Permanent car gun? Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Permanent car gun? Thoughts? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a co-worker who also has a concealed carry permit. He also has some very unconvential ways of thinking about self defense and carry ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Permanent car gun? Thoughts?

JL [OP]

I have a co-worker who also has a concealed carry permit. He also has some very unconvential ways of thinking about self defense and carry that I often don't agree with. He is considering buying a new weapon to keep in his vehicle for those times that he doesn't have his primary carry on him, or it's not convenient for him to holster up before leaving the house. In the past he has told me of his desire to have weapons stashed in locations all over the house. At the same time, I will mention, he doesn't want to be troubled by always having his carry gun on him, like I always do. Mind you, his primary carry is an LCP.

His plan to keep a second gun in a vehicle would certainly include keeping it in a cabled lock box.

Is anyone doing anything similar?

Thanks,

Joe

Keeping a second gun in a cabled lock box doesn't sound like something one could get to in an emergency.
    I use a CoM Safe hidden in the vehicle for the rare times I cannot bring a firearm into a area listed and 'off limits' by law.
    Other than those rare occasions, my firearm is ON my person. Your co-worker may sometime find himself in need of a weapon and not have it.
    Better to have it and not need it IMHO.
    bigmacque, JL, GunGeezer and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    NO! NO! NO!
    IMO, that is one of the most irresponsible things a gun owner can do.
    MattInFla, JL, 10thmtn and 5 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I once had a handgun (G17, CX590) stolen from inside a locked car glove box which was also locked with a working alarm system. I will NEVER leave a gun inside an unattended motor vehicle.

That being said, as I live in Arizona, my handgun goes where ever I go, either OC or CC. There are hundreds of holster makers who can furnish a comfortable carry holster for near anyone, but if someone ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST leave a handgun inside an attended vehicle, PLEASE use a strong lock box with a secure double cable method to insure it won't be cut and taken.
    JL and 10thmtn like this.

VIP Member
    Like retsupt99 and many others here, I keep a lockable safe of some sort in my vehicle for when I have to leave my gun behind. However leaving a gun in the car at all times is an invitation to trouble. IMO
    , if your going to carry, then carry. If your going to leave it in your car all the time, leave it at home.
    JL, tankdriver and Dale531 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am sort of on the fence on this one. I do keep a lock box cabled to my truck seat frame, and I keep a spare mag in the box all the time. I store my gun in the box if I have to go into a pistol free zone. Usually the hospital is the only one I have to worry about.

I understand those that worry about their gun being stolen, but if its possible I hide the case as best I can. If the gun is stolen then would just turn it into my auto insurance. Worse case I am out my deductable, but I get a new gun out of the deal.

I don't worry so much about the fact that some criminal now has my gun because I would report the theft as soon as I found out it was gone. I wouldn't be liable for any damages caused by the criminal. I know there are those that say they would feel terrible if someone was shot with 'their" gun, but once it's stolen it's not my gun, and the criminal could just as easily used a bat or a 2X4 with a rusty nail he found on the side of the road to rob someone.

I made every reasonable effort to balance my self protection by being armed, with obeying the laws concerning where I can carry, and securing my gun when it could not be in my control.
    JL, jklowe48, JerryMac and 5 others like this.

I have to admit.. I've given thought to this lately. Since I did get a gun stolen from my car about 12 years ago, which was an expensive Glock, I have never warmed to the idea. However, I ran off just a few days ago and left my gun at home. That was the first time in a while that I've done that. But I remember thinking how much I wished I had a little gun in the car, even if it was a cheap .22 or .25. Besides, my car is garaged most of the time now and I haven't had any sort of break-in since I moved out of that apartment 12 years ago.
    JL likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I have to leave my gun in my car A LOT unfortunately. I work in healthcare which means carrying in SC in hospitals, medical buildings, MD offices... is illegal. While I do not have a separate lock box, I do keep it lock in the glove box, I think that is reasonable precaution.
    JL and surefire7 like this.

The solution I came up with when find myself needing to run a quick errand and not wanting to holster was the dreaded off body carry. I understand the reasons that on body is preferred but I keep a Maxpedition GTG bag by the door that I can drop my sidearm in and hit the door. I much prefer IWB, but there are times I make the decision to grab and go.
    JL and surefire7 like this.

I've heard others say they have a "car gun", most of these people don't carry on body at all.

I have a car gun... it lives in a holster on my hp every time I get in the car :) It just also leaves with me when I'm not in the car...
    JL likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    NO! NO! NO!
    IMO, that is one of the most irresponsible things a gun owner can do.
    This x 1000

A lot of guns get stolen from cars here in Florida. It seems to be one of the primary ways the BGs get firearms.
    JL likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    This x 1000

A lot of guns get stolen from cars here in Florida. It seems to be one of the primary ways the BGs get firearms.
    You mean they don't go to gun shows and get 'em? Whooda thunkit?
    JL, BkCo1 and Sawmilljack like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

JL [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I have to leave my gun in my car A LOT unfortunately. I work in healthcare which means carrying in SC in hospitals, medical buildings, MD offices... is illegal. While I do not have a separate lock box, I do keep it lock in the glove box, I think that is reasonable precaution.
    I keep a gun vault 300 in the car for the rare occasions I can't carry, which is usually just for church. My co-worker's point was what's the difference, since I am essentially doing the same thing. But to me it's clearly a matter of his risk being increased by orders of magintude by having it in the vehicle 24-7 as opposed to the occasional hour or so a week on Sunday morning.

Good points all around reinforcing my opinion on the matter. Thanks to all who replied.

It depends. You might find it hard to draw your gun when behind the wheel. If you are concerned about car jacking then a more accessible gun in a console or other place in the vehicle may make sense.

Also how likely is your vehicle to be broken into? I suppose a lot would depend on where you park and at what times. If it is just as likely your home will be broken into as your vehicle, do you keep all your weapons in a safe or on your person at home?

While I agree we don't want to make theft of our guns easy, I don't think this should be taken to the point where we don't own guns or have them accessible. We are not responsible for the actions of criminals.
    JL likes this.

I can't see leaving a gun in my car. If someone steals my car, that is bad enough, but know that I have also armed such a person is making a bad situation even worse. I went out the other morning and someone had opened my doors (I forgot to lock them the night before) and went through my truck. All they got was my wife's cell phone (a cheapie) and a pair of gloves. I would me motified if they also had gotten a weapon.
    JL likes this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links