Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal? - Page 2

Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal?

This is a discussion on Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat I hit a very small fawn ( 50 lbs. ) and it was still alive. Since there was alot of damage ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I hit a very small fawn ( 50 lbs. ) and it was still alive. Since there was alot of damage to my car I decided to call the sheriff. I live in a town ( not a village or city) but it was in a residential area. The fawn was lying in the bushes and blood was coming out of its nose,both legs broken, very heavy breathing, seemed like lots of pain. The deputy took what seemed like forever to get there. Once on the scene, The deputy called it in got permision and drew his pistol, made a very nice clean head shot from 3 yards.
    The deer got up and started to bolt and quiver as the nerves went thru the system. Then just fell down and was dead. I have seen the nerves do that when hunting. The Deputy was in tears and I had to calm him down. He told me he never shot an animal before.
    If that ever happens again I would slit the throat right away, not shoot it, due to wildlife and gaming rules. But also I am concerned about the lack of training/experiance from the deputy and question if he would be capable of protecting me or my family. What good are a bunch of cops who can only write speeding tickets and accident reports?
    A young animal doing something like that might be traumatic for just about anyone... this guy might be a war vet with a hundred kills under his belt, but still not be able to handle that.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

ďThe great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.Ē
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    [QUOTE=MrBuckwheat;2130548] The deer got up and started to bolt and quiver as the nerves went thru the system. Then just fell down and was dead. /QUOTE]

First lesson my father taught me about hunting deer, Be very careful approaching a downed deer, always approach from the back side, and reach out with your rifle/shotgun and touch it's eyeball to see if it's dead. I don't think I'd slit any wounded animals throat, I hate to see any animal suffer, but I'm not loosing an eye or risking head injure from a head butt or hoof thrashing around wildly. If I can't shoot it, it's gotta die on it's own. Sorry, but that's my line in the sand.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndo View Post
    According to the laws in Oklahoma regarding your permit it would be technically illegal, because there was no threat to you. It would be totally ethical in my opinion and most officers in this part of the country would agree with you, but technically it is not legal.
    Do you have any facts or citations to back up this statement, or are you just stereotyping, and pulling percentages out of thin air?

IANAL, and don't know alll the legal issues involved, but I'm not going to risk my freedom or my CHP to relieve the suffering of an animal. I am also not going to suggest you'd be "OK" because of what I THINK cops may or may not believe.

As someone else suggested - just slit its throat if you're that dedicated. I'm not using my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockZombie View Post
    Unless you're in a densely populated area, I think most LEO's would turn a blind eye to an obvious act of compassion. Now if you're holding a spotlight and a 30-30 when they pull up things might go differently!
    Ahh - someone else elected to speak for "most" LEOs.

My luck, I'd get tagged by some jerk just out the academy who has yet to be weeded out as a cop with issues. Are you willing to risk it?

I hit a very small fawn ( 50 lbs. ) and it was still alive. Since there was alot of damage to my car I decided to call the sheriff. I live in a town ( not a village or city) but it was in a residential area. The fawn was lying in the bushes and blood was coming out of its nose,both legs broken, very heavy breathing, seemed like lots of pain. The deputy took what seemed like forever to get there. Once on the scene, The deputy called it in got permision and drew his pistol, made a very nice clean head shot from 3 yards.
    The deer got up and started to bolt and quiver as the nerves went thru the system. Then just fell down and was dead. I have seen the nerves do that when hunting. The Deputy was in tears and I had to calm him down. He told me he never shot an animal before.
    If that ever happens again I would slit the throat right away, not shoot it, due to wildlife and gaming rules. But also I am concerned about the lack of training/experiance from the deputy and question if he would be capable of protecting me or my family. What good are a bunch of cops who can only write speeding tickets and accident reports?
    Never shot an animal before? I was shooting black birds at 7 years old with my BB gun! I have a 12 and 14 year old sons and there isn't anything alive within a mile of our place now!

Senior Moderator
    Shoot it, dress it,throw it in the truck,butcher it and eat it.

Fixed.

You dont need to call an LEO unless you want an accident report.

edited: dont try to slit the throat of a wounded deer. It's messy and you could get hurt.
    scgunlover1 and CVarner like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Shoot it, throw it in the truck and eat it.

Fixed.

You dont need to call an LEO unless you want an accident report.

edited: dont try to slit the throat of a wounded deer. Its messy and you could get hurt.
    I didn't even need the police report for insurance. Gotta love USAA.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Ahh - someone else elected to speak for "most" LEOs.

