How do you clean your gun?

This is a discussion on How do you clean your gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have had a lot of different opinions on this topic. i have always followed the gun manual and back of cleaning products as standard, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How do you clean your gun?

How do you clean your gun?

I have had a lot of different opinions on this topic. i have always followed the gun manual and back of cleaning products as standard, lately I've heard not use oil or lube on your gun unless storing and before taking out shooting to hit it up with WD40 and a cotton swab. I don't oil my gun down by any means but i put a very thin layer on the "action" moving parts. I am going to carry daily as soon as permit is here but want to make sure I'm doing everything right. So my question is how do you all clean your carry weapons?
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

2. Remove Ads

I clean the bore with a foaming cleaner, and the rest of the gun with either #9 or another solvent. I clean out those products with a degreaser like Gunscrubber, but I apply it with a Qtip or rag or patch, not by blasting through the action at random. I lube with X1-R grease or RIG +P grease because it stays put on carry guns and doesn't leak into my clothes. If I have to spray an exterior finish I use a silicone spray I get at the hardware store. I personally don't care for CLP products except in very rare circumstances, and I would only use WD40 if nothing else was available anywhere in the world. I clean and lube separately so I rarely use CLP on my personal guns, and I can pick from many chemicals better than WD40.

I have spent many years caring for range rental guns, and I have the ability to fully detail strip everything I own (which is a lot of wierd stuff). Unless there is a good reason not to, I usually do a full cleaning after every shooting trip.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I clean with #9 and wipes or a tooth brush to get in the grooves and hard to reach areas. I tend to leave a wet wipe with #9 in the barrel for a few minutes while I clean the rest of the gun and it does a pretty good job of dissolving most of the gunk. I use gun oil in small amounts on the slide rails (put one drop at one end and stand it up, and on the moving lube areas as recommended. I do clean after each shooting session and actually enjoy the process.

Lube your weapon just do not over do it light coat is the key. NO oil left in the barrel . Some use a light grease on the slides.
    As for what to use put all the products on the market in a box reach in grab one you have the best. They will tell you not to use CLP on a handgun it will gum it up I disagree been using CLP for well over 20 years. Rem Oil is a fine light oil as they all are. I know a few that use light SYN automotive Transmission oil , seem to work for them.
    I clean it after using it, but that is more the Army in me that anything else. WD40 is not a real lube it is more a cleaner and water displacer more of freeing sticking parts. May not hurt anything but I would not count on it as a lube works good on the gun locks . .
    l1a1 likes this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I clean with Hoppe`s #9 and a bore snake which works very well for me. For my semi-auto`s I lube with light moly-grease for the rails and Hoppe`s Elite gun oil for the rest. I find the Hoppe`s Elite better then Rem oil as it doesn`t disapear as fast and has a thicker viscosity. Just me.

I usually get all the nasty stuff off with Hoppes #9 with rags, brush, whatever I have at the time and depending on the grime level. I also run some solvent down the barrel a couple times then wipe/swab everything dry. After that I go over everything with a rag that I spray with a light coat of Rem-oil and some down the barrel and I give everything a good wipe down and double check it's clean and oiled before putting everything back together. I tend to go good periods of time between shooting, for my most used firearms like my XD9sc and my AK I usually shoot at least once a month but everything else is usually more generous in the oil department.

Pretty much in line with the other posts. Clean the bore with your favorite solvent, and never oil the bore unless you're putting the gun away for some time (=months, not days). Likewise, if you take a gun out of storage, run a swab down the bore before you shoot it.

My lubrication regime, in the absence of specific instructions, is that parts which rotate (e.g., hammer or trigger pins) get oil; parts that slide get light grease (I use Slide Glide). Let me add that I live in the AZ desert and temps below freezing are rarely encountered here, but back in my native New England I certainly wouldn't use grease in cold weather. Lubes are applied sparingly, in general.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Hoppes #9 for cleaning. Clean the bore and slide very thoroughly, making sure not to get gunk in the firing pin channel. Clean the frame and trigger assembly lightly and only as needed IMO. To oil I put EWL Slip 2000 on the fore part of the barrel, a drop on each slide rail, a drop on the top of the slide that contacts the barrel shroud, and a drop on the trigger bar. Just a small small drop. Put back together, and wipe down.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

M-Pro 7 aircraft cleaner. No odor. No fumes. Cleans everything.

Guess I need to quit taking it in the shower with me and hosing it out with WD-40 afterward - OK, not a good idea, but it worked pretty good in SE Asia many years ago

I've used a CLP called Breakfree ever since the Marine Corps introduced me to it in 1981. CLP stands for Cleaner-Lubricant-Protectant

Recently I just changed to a product called Gunzilla. It is also a CLP except it's all organic. No ammonia, solvents, harmful chemicals, harsh odors. Also good for blackpowder muzzle loaders. Copper and lead just melts away. I have not needed to use a bristle bore brush of any kind since I started using it. Although not officially adopted by the military yet, I look for it to be in the not so distant future.

A lot of military units are using it exclusively on all their light and heavy weapons in Iraq and A-Stan. Everything from pistols, M-4's, Saws, MK-19 automatic grenade launchers, M2 .50 cal and even 20mm Gatling guns.

Do a search for Gunzilla in the forum. You'll find several threads on it. Also google it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Awesome, thanks for all the replies... Ill continue doing what I've been doing, I am definately going to go get some better oil, I don't like what i have been using from the kit, Gunzilla looks interesting
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

I use gunzilla on all my guns,use a light synthetic grease on slide rails,
    tkruf likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glock Cleaning Basics - YouTube

I also try to detail strip and clean my gun once a week, but lately i've been losing so many pieces I might just stop. Luckily S&W customer service is da bomb.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

sgb
    I use Hoppes's #9 for carbon fouling and BreakFree CLP for general cleaning.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links