Giant guns sales numbers in 2011

This is a discussion on Giant guns sales numbers in 2011 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glad to see. Someone said maybe all these sales due to smaller number of LEO's due to cutbacks. Gun sales break records before Christmas, as ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By multistage

Thread: Giant guns sales numbers in 2011

Giant guns sales numbers in 2011

Glad to see. Someone said maybe all these sales due to smaller number of LEO's due to cutbacks.

Gun sales break records before Christmas, as FBI reports gun dealers ordered 1.5M background checks in December - NY Daily News
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From article:

The increase in gun sales could be linked to Americans’ fears of shrinking police forces, according to a spokesman for the National Rifle Association.

“I think there’s an increased realization that when something bad occurs, it’s going to be them and the criminal,” the spokesman, Andrew Arulanandam, told CNN.

^^^^^^^This, IMHO^^^^^^

Was an irresponsible thing for someone from the NRA to say.

If somebody buys a firearm, predicated on the notion, that they may encounter a evil-doer, just because there MAY be less police officers on the street, they are either young and naieve, or they are not thinking clearly.
    When you look at the odds of having a run-in with some knuckledragger, The chances that there will be a police officer, close enough to either stop the attack, or deter it altogether, are probably the same as if there were a bazillion LEO in this country, or only one.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't know if you know who The Young Turks are but they did a story on this and basically blamed the increase in gun sales on the NRA fear mongering, telling people that Obama is going to take their guns. The girl reporting the story stressed that 1.5 million was just the number of background checks that were run and didn't even include the figures from dealers that don't do background checks, obviously showing her ignorance that ALL dealers are required to do background checks.

Guns For Christmas - YouTube

There are a lot of people from Germany, UK, Sweden, Canada posting in the comments section how Americans are stupid fat rednecks with gun fetishes blah blah blah.

All those guns for Christmas and I didn't even get one!
    atctimmy and jem102 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by slacking View Post
    I don't know if you know who The Young Turks are but they did a story on this and basically blamed the increase in gun sales on the NRA fear mongering, telling people that Obama is going to take their guns. The girl reporting the story stressed that 1.5 million was just the number of background checks that were run and didn't even include the figures from dealers that don't do background checks, obviously showing her ignorance that ALL dealers are required to do background checks.

There are a lot of people from Germany, UK, Sweden, Canada posting in the comments section how Americans are stupid fat rednecks with gun fetishes blah blah blah.
    Not every gun transaction through an FFL requires a NICS. I bought a firearm from an FFL in December and he did not do a NICS background check and it was legal. I have a CHL and here in TX a NICS background check is not required for those with a CHL. That 1.5 MM figure is low, since it does not count those who do not need a NICS check or private sales which do not require a NICS check.

Yeah, I know it doesn't count private sales, I said "DEALER". If your a FFL you either have to run a NIC or the purchaser must have an approved state issued license already. I presume the background check you had to submit to is even more thorough than the NIC database and that's why it's accepted. BUT in either case, you do NOT get to buy a gun through a FFL dealer without a background check being performed either prior to (when you were licensed by your state) or at the time of purchase (through the NIC database).

Quote Originally Posted by slacking View Post

Yeah, they call us this and they call us that, but when they get into trouble they will surely call us.
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    From the article:
    According to Caroline Brewer of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the surge comes from repeat buyers, and doesn’t necessarily mean more people are buying guns, CNN reported. “The research we’ve seen indicates fewer and fewer people are owning more and more guns,” Brewer said. “All the trends indicate the number of Americans who own guns has declined.
    Emphasis mine. As has been mentioned in other threads, there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. Personally, I think it is a good sign that the Brady Bunch is in clueless denial. It is better than them realizing they are losing and mobilizing their minions.

Quote Originally Posted by slacking
    Yeah, I know it doesn't count private sales, I said "DEALER". If your a FFL you either have to run a NIC or the purchaser must have an approved state issued license already.
    And this is why the NICS queries as a measure of the gun sales is LOW, because those with a per-approved license don't get counted. My wife and I bought two handguns from dealers in the month of December, neither of them resulted in an NICS check.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    All those guns for Christmas and I didn't even get one!
    Don't feel bad, I didn't either.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I plan to start the new year with a purchase, I have to wait until 30 Jan when my son turns 21. The gun is for him, he will fill out the paper work my participation is to make sure he gets good advice and picks a quality gun.

Oh my other role in this purchase is cash carrier. This will be an early Parmedic grraduation, birthday, and all around good kid gift.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There has never been a LEO "around" when I needed one. On occasion they have responded rather quickly once I sorted my way through the 911 system. Something about that "help needed in seconds is only minutes away" thing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links