Vague thread titles aren't helping

This is a discussion on Vague thread titles aren't helping within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems more and more there are vague thread titles here. I see them regularly over on the high road, now DC is getting polluted ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 10 Post By paramedic70002
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 3 Post By limatunes

Thread: Vague thread titles aren't helping

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

It seems more and more there are vague thread titles here. I see them regularly over on the high road, now DC is getting polluted with them.

Things like "I can't believe this" or "Did you see this" really shouldn't be thread titles.

Make the title relevant, save the commentary for the body of the message. Save us all a lot of time and let us only read the threads that might interst us.

Please.

RANT OFF
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'm with you on this point. They do make for a tedious rundown.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

+1. Relevant thread titles will also help those searching for info in the future. I personally limit my searches to subject only because I don't like searching through a mult-page thread to find my word mentioned once.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I agree.

VIP Member
    It's almost as aggravating as multiple postings of the same story. I think the 18 year old mother in Oklahoma story was posted at least 6 times. If your going to post a story, check to see if it is already running. There are no prizes given for being the first to post a story.
    Tally XD likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Archer51, I agree!! Did you notice, depending upon which news was running the story, her age ran all the way from 14 and up? Also, I agree with the OP, it's so aggravating to read some fancy title, that some idiot posted, just to be first in line, he thinks, as well as being something sensational, like the National Enquirer. Make the title fit the subject.

Senior Moderator
    I also agree. Which is why, as a mod, I will often change vague thread titles (ESPECIALLY in scenario threads)... nothing is more frustrating than clicking on some boring thread because of some vague title and, worse, clicking on it again because there's another vague thread and you can't distinguish the two.

One day we had four "what would you do" threads running at the same time. That's when I decided enough was enough. If I see a vague thread title you can pretty much expect it to be changed.

I agree.
    Thread titles decide if I click the thread or not while scrolling through the active topics.

How about titles like:

"I'm so mad..."

"Is this legal...?"

"Self-defense"

"A bear walks into a bar.."

But yeah, I get what you are saying. I guess my pet peeve is lack of use of the function. If one can Google, one can use the search function...give 5 minutes to research before posting a thread that starts out "chambered/unchambered...loaded/unloaded....IWB/OWB....open carry or CC...spare mag or no spare mag.....tastes great/less filling....9mm vs 45 (or vs .40)...SIG vs Glock....1911 vs everything else....What kind of EBR should I get?...etc"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Agreed!

I hate vague, or worse... misleading, thread titles.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    How about titles like:

"I'm so mad..."

"Is this legal...?"

"Self-defense"

"A bear walks into a bar.."

But yeah, I get what you are saying. I guess my pet peeve is lack of use of the function. If one can Google, one can use the search function...give 5 minutes to research before posting a thread that starts out "chambered/unchambered...loaded/unloaded....IWB/OWB....open carry or CC...spare mag or no spare mag.....tastes great/less filling....9mm vs 45 (or vs .40)...SIG vs Glock....1911 vs everything else....What kind of EBR should I get?...etc"
    Let me join in with total agreement on the use of the search function. Using it might, I said might eliminate the monthly polls on the usual topics by new members.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepoll View Post
    Agreed!

I hate vague, or worse... misleading, thread titles.

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I also agree. Which is why, as a mod, I will often change vague thread titles (ESPECIALLY in scenario threads)... nothing is more frustrating than clicking on some boring thread because of some vague title and, worse, clicking on it again because there's another vague thread and you can't distinguish the two.

One day we had four "what would you do" threads running at the same time. That's when I decided enough was enough. If I see a vague thread title you can pretty much expect it to be changed.
    Thank you.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I think a lot of this is, or can be partially, attributed to the use of iPhones and similar devices. Also, these same users tend to use lousy, if any at all, punctuation in their sentence structure. I guess maybe its keyboard function limitations?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Links