Fellow Naturalized US Citizens

This is a discussion on Fellow Naturalized US Citizens within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to purchase another firearm on Thursday (maybe), my first since becoming a citizen. Will I still have the longer wait? The first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fellow Naturalized US Citizens

Fellow Naturalized US Citizens

I am going to purchase another firearm on Thursday (maybe), my first since becoming a citizen.

Will I still have the longer wait?

The first time the gun store got the go ahead about 5 hours after I paid for gun.

What has been your experience buying a firearm after becoming a citizen?

Thanks!!

This is going to be cross posted on other boards so if you see it again, yep it's the same guy asking.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

2. Remove Ads

My father doesn't have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    My father doesn't have to wait.
    Good stuff! Thanks!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

I have no idea about your questions, but congratulations!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Couldn't this also be affected by what state he lives in?

VIP Member
    I'm a bit puzzled by the question. If you are a US citizen, you check whatever box asks that question and that should be that. We don't have two classes of citizenship. You are or are not.

Learn to refer to yourself as a citizen, not a naturalized citizen. When you put that modifier in your thought you can't help but
    draw a now inappropriate distinction.

Meanwhile, get a US Passport as quickly as you can. Maybe also get the passport card. Put your Naturalization Certificate in a Safe Deposit Vault. Make a note of the certificate number and date and the issuing court and date of naturalization, and keep that information safe and separate. You'll never need it, but it is good to be able to put your fingers on it.
    As it is illegal to photograph or scan your Naturalization Certificate (just like it is illegal to do same for money) just be sure to keep the essential information needed for a replacement--- not that this will ever be an issue if you have a US Passport.

(Social Security sometimes does weird stuff; you might need your birth certificate and naturalization certificate when dealing with them-- so preserve both.)
    Charles07 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ This.

Yes, I was naturalized...a long time ago.

Congrats!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    I am going to purchase another firearm on Thursday (maybe), my first since becoming a citizen.

Will I still have the longer wait?

The first time the gun store got the go ahead about 5 hours after I paid for gun.

What has been your experience buying a firearm after becoming a citizen?

Thanks!!

This is going to be cross posted on other boards so if you see it again, yep it's the same guy asking.
    Congrats on your naturalization.

We have two naturalized Cubanoamericanos that buy a lot of guns from us and they usually don't take more than a few minutes to run.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Congrats on your naturalization.

We have two naturalized Cubanoamericanos that buy a lot of guns from us and they usually don't take more than a few minutes to run.
    ["Cubanoamericanos" that buy a lot of guns means you have two US Citizens who buy a lot of guns.]

Let's stop drawing inappropriate distinctions. Unless someone wants to be Prez, you are a US Citizen, same as anyone else.
    You can hold any job, even get security clearances. There is only one thing you can't do that a native born citizen can.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Just like the forum, once you qualify, your in! Welcome!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congratulations!

Oh, and Don't Answer #12!

Thanks guys!

Hopy, the reason I added the distinction is because I wanted to hear from individuals who once had to show their "green card" to legally purchase firearms.
    I only added the modifier here because I wanted to hear from a specific set of individuals who shared a similar experience.
    Thanks for the advice re: the passport, way ahead of you! I love to travel too much not to get that

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, in my opinion the distinctions are not inappropriate. I am a Bermudian just as much as I am an American legally (I went through a lawyer to ensure dual) and I am 100% Bermudian in how I think. I was socialized, nurtured and brought up in a Bermudian family on the island of Bermuda. So I look at life differently, speak differently and even have different social norms. It is true that there are a lot of similarities between my two countries but there are also a lot of stark differences. I am an American citizen, but I am also a Bermudian.

I was going to type more, but this thread is about me buying a gun later on today. I will be more than willing to continue this thought elsewhere though. I also understand that it is hard to convey tone over a forum, so just know that all the above was said with the most respect and I really do appreciate the sentiment and advice.

Anyway, Iíll be leaving for Gulf States soon (if you are LE or military living close enough to Montgomery it is worth the driveÖI think they sell to civilians too) to get my gear for the Academy and my BUG. Iíll let you all know how it goes and post the obligatory pics
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    hk45c, let us know how your "new" experience goes. I've never not purchased firearms as a citizen, so I honestly don't know.

However, from what I understand, the NICS "Delay" is not related specifically to this one criteria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links