Picking firearm for the girlfriend?

This is a discussion on Picking firearm for the girlfriend? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; shes getting her cc permit any day now, and we are beginning the search for a weapon. I realise she needs to go rent some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking firearm for the girlfriend?

shes getting her cc permit any day now, and we are beginning the search for a weapon. I realise she needs to go rent some guns and shoot....shes shot several and so far likes the glock 26 probably the best. What other guns/rifle would be similar in size/price/weight as the glock? Ive had her look at a sig250 and an xdm. She doesnt like my smith 6906, and she doesnt want a revolver. She will mostly be carrying in one of those "gun toting mama" purses, but she would like to be able to carry on her body occasionally too....prob either a bellyband or iwb. What guns am i leaving out?

Unless you're 100% positive that you'll always be faithful to her, deeply respect her, be completely honest with her, and continually treat her like the finest lady in the world, then I would recommend one of those $10 Marksman BB-pistols - just in case

VIP Member
    I would never try to steer anyone who likes one away from a Glock, but I would recommend trying the M&P before deciding.

M&P Compact
    S&W XD in the 3.8

VIP Member
    If she wants a compact pistol I'd recommend the C75 P-01, I'd also have her look at the Kahr CW9.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GLOCK vs. Kahr

I have both. Given her method of carry the GLOCK/XD/M&P may prove too bulky. If you have access to the GLOCK let her try it a few days. If it don't work well I second the Kahr recommendation. The felt recoil (somewhat subjective I know) of the Kahr 9's is less than the GLOCK.

Personal preference. My Angel carries in a holster purse and she carries (and is deadly with) either her Glock 26 or her Sig P238 with a spare mag for each.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

Quote Originally Posted by targeting View Post
    What guns am i leaving out? Is this rifle perfect for female?
    Whats the deal with you throwing in links to things all the time? If you are close to the Hornady family like you said in a previous post I am sure they can give you good advice also. The link he has is the same to the sniper rifle he had in a previous post
    You can get your advice from somebody other than me

Previous Post by Targeting

Previous Post by Targeting:
    I've shot a gun twice in my life. The local range is less than a mile away and looking for something

to take over there. I don't plan on hunting, just range shooting. With a range that close by and

connections on ammo with Hornady in the family, I figure I better take advantage. It's something

I've always had some interest in, just don't know where to start. Any suggestions? I've been told

to check out the sniper rifle. If I went with either a rifle or handgun first, I'm sure I'd get

the other down the road.

Sniper Rifle was a link to an airsoft gun in the original post

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Previous Post by Targeting:
    I've shot a gun twice in my life. The local range is less than a mile away and looking for something

to take over there. I don't plan on hunting, just range shooting. With a range that close by and

connections on ammo with Hornady in the family, I figure I better take advantage. It's something

I've always had some interest in, just don't know where to start. Any suggestions? I've been told

to check out the sniper rifle. If I went with either a rifle or handgun first, I'm sure I'd get

the other down the road.

Sniper Rifle was a link to an airsoft gun in the original post
    Yeah, he was a spammer. I removed the majority of his posts. A couple, like this thread, generated some useful conversation. So I removed the links and left the posts up to preserve the discussions.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

okee dokee

I realize you said she shot some already and likes the Glock but has she loaded it herself and cocked a round in the chamber and then shot?? Or did you just hand her the gun and say here shoot? Only reason i ask this is because im looking for a gun for my wife also and just trying different guns i have at home for example she could not cock the springfeild 45 xd i have to get around in the chamber! So obviuosly it will be a revolver for her. She actually did really good with the Taurus Ragingbull 44 mag i have and said she really likes the gun. But thats obviously not a CCW gun. Probably going to get her a small 38 +P revolver..

If you can afford it, and she wants something small to carry - go for the SIG P238. They come in all kinds of colors, different grips, etc. My wife loves hers.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Unless you're 100% positive that you'll always be faithful to her, deeply respect her, be completely honest with her, and continually treat her like the finest lady in the world, then I would recommend one of those $10 Marksman BB-pistols - just in case
    You could put your eye out with one of those things!

Bcm boner

Start her off with no larger than a 9mm (empty) that you may have available and go through use of the gun safety thoroughly, always stressing that any firearm should be handled as though it is loaded and deadly. Take her to a gun shop and let her handle the different guns to pick the one that feels the best and that she is comfortable with. If a person whether it is a man or woman is not comfortable with the weapon, then don't buy it until you find one that does feel good in the hand. Supply the one you love or care about with the right tool that can get the job done and usually any adult female can handle and shoot a 9mm which will stop any intruder when hit in the right placement with 1-3 shots. A gun course is essential for any newbie as the instructor has proven professional knowledge and has no problem of correcting safety and shooting shortcomings with someone they have no personal knowledge of. This is for a weapon a woman carries on her. As for home protection, nothing beats a Remington 870 pump loaded with 00 Buckshot. Nothing better for that intruder to hear than the racking of a 12 Gauge 00 buckshot shell into the gun chamber just prior to the intruder being delivered to his maker. Have a good day and be prepared. CLIFF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links