ccw vs huntersafety

This is a discussion on ccw vs huntersafety within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hey all, i have to comment on this subject because it is a current delema i am going thru, ..... i am ex-military, and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: ccw vs huntersafety

ccw vs huntersafety

hey all, i have to comment on this subject because it is a current delema i am going thru, ..... i am ex-military, and have a ccw permit, currently trying to get hunters safety, what is the delema you ask? well i will tell you,,,,, not sure how it is in other states, but in wyoming to get a ccw permit, you have to take a class or be ex leo, military and such and of course the other stipulation put forth by local sheriff..... now my dd214 proves that i am safe with my weapon for ccw, how come it does not serve to show that i am safe with requards to hunters safety, i am very confused be cause if you have hunters safety it qualifies you to get ccw, but the ccw does not qualify you to get hunters safety??? can some one explain please...

2. Remove Ads

Simple. Hunter safety courses have little to do with basic gun handling, but focus instead on game laws, game identification, safety afield (e.g., they don't teach you about crossing fences in the CCW courses I've taken...) and about being an ethical hunter.

In other words, it's not just about carrying the gun. Is there some problem that keeps you from taking the course?
    Hopyard, oneshot and BitReaver like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

but i learned about crossing fences , rivers, mountains, and many other obstacles in the military, granted not much taught on game laws and animal identification, hek, i even learned how to repel safely out of a helo, abnd jump out of a plane safely with a weapon or two strapped to my carcus lol, i feel this should count for something

It's a formality. You'll just have to take the educational course, and go with it. The good news is, if you take a hunters education course in one state, that meets the requirements for almost all other states.

Sometimes you just have to jump through the hoops. Even if it is stupid to have to do so.
    oneshot likes this.

My hunters safety course focused on game laws and safety equipment such as high vis gear. Not a lot of that in ccw or military training.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    the CCW courses I've taken...) Is there some problem that keeps you from taking the course?
    yes, my job does not provide for me to be home a lot, i am on the road 11 months out of the year with no way to guarantee when i will be able to take course, i have in fact taken the online course and only need the field day, but again i can not say when i will be able to be in town to do that, as i am on call 24/7/365 ,

It's the law...it doesn't have to make sense.

But IMHO they are apples and oranges. Hunter safety education, military training and CCW training are all different subjects that are not interchangeable. As examples, my wife has a little of 24 years in the military. She hasn't touched a military handgun in 23 years. I know that she wasn't prepared to CCW with her military training, now if she had spent more time as a MP, that might have changed things.

If the hunter safety education was taught to the military, we would lose most of our soldiers in battle. The military training doesn't teach the same level of safety as a hunter education course.

Of course, don't take this wrong. I am not dismissing the value of military training.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by dwp4335 View Post
    yes, my job does not provide for me to be home a lot, i am on the road 11 months out of the year with no way to guarantee when i will be able to take course, i have in fact taken the online course and only need the field day, but again i can not say when i will be able to be in town to do that, as i am on call 24/7/365 ,
    Maybe you can find a sympathetic instructor who'll be willing to do a special, one-on-one field session with you.

On the other hand, if you're on the road 11/12 of the year and on call 24/7/365, isn't it equally hard to find time to hunt?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

ccw classes teach laws, rules, saftey, etc. of carrying, hunters saftey course focuses on game laws, I just went thru this situation a few years back, I'm active army scout that's been thru a couple specialized schools as well one in particular trains in the art of long range marksmanship, but none of it mattered, federal law has some dumb rules and laws but I learned from each class...it sucks but ya gotta play the game and check the block.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

your absolutely right, i find my self in a bit of a pickle, ( so to speak) , and that is what brings up my formentioned concern, i want to be legal with firearms and love having them, i started teaching them to my kids a very early ages, anyways, yea i find my self in a delema from both sides, lol, oh well, i dont want them to just sign off on huntersafety but would like to find an instructor that would work with me on the field day.

VIP Member
    All different. All worthwhile. It is decades since I took a hunter safety course as a teenager (I do not hunt), but that was a very valuable well spent weekend in my Boy Scouting career.

If you think you don't need it you are probably the guy who says he doesn't need to ever take a defensive driving course. That too was something I thought would be a big joke until after my employer began requiring them. Took it twice and benefited a lot even though I'd been driving for years and years.

If your hunter's safety trainer is any good, you'll learn good stuff. Do it. There's stuff in there that can benefit you to know if you are ever choosing to carry a SD rifle or shotgun in your vehicle. Because, even if you aren't hunting, there are hunting laws that come into play.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hopefully you can find one to work with ya, I'd go insane if I didn't get my hunting time in...good luck, if you can schedule a class to be a Nra certified instructor...I'm getting certified on one course at a time and once that makes me enuf money I pay and enrollment in another.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by dwp4335 View Post
    abnd jump out of a plane safely with a weapon or two strapped to my carcus lol, i feel this should count for something
    hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,abnd jumped? Never heard that one before from someone that has been to airborne school. Must be a new phrase
    But on topic, hunting has zero to do with military experience.
    BTW: What do you do for work?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Maybe you can find a sympathetic instructor who'll be willing to do a special, one-on-one field session with you.

On the other hand, if you're on the road 11/12 of the year and on call 24/7/365, isn't it equally hard to find time to hunt?

^^^^^UM^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was thinking the same thing.

If you are gone all that time, and cannot even plan on being there for one day, when would you fon time to hunt.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    If you want to hunt you will find the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links