The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it?

This is a discussion on The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know many people in their late 20's/early 30's like myself that hasn't ever dreamed about being James Bond, and the weapon that always ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Walther/Smith PPK/S .380, how about it?

I don't know many people in their late 20's/early 30's like myself that hasn't ever dreamed about being James Bond, and the weapon that always comes to mind is the Walther PPK. I've always wanted one, now I have firearms that I consider WAY better for CCW purposes than I believe the PPK would be from it's some what low round capacity and believe to be underpowered .380 nature. I'm just looking at this for a gotta have aspect.

What are some of your guys opinions on the newer PPK/S is it still a quality firearm that it was decades ago? I know it's now S&W has the quality gone down? Or perhaps up? Is it a just plain fun to own and shoot gun? That's all I want it for really nothing serious just to add to my collection.

I can't really find much info about any differences other than the beaver tail being a bit improved over the original that would tear up hands from the slide. Is that about all? How is it for reliability?

Rock on fellow CCers

I carry the Sig 232 as a pocket gun - a little large -but bearable. The dependability, and DA/SA, over-rule the small caliber theory.

Hmm The Sig P232 looks like a PPK but perhaps better?

But I guess kinda defeats the purpose for me to get a clone P232 over the PPK when I only want it for silly reasons.

I don't know what this talk is, about a .380 being underpowered. I defy anyone to find me a bad-guy that wasn't stopped by a center mass double tap with .380 hollow points. Low round capacity? It carries as much as a 1911. A spare magazine will practically fit in your wallet. How many shots do you need for personal defense? I'm not Bruce Willis taking down 47 bad guys. I'm protecting my family, myself and my home. I don't need a big scary half-inch black hole in the end of my pistol for someone to think about. It's not for looking at, its for shooting and that's what's going to happen if I ever take take it out and I have 100% confidence it will do the job.

I just happen to have a PPK/S but its Interarms. S&W improved it to it's detriment some would say, but after fixing initial problems I bet it is still a scary-accurate pistol (for a 3.3" barrel) thanks to the fixed barrel design. It's a breeze to field strip and clean. I have shot hundreds of rounds through mine and never been bit by the slide. Mine came with a factory test target with grouping so tight most people couldn't do it with rifle. There may be equals, but I doubt any equivalent .380 auto is more accurate.

I have a 92 and just ordered a big old 45 1911. Those are fun guns and way too hard to CC down here where its hot. It's stainless too so it doesn't care if I sweat or if its humid. The shape of the PPK is half the genius of it. It's just smooth, thin and fitting for concealment anywhere.

VIP Member
    I purchased one 2 months ago. Got the PPK/S in stainless. I changed the grips to Pachmyr with rear strap. The small pistol shots very accurate and runs smooth. I like it. If I were to carry it I would use the Hornday critical defense ammo in it. the PPK/S has a nice feel to it. It is all metal a bit heavy but thats why it shoots nice. Note if you change the grips there is something different with the S&W models. So you need to make sure the new grips will work. If you carry in your pocket you may not want to change the grips the soft rubber is harder to access in a pocket then the hard plastic grips that it came with. I got an ankle holster and the Galco executive shoulder rig for it. But I don't carry it right now.

VIP Member
    I have a S&W PPK-S. Heavy, thin, accurate. Mine runs reliably, though I rarely ccw it anymore. There's a wide range of good ccw out there now to choose from. While I still have that PPK I typically carry my Walther PPS or G27.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The Bond PPK was issued in 7.65mm (.32ACP), not .380.
    Cory1022 likes this.

Don't turn this into a caliber debate please, it was just a repeat of what I've heard everyone say that .380 is somewhat underpowered, honestly like I said I don't care it won't be used as a CCW anyway, so caliber has nothing to do with this thread.

I've owned and carried an Interarms PPK for several years. I like the way it feels in my hand and how it rides on my hip. I have never had a ftf but read some stuff a few years back that the S&W versions were having a lot of feeding issues and had to be returned for some feeding ramp work.

Classic style. Love it.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I don't think so. I think in the movie when he was given the Walther, it was because he had been carrying a Beretta .32 and it had almost cost him his life, according to the SIS director. Wouldn't make sense to stay the same caliber. The actor says the Walther has an impact like a brick through a window, or something like that. Can anyone find the actual movie scene, or the dialogue in the book (if it's there)?

I had a Walther PPK/S and loved it. It was accurate, never once had a malfunction, easily concealable, never hurt my hands. When I think about caliber, sometimes I ask myself, would I be able to continue an attack on someone after getting hit twice by the new >1000fps JHP .380 rounds? I don't think so. The CorBon, Winchester Ranger, and Hornday rounds all have ballistics that may not kill an NFL linebacker on the spot, but if you can't stop someone with a double-tap to the center mass, and a do a "failure drill", i.e., a head shot, that's that. There aren't degrees of dead based on the caliber of the gun. BUT, FYI, S&W recalled all Walther PPK PPK/S some time ago, allegedly because of a safety defect. I've seen blogs where S&W takes forever, if ever, to repair the defect. Not sure what the defect was, maybe something to do with it possibly firing if dropped, but I know my SIG P232 doesn't have any defects. I trust it with my life. As a concealed carry gun with a likelihood of incapacitating someone of average height and build, not high on crack, not trained to function after being shot, in competent hands the PPK/S .380 should do the job.

I don't think so. I think in the movie when he was given the Walther, it was because he had been carrying a Beretta .32 and it had almost cost him his life, according to the SIS director. Wouldn't make sense to stay the same caliber. The actor says the Walther has an impact like a brick through a window, or something like that. Can anyone find the actual movie scene, or the dialogue in the book (if it's there)?
    Not to be a total nerd or anything...

But in Dr. No, in the scene you're referring to, Q (Major Boothroyd, at the time) hands Bond a Walther PP (not a PPK) chambered in .380, but says "Walther PPK. 7.65 mil with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window." The pistol he takes from Bond is a Beretta M1934, chambered in .32, though its caliber is not mentioned in the dialog.

This is a miscommunication of sorts between the movie armorer and the original Dr. No novel where Bond is indeed handed a PPK chambered in 7.65 (.32) to replace his Beretta 418 which in the book is chambered in .25 ACP.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I don't get it. If you only want it for the connection with the James Bond movies, and caliber or actually shooting it is not an issue, why are you even asking? Just buy it.
    BritishAgent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    Not to be a total nerd or anything....
    It's cool to be a nerd if you're correct....and if it's about guns.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I bought one in November sent it back within 2 weeks got it back in December and am now fighting S&&W to take it back and fix it now. (The same problems)

It feels and looks great and "when it works" it is a thing of beauty.
    There's been a lot of bad talk about S&W service and their modifications to the Walther design over on the Walther forums.
    I am not the only one having problems with the gun or Houlton's customer service.

If you buy one, don't do it for carry reasons, it may or may not be reliable it seems that it's a roll of the dice wether you get a gem or a lemon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links