Attack in St. Cloud

Attack in St. Cloud

This is a discussion on Attack in St. Cloud within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; St. Cloud police are investigating a robbery and assault that happened Saturday afternoon at the Wendy’s restaurant on U.S. Highway 10 North in east St. ...

Thread: Attack in St. Cloud

Attack in St. Cloud

St. Cloud police are investigating a robbery and assault that happened Saturday afternoon at the Wendy’s restaurant on U.S. Highway 10 North in east St. Cloud.

Officers were called to 1540 East St. Germain to investigate a report that three to four males confronted the driver and passengers in a car that were ordering food in the drive-thru lane about 4:30 p.m., according to a police report.

A 25-year-old man from St. Cloud was pulled from the vehicle and was struck numerous times on the head and face by the suspects. His wallet and sunglasses were stolen. A second 25-year-old man from St. Cloud was also hit in the head and face, and his watch was stolen.

The first man was treated for nonlife-threatening injuries at St. Cloud Hospital. The second victim did not require treatment, according to the report.

No description of the suspects was available.

This report got me thinking a little. If you are in a drive-thru you can be stuck without a means of retreat. Most of the time we are engrossed in ordering, getting our money out of our pocket, moving ahead to get our order. Not really paying attention to what is going on around us. I think I'll try to keep my eyes open a little wider in places like this from now on. Just an observation.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    This report got me thinking a little. If you are in a drive-thru you can be stuck without a means of retreat. Most of the time we are engrossed in ordering, getting our money out of our pocket, moving ahead to get our order. Not really paying attention to what is going on around us.
    Against a wall, car's running and in-gear with the foot on the brake, doors are locked, windows are up. (Locked/up, given that my attention is elsewhere.) Makes for a reasonably secure 3500-lb missile, if need be. Of course, if the windows are down or doors unlocked, all bets are off.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't use the drive thru . merlin45kout

No drive thru here either but not for the reason of being mugged/robbed.

I can see this being a problem if a car is in front and the back of you. But I suspect that they were the only one's in line at the time. If that is what happend and they didn't just drive over these thug's then they were in serious condition white. Same on them if they were, lesson learned. I hope they will prepare for there next encounter with drive thru BG's.

People just don't get crime, it happens everywhere, even in Minnesota.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Keep the door locked and windows up. The handgun is handy and works with one hand. Drive off if you can and shoot if you have to.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Always have a knife. Somebody reaching into my vehicle will have a hard time grabbing anything with a CQC7 hammerfisted into the inside of their elbow.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Although it is very possible that it could happen, I am thinking that this was not just a random robbery. I get the feeling there is A LOT more to this story than what was reported.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    Although it is very possible that it could happen, I am thinking that this was not just a random robbery. I get the feeling there is A LOT more to this story than what was reported.
    The "no description of the robbers available" thing is fishy, but maybe the info wasn't available to the reporter.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I would agree. This doesn't sound like the whole story. Sounds like a group of guys getting back at someone they knew. I would guess the victim did something fairly illegal that angered the 4 guys.

But I could be wrong.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

A friend of mine was at a drive through once (anti-gun sheep) and got a random mace/pepper spray attack from a group of individuals. I guess the best thing is to just be aware of one surroundings.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

fm2
    Do not get task fixated in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I can see this being a problem if a car is in front and the back of you.
    Ti
    Those cars would have had some trashed bumpers if it happened to me. I would gladly pay property damage if it meant preventing harm to me or my family.

OD*
    Give yourself room to maneuver, don't park on the bumper of the car ahead of you.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Give yourself room to maneuver, don't park on the bumper of the car ahead of you.
    I think this the right idea, don't follow too closely since the guy behind you will be on your bumper

Links