Talk to me about double rifles

This is a discussion on Talk to me about double rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was going through my magazine rack and found an American Rifleman dated Aug 2009. I kept this particular one because it had some fascinating ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Talk to me about double rifles

Talk to me about double rifles

I was going through my magazine rack and found an American Rifleman dated Aug 2009. I kept this particular one because it had some fascinating articles on double rifles.

The Lure of the Double Rifle

Doubles have always been a part of romanticized hunting in Africa. I have read several stories about Selby and Ruark, their hunts and rifles.

I will probably never own one of these rifles, and never go on safari in Africa. So, I read every story that I come across.

Any of you guys have first hand Africa and/or double rifle stories and experiences? If so, I'm all ears
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I held the same facination with these stories and the men who carries these rifles.

I know of two people who have hunted Africa. My boss, who is a Millionaire, and told us of some of his encounters.
    The other is my son's friends dad who works at the facility which used to be the tank arsenal in Warren Mi.
    He works for a company that does a lot of contract work for the government and he has gone over a couple times on budget trips, where he helps out with certain chores, packing for road trips, cooking etc, to keep the cost down.
    His family room has many animals on the wall.
    Greater Kudu, Elands, Gemsboks, warthogs, and more.
    I don't think either one of them used doubles in their excursions.
    I can't tell you a thing about the Double rifles tho, except they are expensive.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Long ago, I stayed up till 3 AM to call Holland & Holland in London. I spoke with a Mr Brown, who promised to send me some "literature" on their guns. He did. I still have it. I knew I could never afford a Royal, but was interested in a bolt gun, or "magazine rifle", as the Brits call it. Got a price list with endless options to add to the base price. The larger the caliber, the larger the price tag. I thought I could swing about 15-18 grand or so (this, obviously, was pre-marriage). So I added up what I wanted. Hmmmm. Price is in pounds. Called a friend at the bank and asked him to convert that number to dollars. Well, I don't have a Holland. 38,000 bucks for a bolt action rifle seemed a bit much. But I love them. To me, they redefine the word "classic". Wife knows if we win the big one, first trip is to London, where, my friends, I will drop a heckuva lotta cash. But I will post pics.

VIP Member
    The double rifles I have seen have been very beautiful with price tags to match, my fascination has always been drillings would love to own a 20ga over a 7MM Mauser, maybe if I hit the lottery.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Considering the cost, the closest I'll ever come to owning a Double Rifle is a Side by Side 12 gauge loaded with slugs.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    At the grand old age of 16, skinny little naive me ended up on a SC deer hunt with a borrowed .458 Mag double. Didn't see any dear, but at the after-hunt gun club session, I was instructed by the owner (well-off guy who made several trips to Africa) to take a shot at the target (5-gal paint can @100 yrds) if I wanted to. So I did . . . and managed to fire both barrels almost simultaneously. It literally knocked me on my arse. First time-last time I delt with the .458 for any reason. I decided that elephants in Africa had a right to live also.
    Last edited by OldVet; January 8th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
    multistage likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A year or so ago there was a FFL dealer at one of our gun shows that converted some 12G side by side into a 45/70(and other cals) double rifles....thought about getting one but decided not to.

Found doubles at Cabela's

Priced less than a new atv: http://www.cabelas.com/gun-library-s...e-rifles.shtml

It would be fun to take a .45-70 double on a pig hunt. Kind of a poor man's dangerous game hunt.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Links