TSA finds average of 4 guns each day at airports

This is a discussion on TSA finds average of 4 guns each day at airports within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; TSA finds average of 4 guns each day at airports, with number continuing to rise since 2007 - NY Daily News...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: TSA finds average of 4 guns each day at airports

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    2,949
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array msgt/ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,075
    I am wondering how many they do not find along with any other contraband they might miss.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,735
    Is that a High Point in the nuddie scan, because either that gun is massive or that is one tiny person.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  5. #4
    Member Array CaptSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington /San Juan's
    Posts
    350
    Pulling handguns out of fat folds, and colostomy bags,........between confiscated cream coverd cupcakes, and donuts...

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,823
    Let me prefix this by saying that I am suspicious of the the number of claims of "I forgot", as I doubt one generally forgets that they are armed. However, I also have a problem with the approach that it be an arrestable offense for someone who is legally authorized to have a gun to "accidentally" have it in their bag. I say accidentally here to give them the benefit of the doubt, because accidents do happen. They should be given the option to properly check it or take it back out to their vehicle the same as any other contraband and deadly weapon like nail clippers. If the TSA guys are that twitchy, they really need to take a pill. Deal with it appropriately, but don't freak out.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array CanuckQue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maritimes Canada
    Posts
    1,106
    It's just the same dude, over and over. :D
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

    Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..


  8. #7
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Let me prefix this by saying that I am suspicious of the the number of claims of "I forgot", as I doubt one generally forgets that they are armed. However, I also have a problem with the approach that it be an arrestable offense for someone who is legally authorized to have a gun to "accidentally" have it in their bag. I say accidentally here to give them the benefit of the doubt, because accidents do happen. They should be given the option to properly check it or take it back out to their vehicle the same as any other contraband and deadly weapon like nail clippers. If the TSA guys are that twitchy, they really need to take a pill. Deal with it appropriately, but don't freak out.
    I agre with the first part: I also am dubious of how many people claim "I forgot". But I guess I am a bit more harsh on how to treat them. Again, we as pro 2A as a group always tell folks how responsible we are. You are not a responsible gun owner if YOU DO NOT KNOW where your firearm is. PERIOD. And at an airport?? Come on, they are either sneaking it on and getting caught (stupid) or just plain stupid. Don't let them slide by saying go put it in your car. This isn't like packing a larger size thing of shampoo you didn't know about. It is a GUN. Take the gun away from them. Then let their state decide what to do if they have a permit. I for one am sick and tired of defending MORONS.
    DocPMD likes this.

  9. #8
    Member Array NCGunDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    65
    That might be relevant if the intention was to enforce firearms laws, which are dubious in and of themselves. To date, the TSA hasn't stopped one terrorist attack. Sky marshalls would have been a better and less expensive approach.

    Basically, they're boasting about violating everyone's civil rights. That's what it was ever really about, violating the 4th amendment.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    6,949
    I'd say good! I'm not a big gun control advocate at all, but in most cases I'd say that folks that are so careless/stupid as to leave a weapon in their luggage and try to board a aircraft with it is just stupid. IMO, they are lacking the brains God gave a billy-goat and they darn sure don't deserve to carry a deadly weapon until they learn how to be responsible enough to safely transport it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
    That might be relevant if the intention was to enforce firearms laws, which are dubious in and of themselves. To date, the TSA hasn't stopped one terrorist attack. Sky marshalls would have been a better and less expensive approach.

    Basically, they're boasting about violating everyone's civil rights. That's what it was ever really about, violating the 4th amendment.
    Tin foil on to tight this morning. It doesn't matter about the 4th A until the courts including SCOTUS says it is unconstitutional. Do we like it no. But you are missing the point. As law abiding gun owners we only seem to like to obey laws that we think are just. And we love to disregard laws that we don't like.

  12. #11
    Ex Member Array bullshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    55
    2,000,000 pax fly everyday. All things considered I don't think thats a lot of mistakes.

    So I don't get your point...

  13. #12
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,877
    So they find four guns per day. Is that all? Pretty crummy record if you ask me. I can find more than four guns around here on any given day and I'm not even "specially trained."

    Does this mean that my domicile is more dangerous than a TSA "guarded" airport gate? Perhaps I should become scared.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    I know of DC poster who was arrested for leaving a small gun in his Maxi bag and trying to board a plane. It was an honest mistake. The charges were finally dropped and record expunged.

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I know of DC poster who was arrested for leaving a small gun in his Maxi bag and trying to board a plane. It was an honest mistake. The charges were finally dropped and record expunged.
    With aprox 2 million passengers flying each day and with an estimated overall CC rate of 2% of the population, that is still about 10,000 with CC licenses flying each day. The fact is that mistakes do happen, everybody makes them. When they happen, it should be handled accordingly. This arrest them because we have just caught a terrorist that is going to blow the up the damned plane mentality is downright absurd.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    With aprox 2 million passengers flying each day and with an estimated overall CC rate of 2% of the population, that is still about 10,000 with CC licenses flying each day. The fact is that mistakes do happen, everybody makes them. When they happen, it should be handled accordingly. This arrest them because we have just caught a terrorist that is going to blow the up the damned plane mentality is downright absurd.
    TSA is a complete waste of time. I would rather walk onto the plane, kiss a male flight attendant while being naked holding a pork and bacon sandwich before taking my seat.

    But assuming everybody is out for harm is completely wrong. I have posted before, El-Al profiles the person. Anybody from the Pilot to the Porter can stop anybody from boarding the plane. Multi layers of screening that you never see and never will. My brother was in Isreal 2 years ago and two cousins are there now. No need to remove belt and shoes and the line moves very quickly.

    The DC poster made the mistake.Hired the right people. The case was dismissed for one part they realised that there was no intent to do harm. Listen everybody makes mistakes. Some will admit it, Some will deny it. Take your lumps and man up and move on.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

accidenhtal gun to the airport
,
accidental hand gun tsa
,
accidentally bring gun to airport forum
,
accidentally taking a pistol on an airplane
,
accidently bought weapon through airport
,
accidently carried a firearm to airport
,
accidently carried a gun in airport and i have no record
,
accidently caught with a gun at airport
,
accidently take gun to airport
,
defensive+carry forum
,

tsa hasn't stopped one terrorist

,
what hapoens when gwt caught with a gun in a airport
Click on a term to search for related topics.