Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal? - Page 4

Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal?

This is a discussion on Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Shoot it, dress it,throw it in the truck,butcher it and eat it. Fixed. You dont need to call an LEO unless ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Can I legally shoot a suffering/dying animal?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Shoot it, dress it,throw it in the truck,butcher it and eat it.

Fixed.

You dont need to call an LEO unless you want an accident report.

edited: dont try to slit the throat of a wounded deer. It's messy and you could get hurt.
    Getting caught with that deer in your truck by DNR in SC could cause you to lose your gun, your truck and everything in it.

Before I shoot a Deer out of season etc.I'm gonna call 911 report it and ask for permission to put it down,only after receiving permission will I dispatch the deer.All 911 calls are recorded so if there is any problem the recording will be my witness.
    I'll be traveling to San Antonio next month,and there is a section of road that is scary as hell with deer standing in the ditches,before I moved here from Kansas,up in Mitchell County they had a saying "If you haven't hit a deer yet,you will" a lot of people living in the country have had multiple car/deer,not to mention Deputy's and Troopers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've had occasion to put down a deer found alive but horribly broken down on the side of the highway along with another found with broken legs, wound up in a pile of old barbed wire fencing. I was in a position to do the right thing without a nosy, politically correct, fearful public observing. I'm sorry our society has come to the point where such a question even has to loom so large.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    I'm sorry our society has come to the point where such a question even has to loom so large.
    Aint that the truth...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Am I cognizant of the legalities of firing a weapon in or around a place where I could create legal problems? Yes!
    Have I ever dispatched a suffering animal? Yes!

Not much more to comment on...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Would you shoot a deer that was slowly being eaten alive by a coyote or wolf?

I don't like to see anything suffer, but I don't think I'd risk shooting it and would call it in - if they told me it was OK to do so, done.

I'd shoot the coyote or wolf first in this hypothetical situation and then administer a mercy shot to the deer.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

This really is not a question of ethics. This comes down to legality and maintaining your right to freedom and gun ownership. As I said earlier, it comes down to knowing local laws.

IMO you should call it in, and go from there. Do not risk your freedom over a dying animal. No matter how hard it will be.

To be honest, it would be better to film the animal suffering in agony as you wait for the officer to arrive to dispatch it and let the world view it. Cold, harsh, but that's the situation people who have passed laws making this question even come up to be as it is. Shove it in their faces and get the law(s) changed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links