Best Home Defense Shotgun

This is a discussion on Best Home Defense Shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by medmunds21 Owning four handguns, I'm considering what shotgun to purchase for the home especially when I'm away & the wife needs to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best Home Defense Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    Owning four handguns, I'm considering what shotgun to purchase for the home especially when I'm away & the wife needs to lay a lowlife thug on the floor with one shot. Is a double barrel preferable? Please advise!!!! Feel free to post pics as well.

Rem 870 with reduced recoil shot from TDSUS. You'll need to drill and train your wife to be effective with what you leave at home in your absence. Remember.....if your loved ones can't make a stand without you then you've failed in some way. Make things easy on them and you'll be making things easier on yourself worrying about it when you're gone. Let your backup choose the weapon they are most likely to use in order to defend what you cannot at the time.
    Semi autos are less work and less recoil IMO. Shotguns as the ultimate home defense strategy may be questioned. My personal tastes have been intentionally left out.

2. Remove Ads

Remington 870 loaded with 00

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    You want a load that gives a tight controlled pattern that wont kick the crap out of the Mrs., this is best buck I've ever used.

Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets

I concur that the Federal low recoil shoots a very tight dispersion pattern through 590SP but sadly will not cycle through 930SPX. The formula that I stock is the LE132-00, marked Tactical Law Enforcement, but it looks the same and has 1145fps velocity just like the Premium line 00-buck.

I would go the 20ga route over 12g reduced recoil for the missus' if there was any chance that she'd ever use it. The Ruger Camp Carbine 9mm is the weapon I will next introduce her to in hopes that she'll adopt it as her own.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by medmunds21 View Post
    I got the 590 pistol grip Mossberg.
    You intend for the better half, a person who admittedly is recoil shy, to take to firing a pistol grip 12GA shotty? I'm sorry but I must question the wisdom of that choice. I like shotguns and even I don't like fiting buck from pistol grip models. They're not half the effective fighting tool of a shotgun with a stock either.

ETA: Your better half isn't recoil but shotgun shy. Sorry I confused the comments from some one else about their wife with yours. Still, I don't think a pistol grip model is a good choice. Firing buckshot from the hip may look cool in TV shows but when danger is imminent and a real life threat is in the house, hip shots from a novice shooter is not likely to carry the day. I hope your wife has the wrist strength to wield that monster.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Here's my new home defense shotgun...Mossberg 590A1

590A1.JPG
    Proud NRA member

The advantage is that you CAN mix your loads. Low-recoil first. More aggressive second.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

In my opinion, the so-called tactical shotgun is just a marketing gimmic for fantasy ninja's.

The best shotgun for home defense is one that you shoot regularly -- at clay birds or for actual hunting. One which with you are familiar and comfortable. You are very unlikely to need an attached flashlight, bayonet, or 8-round magazine. I keep a hunting SxS loaded with #4 birdshot and feel quite safe.

gold40
    Secret Spuk likes this.

don't forget to pattern your chosen ammo.

My shotgun shoots some better than others. Do a search in the shotgun subform for all posts by member 'janq'. He is a wealth of info when it comes to shotguns.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

No matter which shotgun you pick, get an experienced gunfitter to "fit" it to your body. He/she will make sure that the butt fits correctly on your shoulder and that your reach to the forend is comfortable. A shotgun is more of a pointing weapon rather than an aiming weapon so good fit equals accurate pointing.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    In my opinion, the so-called tactical shotgun is just a marketing gimmic for fantasy ninja's.

The best shotgun for home defense is one that you shoot regularly -- at clay birds or for actual hunting. One which with you are familiar and comfortable. You are very unlikely to need an attached flashlight, bayonet, or 8-round magazine. I keep a hunting SxS loaded with #4 birdshot and feel quite safe.

gold40
    Nothing wrong with a tactical style shotgun. They are usually lighter, shorter and easier to manipulate inside a home than a 28" barreled hunting gun. Not all of us hunt ya know. But, I do agree that one should be familiar with the one they have. That is what practice is for.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've actually never heard of an SD instructor recommending a pistol-grip shotgun for HD. A short barrel is a must, but the number of positions from which a pistol-grip can be fired seems lower than that of a normal stock grip. As well, wrestling away a pistol-grip long-gun is much easier than wrestling away a normal long-gun

ymmv, obviously. The HD gun is going to be used 1000x more at the range than in a 'real' situation, so if you're more likely to enjoy the pistol grip at the range, then it's a good idea (because it will boost your ability to practice).
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

My Mossberg Persuader trips my trigger; is it the best, I don't know, but IMO it'll do the job easily and it didn't cost me an arm or a leg.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links