Best Home Defense Shotgun

This is a discussion on Best Home Defense Shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Owning four handguns, I'm considering what shotgun to purchase for the home especially when I'm away & the wife needs to lay a lowlife thug ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Best Home Defense Shotgun

Owning four handguns, I'm considering what shotgun to purchase for the home especially when I'm away & the wife needs to lay a lowlife thug on the floor with one shot. Is a double barrel preferable? Please advise!!!! Feel free to post pics as well.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Mossberg 500, 590. Remington 870. Choose a variation that you like

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Spend a little time at this link to the Defensive Shotgun forum area

Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

You cannot assume a one-shot stop, even with a shotgun.

A double barrel is simple and light weight, put packs some serious recoil with full power shells. You would have to see if your wife would be able to handle it. The other issue is keeping a double barrel shotgun loaded - not all are drop safe.

A pump is a great option, of course. I keep mine with the mag tube loaded, chamber empty, safety off. Just pump it and it's ready to go.

A semi auto would be easier to operate, and have less felt recoil. However, if you use reduced recoil loads, you will need to test it to ensure it feeds properly. Semi autos also cost more than pumps. If your wife will not train with it much, the semi auto eliminates the possibility of short stroking, which exists with a pump action.

Many recommend 20 gauge for women. I do not - the ammo selection is not as good as with 12 gauge. If recoil is an issue, get 12 gauge reduced recoil shells.

JMHOs. Hope this helps.
    Bark'n, swampfrog and 64zebra like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You cannot assume a one-shot stop, even with a shotgun.

A double barrel is simple and light weight, put packs some serious recoil with full power shells. You would have to see if your wife would be able to handle it. The other issue is keeping a double barrel shotgun loaded - not all are drop safe.

A pump is a great option, of course. I keep mine with the mag tube loaded, chamber empty, safety off. Just pump it and it's ready to go.

A semi auto would be easier to operate, and have less felt recoil. However, if you use reduced recoil loads, you will need to test it to ensure it feeds properly. Semi autos also cost more than pumps. If your wife will not train with it much, the semi auto eliminates the possibility of short stroking, which exists with a pump action.

Many recommend 20 gauge for women. I do not - the ammo selection is not as good as with 12 gauge. If recoil is an issue, get 12 gauge reduced recoil shells.

JMHOs. Hope this helps.
    I appreciate the details for a more cautious approach. Wife is NOT that comfortable with guns, especially shot guns due to bad press with novice but curious owners. I explained that I rather have her and the children safe and the would be violator splattered.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

RKM
    Any pump action that functions gets an ok in my book.

Hubby surprised me with a visit to a gentleman selling his Remington 870, fit me well.....and so long as it's snug and away from the shoulder/arm pit it's not that tough to handle. Shoots at 75' very very accurately. As for my home defense weapon I really hope I never have to use it.
    medmunds21, Bark'n and swiftyjuan like this.
    S&W 640-3

Two guns by the bed for us. Remington 870 12g on my side and an AR 15 5.56 30 rds for MRS.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

My wife has a Remington 810 12 ga that she loves. I put a Knoxx adjustable stock on it, so it fits her length of pull better. I also cut the barrel down to 18 3/4", check state law on that before you do it. I took some weight off the front. She practices with standard bulk bird shot from walmart. It's loaded with #4 low recoil buckshot at home. She loves shooting it now that she knows how. Shooting form is very important, especially if she is smaller. Leaning back is natural, but makes for more felt recoil and slower follow up shots. Lean forward.
    swampfrog, 64zebra and Bark'n like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My wife doesn't care for the shotgun. Hates shooting it and tends to close her eyes every time she pulls the trigger. You guessed it, she's one lousy shot with it.
    She picked up my Ruger PC9 carbine a couple years ago and LOVED it. Recoil doesn't beat her up and a lot less noise. The up side, she is a REALLY good shot with it. With that in mind, I fixed the Ruger up as our HD gun for her.
    A win-win in my book. My wife is comfortable with it and it shares magazines with my P89 that resides in the safe next to the bed.

What I'm trying to say is not to force something on your wife that she doesn't want or is not comfortable with. Exploring some other options with her may be she finds something that suits her better.
    Just my two-bits-worth.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

A maverick 88 security, mossberg 500, 590, remington 870, all pump actions, solid, reliable find em anywhere and won't destroy your wallet.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

My 18" barrel (27.5" overall length) 7+1 "fire-breathing dragon" is excellent for quickly maneuvering and sweeping in very close quarters to leave nothing standing much faster than a long gun and can be accurately/repeatedly fired from either breeched position at extremely close range or deadly accurate at long range from the raised/signted position (at full forearm length). However, even with internally weighted pistol grips to bring its overall loaded weight up to 9 pounds, the recoil from 3" 12-pellet 00-buckshot generally keeps it from being a weapon for most women and many men.
    Defensive Shotgun.jpg

While it would be a little more tame with lighter 2-3/4" loads, I still wouldn't recommend trying to force your wife or anyone else to use any gun they weren't fully comfortable in shooting accurately because, contrary to what many believe, you still have to adequately aim a shotgun almost as accurately as a rifle at the generally close range you'll find inside any house.

Gents - if your lady flinches with 00 buck in the 12 gauge, how about trying some of the LE "reduced recoil" rounds? The recoil difference is noticeable, and it might just get your lady over the edge as far as practicing with the shotgun and using it in an emergency.
    64zebra likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    If you do not think she is really going to take to training with the shotgun, let her do a little practice with low brass bird shot. It will allow for familiarization without scaring her away from shooting a shotgun with very little or improper instruction. Then load it up with the good stuff; she will never know the difference if she ever has to shoot it in a life or death situation.

For the gun itself, a 870 or 590 is the best. Do not try and justifying purchasing the cheapest piece of crap you can find like some guys do; my life and certainly my families is worth far more than the few bucks saved- I'm sure yours is too. Buying a well built HD shotgun is not a purchase to cut corners with.
    MattInFla, 64zebra, zacii and 2 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would recommend a Rem 1100/11/87 but for one reason. It cannot have a rd chambered quietly. There may be occasion to do this. So I give a nod to either an older model Rem 870 or Ithaca model 37 12 ga slug bbl w/ rifled sights.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links