The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it? - Page 2

The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it?

This is a discussion on The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an older InterArms and haven't shot it a whole lot. Had a few feed ramp issues with some hollow points so I mostly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it?

I have an older InterArms and haven't shot it a whole lot. Had a few feed ramp issues with some hollow points so I mostly carry ball. I love the ergonomics of the gun and the way it fits my hand. And yes, when I'm wearing my tux and have it in the jacka$$ rig, it's hard not to start humming the theme...

I wouldn't sell mine and I carry it all the time. My BUG is a LCP.

Jim

Administrator
    I have an older Interarms. It functions just fine. Use only Walther magazines. Some PPK/S are finicky with regard to ammo that it will feed 100% so find an ammo brand that works and stick with that.
    The factory recoil spring is heavier than it needs to be for a firearm as stout as the PPK/S in .380.

Quote Originally Posted by Toml View Post
    The Bond PPK was issued in 7.65mm (.32ACP), not .380.
    I guess I'd get a PPK in .32 if that's the case, I just want the classic style is all.
    BritishAgent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I don't get it. If you only want it for the connection with the James Bond movies, and caliber or actually shooting it is not an issue, why are you even asking? Just buy it.
    Well I'm just checking in to see if it's even worth while to pick up, which everyone seems to say it's very accurate, fun, and reliable.

VIP Member
    Reliable - that is not a word I would use to describe the S&W PPK series of pistols. I should know, I owned 4 of them and never once had one that was reliable. Range gun, fun to shoot, sure. Get it for the bond thrill. A carry piece, no way.

Take the time and find an older Interarms make. I found mine.....very clean and pretty at a gun show for a reasonable $400 a few years back. Never a problem with reliability as I've stated before.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

My buddy bought a newer American-manufactured PPK/S last summer. He had tremendous difficulty getting it to feed rounds properly. I convinced him to get a Wolff calibration spring kit for the PPK/S. We found that the softest (lightest weight) spring in the it let his PPK/S function 100% reliably with all the different .380 ammunition we were able to buy locally. The stock spring and the heavier springs in the Wolff kit did not permit reliable feeding with American ammunition.

We reason that European .380 ammunition is much hotter (higher pressure) than American SAAMI-compliant .380 ammunition, and that the PPK/S is designed and manufactured for the hotter Euroean ammunition. That is just speculation on our part, not backed up by actual pressure measurements or chronograph measurements.

I own German, French, and American made Interarms Walther PP, PPK, and PPK/S in 22, .32 and .380, but no S&W models. Mine all shoot great with few issues. I love Walthers, but can't bring myself to get a S&W. I belong to a Walther forum and some folks have done well with the Smiths, some haven't. YMMV.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

And FWIW......the .32 version is much more fun and comfortable to shoot.....IMHO!
    BritishAgent likes this.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

I've got a Smith & Wesson manufactured PPK/S. It functions just fine. Mine is post recall and I've had no problems with it. However, I also have a SIG-P232 Stainless. I like the Sig better. The fit and finish are nicer. The action is a lot smoother. The trigger pull is lighter in both single and double action. It comes equipped with Sig night sights and custom rubber grips and it has a lifetime warranty as opposed to the one year warranty on the S & W made Walther. The Walther is fractions of an inch smaller than the Sig. I doubt that you'll be able to tell the difference in size and weight. If you have a chance, give them both a try before you make a decision.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

128 rounds through it at the range today: 6 light strikes and 4 failures to fully chamber.

However, great grouping (I love this pistol when it works)

It'll be 2 weeks Tuesday since I was promised a return lable from S&W for a 2nd trip back to Houlton.

What's a light strike?

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    What's a light strike?
    Sounds like a misfire where the firing pin doesn't strike hard enough to discharge the round. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Sounds like a misfire where the firing pin doesn't strike hard enough to discharge the round. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Correct. There is a shallow dimply on the back of the primer where the firing pin struck too lightly (thus "light strike") to adequately deform the primer and cause ignition.

I purchased my PPK/S two weeks ago, and have fed 600 rounds for Winchester white box ammo with no problems whatsoever. I read the Walter forum threads for several months before purchase, and I heeded the advice to clean it before first use and continue to feed it oil during break-in. I have never held a previous version of the ppk, so have nothing with which to compare the S&W variety. I would not hesitate, however, to recommend this pistol to anyone considering this venerable sidearm.

I have wanted this gun since a time even before Bond. As a young child, about 8-years, I saw this pistol in the hands of the German bad-guy in a mid-afternoon rerun of The Rat Patrol. I have admired this gun since seeing it around 1968, and finally broke down and bought it. I AM GLAD I DID! I am considering swapping out my current EDC, a Glock 19, for this ppk. The difference in the number of rounds in the magazine has me hung-up. 15-rounds of 9mm vs. 7-rounds of a rather anemic .380acp. On the flip side, this indecision in handgun pertains to the question of CONCEALED carry... . And then, I have already tricked-out my Glock with tritium and CT Laser sights. But I am considering it, nonetheless!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links