!!!!

Stoeger Double Defense

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links