The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it? - Page 3

The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it?

This is a discussion on The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's one hell of a cool looking gun that's for sure, I wish it wasn't in .380 though. 9mm would be amazing....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it?

It's one hell of a cool looking gun that's for sure, I wish it wasn't in .380 though. 9mm would be amazing.

Walther PPK/s .380

This is my 1st reply to your discussions. Bought a PPK/s several yrs ago but didn't spend much time at the range until today. Did carry it in the car though. Was part of a S & W recall several yrs ago, got gun back in 4 wks. Today put 75 rounds through it. Only problem was it pinched my trigger finger between the bottom of the trigger and the top inside of the trigger guard. I'm right handed so the pinch is on the bottom inside of my trigger finger.
    As for stopping power I agree that the .380 2X center of mass with HP will do the job. I have a 1911 but its too big to carry around. Want to start my wife on the .380 but want to resolve the trigger pinch 1st. Anyone else have the problem or any ideas? Thanks in advance and keep up the well thought-out discussions.

djdaniels78

I just don't like .380's, the ammo is too expensive for the power. I'd rather use a 9mm or .38spl personally.

I have a PPK/S from S&W, and it works without any problems to date. I have had it 8-months, and put 1000 rounds in the tube. Never had a FTF nor FTE. So far, it is as relaible as my G19. I admit to feeling more confident with my Glock...and I am not sure why that is. Increased magazine capacity? Possibly because my Glock has tru-glo tritium sights and a CT laser. I plan on getting a laser for the PPK/S, but the lack of night sights is something that does bother me, I guess. Other than that, I love my Walther. Never shot one from another manufacturer, so I have nothing to compare to, but it has been super reliable!

Question, does the ppk/s have a tilting barrel or fixed?
    “The only defense against
    violent evil people are
    good people who are
    more skilled at violence.”

fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    fixed
    Thanks, then the PPK/s should be just as accurate as the Bersa.
    “The only defense against
    violent evil people are
    good people who are
    more skilled at violence.”

I own four ppks one german ppk/s, one interarms ppk stainless in 32 and two S&W model ppk in blue and one stainless in 380. I love the S&W made guns because they work. Feed ramp redesigned for hp's and longer tang to eliminate slide bite. My S&W walther's are superb.

I have a newer S&W PPKS. It's a great shooter and has been very reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just purchased a PPK/S and have been reading a lot of reviews...I got a steal of a deal just over $400. So what I have gathered is that its a great gun, maybe not an EDC unless with a tux, and newer s&w have resolved some issues from past...is this correct?

I think i have to take into consideration some of the negative reviews about the s&w customer service, it all has to do with expectations. Am I right? Either way, excited to get the gun and try it out and make it a cool conversation piece with buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    I don't know many people in their late 20's/early 30's like myself that hasn't ever dreamed about being James Bond, and the weapon that always comes to mind is the Walther PPK. I've always wanted one, now I have firearms that I consider WAY better for CCW purposes than I believe the PPK would be from it's some what low round capacity and believe to be underpowered .380 nature. I'm just looking at this for a gotta have aspect.

What are some of your guys opinions on the newer PPK/S is it still a quality firearm that it was decades ago? I know it's now S&W has the quality gone down? Or perhaps up? Is it a just plain fun to own and shoot gun? That's all I want it for really nothing serious just to add to my collection.

I can't really find much info about any differences other than the beaver tail being a bit improved over the original that would tear up hands from the slide. Is that about all? How is it for reliability?

Rock on fellow CCers
    OK, I owned two PPK's Brand new stainless, both of them. Dad gave me one for Christmas 2013. He passed away beginning of April. I found he had purchased two of them the same day. I inherited the other, still unfired. I sold one to a fella at work for his wife to carry. Its clean and smooth. Few edges to catch in handbags or on clothing. For that, its a nice weapon. IF it fits you. IF you are comfortable with its size. IF you are able to operate it.

Now, for the reality as I have experienced it. I hate it. I already fired one of the two so I own it as selling a used gun is not as easy and you take a hit on price. So I kept it. The slide is very stiff. The trigger is long and stiff. My 13y GD shoots IDPA with me. She can manhandle my Sig P226 EE, Smith M&P 9 but she can't operate my PPK. She can't pull the slide back easily and confidently and can't even remotely pinch pull it (she has to overhand it). She has to use two fingers on the trigger as she can't pull it with a single finger. And yes, BOTH PPKs were the same in feel. Its too small for me and I get slide bite on my thumb web when I shoot it if I don't watch my grip closely (I tend to choke up on it as I do on my Sig). I spoke to the Walther rep at the NRA convention down in Indy recently and asked if there was a parts kit I could put on it to ease the trigger pull and slide draw weights. He said virtually anything you did would unbalance the internals and lead to either failure or misfires. Its a very old design (1930's) he said. It is what it is.

Vanna (GD13) was with me at the NRA show and pawed so many pistols there her thumb got a blister on it from hitting the slide releases so much. We were looking for a BUG class pistol (sub-compact). And yea, we looked at the new Walthers, the new Remington as well as Colts, Smiths, Rugers and Sigs. Of the dozens she pawed and prodded, the Sig P238 equinox was the one she compared every other pistol to. It, and it alone became the benchmark by which she judged all the others. In the end, thats her choice. And to be honest, though I don't generally like subcompacts nor 380 in general, I would shoot the P238. It feels good, it operates well. The controls are easy to access. Best of all she can operate the slide and easily pull the trigger. It is bigger than the PPK, that I will give you. But if she can't operate the PPK, what good is it to her?

As much as the PPK has as a mystique weapon, I will very rarely ever dig mine out of the safe again. We have a James Bond themed IDPA match coming this month. Yea, I will show up in a tux with the PPK. For show. I won't be shooting it.

So, my recommendation is that if you are considering the PPK, know that it can be rather stiff. Go rent one and shoot it. Make sure you hare happy with it because there isn't much you are going to do to it as far as aftermarket parts kits go.

Here is Hickok45 on the 238
    Liberal (Noun) - Someone so open minded that his brain has fallen out.
    The 2nd Amendment: Guarantor of all other Amendments
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links