Scope for 700?

This is a discussion on Scope for 700? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a 700 in .300 win mag. Can anyone recommend a decent scope. Looking for a budget of 300 or less. Will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for 700?

Scope for 700?

I picked up a 700 in .300 win mag. Can anyone recommend a decent scope. Looking for a budget of 300 or less. Will be for shooting paper up to 200 yards. Nothing fancy needed.

2. Remove Ads

I really like my Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 scope that I have on my .308.

They are made by Leupold now, at Leupold's factory, and mine has held up fine to the .308 recoil, and is good enough for me to shoot MOA groups with it.

Including rings and mount should still keep you under $300, but if you are looking for tacti-cool features, this scope is slighlty lacking. But it does have a Bullet Drop Reticle, and one cartridge group for that includes .300 Win Mag.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Leupold. All I have. All I would have.

Both of those look to be real nice scopes. The Redfield and Leupold are offered in a similar price. May be jumping on one of those soon. Just got to read up a bit.

I hope this weather changes soon. Want to try my new gun!

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Leupold. All I have. All I would have.
    In April of 2008 Leupold & Stevens, Inc. purchased the brand name Redfield and all the intellectual property associated with Redfield Optics. Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a market leading American-owned and operated optics company.
    Redfield is a brand of Leupold & Stevens, Inc., the most prominent American owned and operated optics company. Visit leupold.com to learn more about quality Leupold products available for hunters, shooters, wildlife observers and tactical groups.
    The Redfields are now made in the same Beaverton, Oregon plant too. From the way I understand it, Leupold brought back the Redfield brand, intending for it to be a good, quality American made entry level scope line.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Nikon.

Good scope with good light transmission, in fact, some of the Nikons are better than some of the Leupolds.

Not as expensive, but well worth it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsor
    Zep,
    So you're the one who got my stick!

JK

I was trying to convince SWMBO that I really needed a Remy in 300win mag. She wasn't seeing things my way though.

I have to say that the Nikon Prostaff I just put on my wife's .22 plinker, though not what you want for 300yds appears to be a very high quality/$ scope.

I just got one of the Millett LRS1 scopes and it had to go back to Bushnell out of the box because the focus adjustment was inop.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dollars aside, I have a 3-9X Bushnell on my Rem 700 .30-06. It's been dropped, fallen over, dragged across rocks and through bushes, rained upon and muddied. Yet over 25 years later, it still produces 1" groups at 100 yards at the range. I'm not sure if that's a testiment to the scope, the rifle or both. Better scopes out there? Sure, but the inexpensive Bushnell has never missed when called upon.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

3-9 x 40 or so of any good brand. I use Leopold but I need the good glass to go out over 400 yds

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Zep,
    So you're the one who got my stick!

JK

I was trying to convince SWMBO that I really needed a Remy in 300win mag. She wasn't seeing things my way though.

I have to say that the Nikon Prostaff I just put on my wife's .22 plinker, though not what you want for 300yds appears to be a very high quality/$ scope.

I just got one of the Millett LRS1 scopes and it had to go back to Bushnell out of the box because the focus adjustment was inop.
    Yep. It was me. Got it yesterday.

Didn't take much for me. Girlfriend said quit buying guns. I told her I will stop after buying 3 more. It was agreed. Although I bought 2 yesterday... Hopefully she loses count. Or I will switch to ammo and accessories for a bit.

I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but it is an awesome gun. Can't wait to get this thing out to grand river.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Nikon.

Good scope with good light transmission, in fact, some of the Nikons are better than some of the Leupolds.

Not as expensive, but well worth it.
    The post above is from a man who knows what he is talking about. I started with a budget Nikon Prostaff on my M&P 15-22, then I realized that it held zero and had decent brightness and clarity. So then I figured I would test this so called budget scope on an AR and AK, guess what? She worked like a charm. So recently I just got a Remington 700 30-06 and put on a Nikon Monarch 2.5X10X42 and I have to say that is the best scope I have seen for under 500.00.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

My next 700 is going to have the Bushnell 3200 fixed 10 power with mil dots. $200 from Midway and still have beer money left over.

I have a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 on my Remington SPS Tactical, but it cost nearly $1K.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The best scopes for the money are the Nikon Monarchs. They are at the top end of your price range but the high light transmission, clarity, and warranty make up for the price. This website SWFA Riflescopes has a good deal on a used scope. It is a 2.5 x 10 x 42 which would give your new, flat-shooting rifle some legs. You can find new scopes on eBay for reasonable prices. I own 2 Nikon Monarchs, 1 on a .270 and the other on a 30-.06, and I am always impressed by their performance under hunting conditions. A rule of thumb is always buy enough scope for the gun. Good luck!

Sponsor
    Zep,
    How deep is the Grand River range? I haven't been there.
    If you're ever going to be in my neck of the woods give me a shout. The Youngstown Rifle and Pistol Club has a nice 200yard range.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links