?'s about North Carolina Armed security guard employment

This is a discussion on ?'s about North Carolina Armed security guard employment within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Kind of confused about Nc's protective services, maybe some of you can help me read between the lines. I am wondering if I or a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boricua

Thread: ?'s about North Carolina Armed security guard employment

?'s about North Carolina Armed security guard employment

Kind of confused about Nc's protective services, maybe some of you can help me read between the lines.

I am wondering if I or a person wanted to go through the personnel protective services which certifies armed security guards, is that a course that you just fill out an application and send it in and wait for a class date? or is it more like, the way im reading it is " you have to be employed by a security company first and then go through alot of red tape?

I ask this question because every time i see a job opening it says or reads" armed security guard needed must have current license" which confuses me because at the protective service board website, I believe it reads" once a qualified or licensed armed guard leaves or quits 15 days later their armed license is expired.

which confuses me more, so does nc protective services make it mandatory for an individual to be employed by a security company first which makes all those job openings for licensed guards confusing

anyone out there spin me up?

2. Remove Ads

Here's the NC statute on armed security, it may shed some light for you.

GS_74C-13

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Here's the NC statute on armed security, it may shed some light for you.

GS_74C-13
    Still does not explain the job postings that read " must have current license" when the statue reads" 15 days after termination license is voided"

so, are guys job hoping alot?

I worked as an unarmed security guard in NC. The "guard card required" in job postings is just the companies being lazy and hoping to hire a current guard. A lot of guards just bounce to whatever company pays them more (which varies by assignment). If you are interested in the job apply anyway. If you are qualified the company will get you the card. You might have to work an unarmed assignment temporarily, but the cards usually don't take long to get.

Quote Originally Posted by jlately View Post
    I worked as an unarmed security guard in NC. The "guard card required" in job postings is just the companies being lazy and hoping to hire a current guard. A lot of guards just bounce to whatever company pays them more (which varies by assignment). If you are interested in the job apply anyway. If you are qualified the company will get you the card. You might have to work an unarmed assignment temporarily, but the cards usually don't take long to get.
    Thank you jlately i figured it was something like that.

I used to be a PPS instructor in NC a few years back, simply to certify my employees without having to pay someone else. The PPS should be able to provide you a list of instructors in the state for you to contact and schedule the class (16 hrs, I believe). They usually charge about $100 or so, depending on how many students they have.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

And by the way, it is "Private Protective Services" and not "personnel protective services."
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    And by the way, it is "Private Protective Services" and not "personnel protective services."
    So, all that going in front of a pps board and sending picture and application can be worked around?

If you find an instructor, take the class from them and then submit app?

also said you only have 30 days after being certified to be hired.

crazy nc

Getting a Security Guard License
    You may check this out if you want to undergo training and get your license if you still don't have one. Good luck!

It is interesting that NC is so concerned about certification for armed guards since armed guards have no authority past that of anyone else, save being allowed to carry while working if they work at a place that would be otherwise prohibited and having the power to detain for retail theft if they work somewhere that does retail sales. Of course any store employee can detain for retail theft.

The only people in NC with powers of arrest are LEOs within their jurisdictions or county LEOs anywhere in the state for a felony committed within their jurisdictions.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Law Enforcent

This is an update on what Landric said: Security Agencies that provide services to county and city may arrest on the property grounds that it is assign to
    them.

In nc security guards are only a visual bluff. They have so many restrictions upon them. If they see something the best thing they can do is report to the manager of the business and call the police to come. They have no more authority then an average citizen. Just a paid set of eyes with a uniform on. Unarmed with a uniform and a badge will get killed fast out in the publics eye these days. A fools job IMHO even an armed position.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Links