S&W Military & Police Revolver year?

This is a discussion on S&W Military & Police Revolver year? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just placed an M&P on layaway. I was trying to figure out the year. The serial number is C422XXX. From what I gathered they ...

Thread: S&W Military & Police Revolver year?

S&W Military & Police Revolver year?

I just placed an M&P on layaway. I was trying to figure out the year. The serial number is C422XXX. From what I gathered they switched to calling them model 10's in 1957.

Does anyone know of a chart or something that shows what serial numbers are from what year. I think its 1959, but that would make it a model 10. Unless they overlapped or had a delay before enacting the change.

Anyhow, if anyone has an info on which year goes with which serial numbers would be great. Also, if they could differentiate between model 10 and M&P. Unfortunately I do not have the gun in my possession, so I cannot provide any more information off the firearm.

I didn't bother reading all the markings at the time. The gun was sound and priced like a model 10 so I didn't care much. Had to pay them before I would realize impulse buys are bad.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    1958 or 1959 most likely. Call S&W Customer Service - they can tell you the date of manufacture of your revolver if you give them the serial number.

good to know. I saw they charge $50 but I do not need the paperwork. just a number

I'm gonna say 1959 also. It should have "MOD 10" stamped on the inside of the front of the frame, visible only when the cylinder is opened. The first designated revision, the introduction of the Heavy Barrel variation, was made in 1959 as I recall so the stamping could instead read "MOD 10-1," if the revolver is the Model 10 Heavy Barrel. Its side plate should have 3 screws and the cylinder stop plunger screw should still be located at the top of the front of the trigger guard.

I'm guessing that, with that serial number range, it will be stamped as a Model 10. Smith and Wesson began the numeral model designations in 1957.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links