My luck, I'd get tagged by some jerk just out the academy who has yet to be weeded out as a cop with issues. Are you willing to risk it?
    Please turn the sarcasm down a few notches. If your having a bad day, there's no need to spill it all over this site for everyone to see.

No one on here is claiming to be an expert on LEO practices. If you don't like someone's opinion, that's fine, your replies leave a lot to be desired.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    [QUOTE=4my son;2130556]
    The deer got up and started to bolt and quiver as the nerves went thru the system. Then just fell down and was dead. /QUOTE]

First lesson my father taught me about hunting deer, Be very careful approaching a downed deer, always approach from the back side, and reach out with your rifle/shotgun and touch it's eyeball to see if it's dead. I don't think I'd slit any wounded animals throat, I hate to see any animal suffer, but I'm not loosing an eye or risking head injure from a head butt or hoof thrashing around wildly. If I can't shoot it, it's gotta die on it's own. Sorry, but that's my line in the sand.

You sir are absolutely right. There is nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal with adrenaline pumping through is system. The hoof of a deer can be like a razor blade.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    In GA, it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 50' of a public road. ...Unless it is in an act of self defense. So, unless that deer was "comin right for ya!", you would have to (as others stated) use a knife to finish him off.

Of course, you could always tell the responding officer that the deer got up, charged you; you then, instinctively, responded by booting the animal in the face, and as it fell back to the spot where it was previously lying, you drew your firearm and put a well placed shot in the beast so that it physically couldn't get up and attempt to harm you, again - because it was attempting to do so. (Yeah, I typed the long sentence for dramatic effect).

Quote Originally Posted by yanks_178 View Post
    Never shot an animal before? I was shooting black birds at 7 years old with my BB gun! I have a 12 and 14 year old sons and there isn't anything alive within a mile of our place now!
    I've only ever shot a living thing one time. I was about 10 years old and shot a pigeon out of a tree in my backyard with a BB gun. It fell to the ground and I was so pleased with myself. That is, until I realized it was still alive and in pain. Then I felt horrible about what I'd done. I pumped up my BB rifle again and shot it directly in the head to put it out of its misery, because that was the only thing I knew to do.

Now.. when I say living thing. Maybe I should rephrase that to "vertebrate" because I have certainly shot a lot of bugs with BB gun, even recently. If I'm in the back yard with my BB gun and I see a wasp or dragonfly or something and I have a clean shot at it, I'll take it. I can hit them about 50% of the time.

I take that back. I did shoot a snake once. It was a water moccasin. Again, with a pump BB rifle. Got a clean head shot and killed it on the first shot. Never regretted that one.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Call local authorities and dnr for permission. Some officers will understand, but the ones who don't can put a real hurting on you. DNR will not let you keep any part of the deer in SC.

We call it bambie bumper fondue and no you cannot shoot it. Deer belong to the state and even thought itís the right thing to do it might get you in trouble (me I would, itís the right thing to do)

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Please turn the sarcasm down a few notches. If your having a bad day, there's no need to spill it all over this site for everyone to see.

No one on here is claiming to be an expert on LEO practices. If you don't like someone's opinion, that's fine, your replies leave a lot to be desired.
    The sarcasm is based upon reality. In many places it is UNDENIABLY better to let the animal suffer so you don't have any legal issues. What makes sense does not matter when it comes to some laws.

Here in Wisconsin we have a 50' rule from the centerline of the road where we cannot discharge a firearm. You can call in to the local dispatcher to ask for permission to shoot the animal, which I would do, and can dispatch it legally if you get permission from the dispatcher. However, in some places you are only doing what is legally required (if there is noticeable damage caused by the impact) by reporting the deer/vehicle collision and will end up waiting for an officer to attempt to dispatch the animal. Hopefully you get a responding officer that can shoot better than the two my Father dealt with. They couldn't hit the broadside of a barn much less a deer at 10 feet.

The answer here is the same as it is for any CC legal question. Know the laws of the state. Don't make any assumptions, and play it safe.

I apologize. My sarcasm was meant to point out that taking legal advice from someone who posts what he thinks "most" LEOs would/would not do is foolish, and no one has come back to this thread to show how they know what LEOs are thinking. Not even LEOs

When dealing with legal issues, it's far better to KNOW the law than it is to assume some LEO is going to look the other way if you violate it.

NO ONE knows what the responding officer will or won't do.

Hopefully, that's straightforward and sarcasm free for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links