Article: "Should I Buy a Gun?" from a Woman's perspective

This is a discussion on Article: "Should I Buy a Gun?" from a Woman's perspective within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Very interesting read from the perspective of a woman who has feared guns her whole life and even spent much of her life in gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Article: "Should I Buy a Gun?" from a Woman's perspective

Very interesting read from the perspective of a woman who has feared guns her whole life and even spent much of her life in gun restrictive areas such as Illinois, California, and New York. The first page describes her brushes with crime that got her wondering if she needed a gun, and the second page describes her first experience shooting a gun. Seems to be a very honest article with little, if any, political leaning. The author just shares her perspective.

Spoiler Alert: She does end up purchasing a gun, but we could still be critical of many of her actions (i.e., she keeps her Ruger LCR unloaded on the nightstand). But she has taken the first few important steps, such as trying to get rid of her ignorance and illogical fears about guns and getting some basic training.

Should I Buy a Gun? - A Crime Victim Considers a Controversial Means of Protection - ELLE.com
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Good article.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SigHawk View Post
    Very interesting read from the perspective of a woman who has feared guns her whole life and even spent much of her life in gun restrictive areas such as Illinois, California, and New York. The first page describes her brushes with crime that got her wondering if she needed a gun, and the second page describes her first experience shooting a gun. Seems to be a very honest article with little, if any, political leaning. The author just shares her perspective.

Spoiler Alert: She does end up purchasing a gun, but we could still be critical of many of her actions (i.e., she keeps her Ruger LCR unloaded on the nightstand). But she has taken the first few important steps, such as trying to get rid of her ignorance and illogical fears about guns and getting some basic training.

Should I Buy a Gun? - A Crime Victim Considers a Controversial Means of Protection - ELLE.com
    Hey, at least it's a step in the right direction..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

She seems to be much closer to having a clue than she was anyway. Progress is progress...

I can't believe she waited so long to get a gun after having experienced so much crime in her life.

I also can't believe I just read an entire article from Elle magazine!
    SigHawk likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    She keeps her Ruger LCR unloaded on her nightstand, why doesn't she just buy a brick?
    9MMare, rgbiker and marcclarke like this.

VIP Member
    WoW.

Took here a long time for an epiphany to come.

Better late than never. Good article nonetheless.
    Thanks for the link.

Now, be honest, what were you doing peeking in an Elle magazine??????,,,,,,,,,,,,JK
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    She keeps her Ruger LCR unloaded on her nightstand, why doesn't she just buy a brick?
    The problem as I see it is.....a woman MIGHT be reluctant to shoot an attacker. Some females will hesitate and have the gun taken by force. Some will try to only wound an attacker and, sadly, some will only brandish the gun, hoping to scare off the attacker.

if a woman owns/carries a handgun, she MUST HAVE THE WILL to shoot - to stop the attack, even if it means taking the life of a individual who is out to gravely harm her.

If it's not loaded, she's better off without it!
    claude clay likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    WoW.

Took here a long time for an epiphany to come.

Better late than never. Good article nonetheless.
    Thanks for the link.

Now, be honest, what were you doing peeking in an Elle magazine??????,,,,,,,,,,,,JK
    Uh, I was, uh, looking for an article on understanding women...no, I mean, my wife found the article and showed it to me. Yeah! That's it!

Hahaha...actually I was reading a newstory about a shooting, and this article popped up on the side in the "related stories" section. Didn't realize it was an "Elle" article until I saw all the ads for tampons and Yoga classes...
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If it's not loaded, she's better off without it!
    yup

a false sense of security can bring down on you more damage than if you just let life happen as it will.

a BG will sense your true intent--read right through a bluff in an instant.
    and if you are re-acting, that instant in which the BG acts is how the game will play out.

bluff with a bat; at least you will get a few hits in that will leave identifying bruises
    ...here's hoping your in condition to tell the police what parts of his body to look at.

--------------

though some take new ( and dangerous) things in steps.
    perhaps if she writes again in a year or so, after having taken a couple of classes and practiced,
    she will have it loaded in a holster by her bedside...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I didn't make it much past this (emphasis mine):

"the succession of broken locks, the bludgeoned door, the disheveled drawers and file cabinets, the ecosystem of the place irrevocably damaged."

Yea, a clueless liberal slowly getting a clue. Great. But couldn't she possibly write about it in less than 187,345,2234,689 liberal-speak words?????

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    But couldn't she possibly write about it in less than 187,345,2234,689 liberal-speak words?????
    No. (Silly boy.)

She doesn't actually have a clue yet. Her gun remains unloaded. She is still deep in woo land.

Sometimes people need a while to get comfortable with things. If you go by the group consensus here, there are no options, no choices at all. Every single person in the world must own a 1911, and keep it strapped on at all times, cocked and locked.

But in the real world, we see all kinds of variations. Some people store their gun and ammo separately, some people use safes, etc. So this gal finally decided to become an owner. Great. Might take her a while to feel up to keeping it loaded.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

One of my favorite SD articles was about a woman who heard a noise and went into the living room and saw a burglar/BG trying to climb in the window. Her husband's service revolver was in the drawer, loaded, near her. But nearer to the BG was a big lamp. Without hesitating, she hit him in the head with the lamp and KO'd him and he fell out onto the lawn, woke up and ran away.

She didn't say anything, she didn't turn around and get the gun losing her SA, she didn't run away or scream. She did the most efficient thing and got the biggest effect with the least energy.
    ==========
    On this topic, it seems like many people think that they can solve all their SD needs by getting a gun and doing little else. It's like buying some 'Hulk Hands' on Amazon and then challenging Roy Jones Jr. to a boxing match, thinking you will dominate his puny human hind-end.

If you look at 1000 self-defense situations where the (potential or actual) victim had a firearm, it would be interesting to see which involved firing, which involved threatening and brandishing, which involved self-inflicted wounds, how many victims had actually trained. I'm sure it's completely chaotic, much like real life.

I wouldn't be surprised that a cohort of people who were trained (and thus 'confident' of their handling capability) and some who had no training showed that trained people brandished more often and more successfully. (confidence being key).

FWIW
    shockwave likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links