Darn the blasted S&W M 10!

Darn the blasted S&W M 10!

This is a discussion on Darn the blasted S&W M 10! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the gun show today, looking for another N framed anything 41mag or 44. After a out an hour of looking, there in the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Darn the blasted S&W M 10!

Unhappy Darn the blasted S&W M 10!

Went to the gun show today, looking for another N framed anything 41mag or 44. After a out an hour of looking, there in the middle of dime a dozen tactical crap was two M10s, with tapered barrels. Both were square butt frames, one blue and one nickel. As I observed the lookers, noone even gave them a look. My, my what is the world coming to?

I pushed my way thru the nimrods and greenhorns, and asked to see them. The blue model was a little tighter than the nickel, but both very good 90% or better guns.

In 30 seconds I was reaching for my wallet. I left with the blue model, but will probably go back tomorrow for the nickel model.

I am starting an M 10 orphanage. In my opinion, the k frame revolvers that S&W produced in earlier years are the finest revolvers ever produced in mass numbers. In the hands of someone with some salt, they can hold their own against any high end gun of any design or caliber, in any shooting discipline one wants to participate.

In this world of hi cap bottom feeders, and even the feather light revolvers, it boggles my mind why anyone would pass them up. But, that leaves more for me.

Of all the guns I have ever owned, and have now, I cannot think of a better do it all handgun for the greenhorn or expert alike. Loaded with a cheap hardcast swc, they will consistently perform as well or better than expensive designer bullets over a wide range of applications, regardless of barrel length.

It is to the shootist what the 30 06 is to the rifleman. If I could only have one handgun, I could get along just fine with an M10, of any 4 inch barrel configuration to get me along happily the rest of my life.

If we ever meet, don't be suprised to find ol Gman with a holstered M 10, with my hardcast handloads. I pity the thug who would think I'm underarmed.
    wmhawth, zacii, ctr and 10 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I don't care if it looks like any other M 10, I wanna see it
    pistola and marcclarke like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sounds like you had a good day Gman. The last time I got lucky at a gun show I left with a Model 15-5 in the original box. I paid too much but still left happy.

"M10 orphanage" - great line!

Please, Sir, may I have some more?

I share your sentiments about the basic K frame... I think I need to give mine more trail time, just need some appropriate leather.

What's your favorite .38 handload?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

GM
    Glockman, you are a lucky dog! Congrats. And go a get the nickel one too before it is gone.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Happy you spotted them! It's nice to get something you like!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    "M10 orphanage" - great line!

Please, Sir, may I have some more?

I share your sentiments about the basic K frame... I think I need to give mine more trail time, just need some appropriate leather.

What's your favorite .38 handload?
    I have found a lswc at 158 weight, over 5 to 5.4 grns of Unique to be about superb for everything that I could ever need.
    pistola likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    The Model 10 is an excellent model. I agree that the k frames produced by S&W in the 70's and 80's are the finest revolvers ever made. Their fit and finish is phenominal.

Wink Addictive

I have four various Model 10's,one Model 12, and one Model 13. S&W Military and Police revolvers are dear to my heart.
    Always looking for another.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have my Dad's model 10 he bought when he came home from WWII. Still tight still accurate & yes I to "pity the fool" that would ever ever think one was "underarmed" when carrying the S&W model 10!

What a coincidence... I also run a home for wayward Model 10 revolvers. I just cant pass one up. I just saw one in 75% condition, a Sq Butt, 4" heavy barrel in a pawn shop... $185. on it... and this guy will always take 20 or 30 bucks off is asked. Whats a fella to do?

Fun to read your post, Gman. Gotta love the classic Smith & Wesson Model 10, both for the part it has played in American history and the part it still plays with countless American shooters who are fortunate to an example for self defense or for shooting entertainment. The Model 10 really is a far superior way to do the .38 Special than these stunted, light weight, or plastic revolvers marketed these days. The .38 Special is a better cartridge than to be relegated to nothing more than small snubs.

Well, I guess I'm running the southwestern branch of the home for wayward Model 10s. Doesn't matter whether they are trash or treasures, I'll give 'em a home. The cool thing about them is consistent performance. They all seem to shoot to the same point of aim using 158 grain bullets with their fixed sights and all seem nicely zeroed.

I'd have probably left with the blued example first too but those shiny nickel Smith & Wessons sure can catch the eye. I'd probably be going back for the other too.

I'll always oooh and ahhh over photos of Model 10s.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I post pics of them when my lap top is fixed, unless someone wants to give me their e mail address, and I can send the pics from my IPhone and they can post them here for me.

There are two at the shop as range rentals and they are wokimg just fine after untold thousands of rounds. I'm going to take both home ( one tapered barrel, one heavy ) when they finally retire again.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Wayward Model 10s are worth rescuing for sure. Once they find a way into my cabinet they are wayward orphans no more. I came across this 3" version some years back and it remains one of my favorites.
    Attached Images
    bmcgilvray, Dadsnugun and jd70 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links