Yugo SKS

Yugo SKS

This is a discussion on Yugo SKS within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm close to pulling the trigger and placing an order for one of these as a "truck gun". I'd appreciate any opinions on them good ...

Thread: Yugo SKS

Yugo SKS

I'm close to pulling the trigger and placing an order for one of these as a "truck gun". I'd appreciate any opinions on them good or bad.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Assistant Administrator
    There is a thread running on about this subject - a search may bring it up.

They are still available for not much cash - but be prepared for one heck of a clean up - cosmoline everywhere, and maybe too a black barrel.

With care and patience tho you should finish up with one dead reliable semi well suitable as a truck gun. Tho a Yugo is probably going to be cheapest, say from SOG or J&G etc - others too are worth a look. I have a Yugo but prefer my Norinco - it will tho cost more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ahhhh. For a truck gun the Yugo's are fine. Like all SKS's they are reliable and are the cheapest of the SKS line.

I also own the Romanian, the Russian, the China* (can't spell it) and the Albanian. My best out of the bunch is the Russian, then the Albanian, the Romanian, the Norinco and then the Yugo. But the prices also go up with the countries they are from.

If you get one keep the 10rd box. You really don't want the duck bill mags cause they 1) won't hold the bolt open on the last shot and 2) are a pain to get back in. There is a way to have the 20/20/40 round mags and to keep the bolt open on the last shot but you can't ever take out the duck bill once it is in so you're using stripper clips anyway.

If anyone is interested in how to do this, just reply and I'll tell you how to do it. Works best with the 20rd mag though.

I have two. They're neat guns, fairly accurate at "truck gun" distances and reliable. I'm not sure if I've had a jam in mine or not...I don't think so. Plus, the Yugo SKS has the neat looking grenade launcher fitting on the end of the barrel which I think looks cool.

Order from SOG or Century and get the best condition they have, and a handpick if available. You'll spend a day or two getting the cosmo out of it but there won't be a speck of rust.

Protip: bake the stock in your oven at 170 degrees, wiping it off every 5 minutes to get the cosmo out. After 3-4 wipings it will all be gone. Put tinfoil under it to catch the drippings.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I have two. They're neat guns, fairly accurate at "truck gun" distances and reliable. I'm not sure if I've had a jam in mine or not...I don't think so. Plus, the Yugo SKS has the neat looking grenade launcher fitting on the end of the barrel which I think looks cool.

Order from SOG or Century and get the best condition they have, and a handpick if available. You'll spend a day or two getting the cosmo out of it but there won't be a speck of rust.

Protip: bake the stock in your oven at 170 degrees, wiping it off every 5 minutes to get the cosmo out. After 3-4 wipings it will all be gone. Put tinfoil under it to catch the drippings.
    Not knocking your oven method, but my wife would kill me if I put anything like that in the oven. I have another method for getting the the cosmoline and any other oil based finish off of a stock.

First remove the stock. Take it outside where you can get some good ventilation then spray it down liberally with EasyOff® or some other brand of oven cleaner. The cosmoline should start bubbling off in about 30 minutes. Hose it off let it air dry, and apply another coat of oven cleaner if it needs it and repeat the rinse. It should suck the cosmoline right out of the wood.

For one of my SKSs I used Thompson's WaterSeal® to refinish the stock, the other stock was damaged so I just replaced it with an ATI folding stock. They are inexpensive and durable.

Here's a link to simonov.net. Great place for info on the SKS
    Last edited by p8riot; August 22nd, 2006 at 05:14 PM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Sponsored Links