Sig DAK trigger?

Sig DAK trigger?

This is a discussion on Sig DAK trigger? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How light is the trigger pull on the DAK model? I know the website says 6.5 pounds. I have never actually held one so how ...

Thread: Sig DAK trigger?

Sig DAK trigger?

How light is the trigger pull on the DAK model? I know the website says 6.5 pounds. I have never actually held one so how does it feel in comparison to the trigger pull on Glock? Because the H&K handguns w/ their LEM trigger (dao) are not as light as they are said to be. So for anyone who has a DAK Sig or that has shot one please chime in.

Thank, Joey.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

My HK's (P2000sk and USPf .45) both have LEM triggers with 4.5# pull. You can easily modify the standard 8# trigger pull to the lighter spec by changing two tiny springs, less than $15 in parts. I know for CCW, the 4.5# pull is very comfortable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    How light is the trigger pull on the DAK model? I know the website says 6.5 pounds. I have never actually held one so how does it feel in comparison to the trigger pull on Glock? Because the H&K handguns w/ their LEM trigger (dao) are not as light as they are said to be. So for anyone who has a DAK Sig or that has shot one please chime in.

Thank, Joey.
    Its apples and oranges really. The DAK trigger is a longer pull and has a different break to it. The Glock trigger is shorter. I think you can get used to any trigger pull and would do just fine with it, though some don't care for the DAK.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    My son carries his 229 DAK and after several sessions has really gotten used to it.

Senior Moderator
    DAK triggers are one of the worst ideas to hit the firearms market.

I absolutley despise them or any other sort of DAO trigger mechanism.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sir,can you explain your view in more detail?

I was thinking about DAK for two reasons, 1 the same pull everytime,2 no decocker to mess with.
    TIA

Senior Moderator
    Since you asked...

The DAK pretty much simulates the long double action pull of a revolver, although not as heavy as most revolvers.

The mechanism itself is hard to master for most people. I have seen many people at the range, new shooters mostly, get frustrated because that long pull just doesn't lend itself to good accuracy. The gun moves around a lot in the hand and there is no telling where the sights may actually be when the shot actually fires. If you really want to see how it works, take a gun with a laser mounted on it and watch it dance around the target.

The mechanical decocker is not an issue. I've never heard about one failing, and even if it did, if one obeys the rules of safety it would be fired in a safe direction.

Also, a single action first shot, is better for precision shooting. I doubt that anyone with much experience at all would argue that and I personally don't think that the single double action is as much of an issue as most people think it is.

The DAK was designed because people have been dumbed down to the point that having one way to shoot is easier for trainers to train on, easier for people that wont practice enough to really become proficient, and its actually safer,although not as accurate.

Although I have seen some accurate shooting by people that use them, those people are the sort that could pick up most any gun and shoot it well. Unfortunately most people aren't like that.

I see it as a compromise at best.

On the other hand, if one can shoot it well and has confidence in their ability to efficiently use it, thats really all that matters.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Personally, I like the 229DAK. I've spent a lot of time learning and practicing the first pull of a DA/SA and the transition, so shooting DA with every shot isn't an issue. It's worth mentioning that the DAK trigger does have a reset that is a shorter pull but slightly heavier at 8.3 lbs. The trigger pull is much smoother than a stock Glock but also much, much longer.

I like the double stack capacity and the weight makes it a soft shooter, but some may consider the weight a disadvantage for carry. I like the smoothed hammer for concealed carry to reduce the chance of a snag on cover garments. I also feel a little more comfortable reholstering the DAK trigger compared to the Glock (which I also carry) just because my thumb rests on the hammer and I can feel the action move if the trigger is being pressed rearward by clothing or an object in the holster.

I've owned mine for about six years and had zero issues although I did upgrade the mainspring after hearing about light primer strikes on some early models.

Now, with all that said, I've had several people shoot it and I don't think any of them liked it. People just seem to prefer the single action, DA/SA or Safe Action triggers.
    Last edited by OldMick; January 5th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Links