Went to Gun Show for Mags-Came Back With M1903A3

This is a discussion on Went to Gun Show for Mags-Came Back With M1903A3 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice post, bmcgilvray, definitely a good read for me. Serial is 3953xxx, I believe the guy said it is a 4-groove barrel. I'm not sure ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Went to Gun Show for Mags-Came Back With M1903A3

Nice post, bmcgilvray, definitely a good read for me. Serial is 3953xxx, I believe the guy said it is a 4-groove barrel. I'm not sure of the barrel date though, where do I find it? I don't expect trouble from the weapon at all, and I can't wait to fire it. The bolt is infinitely smoother than the other WWII bolt-gun I have (Mosin-Nagant M91/30), and I bought a few bags of M2 ball at the same gun show for it that I'm looking forward to blowing away. The stock does have a bit of a scent to it I'm still trying to get rid of, and there is a crack on the top forward hand guard, which is no big deal but between that and some of the marks on the stock it definitely ensured I have one of the cheap ones. The guy said it was sporterized at one point, and when he got his hands on it he put old-style furniture back on, and re-parkerized the barrel. It looks like he did a good job on it, and the rifling looks solid too. I also noticed the trigger on it is much better than the 91/30, still heavy of course but way better. I think I'm really going to enjoy this rifle...

EDIT: Since msgt/ret was kind enough to tell me where to look: 2/43 appears to be the date on mine. Thanks!
    Last edited by peckman28; January 16th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IIRC the date is just behind the front sight on the top of the barrel, I have one with a 2/28 date. The barrel looks like it was cleaned with a corn cob but if I do my part it will shoot 1 inch groups all day.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links