Springfeild XD 40 subcompact? But already have a XD 45 compact!

This is a discussion on Springfeild XD 40 subcompact? But already have a XD 45 compact! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im thinking of getting another XD. Looking at the XD subcompact in OD green. I already own a XD 45 acp compact in all black. ...

Thread: Springfeild XD 40 subcompact? But already have a XD 45 compact!

Im thinking of getting another XD. Looking at the XD subcompact in OD green. I already own a XD 45 acp compact in all black. I guess my main reason for maybe wanting the subcompact is its smaller and thats always a good thing for CCW. But also because id like to add a 40s&w to the collection and an OD green gun to the colletion. But other then that i have my doubts just because im thinking it would be to similar to my XD compact. I havent really compaired them side buy side to see the size difference. I just know its smaller. Also im a huge Springfeild XD fan so i guess i figure the more the merry. But do you guys think its just too similar or is it different enough to warrant the purchase to add to my gun family?

I love my SA XD40 SC, carries like a dream, don't even know it's there most of the time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have a XD 40sc and a XD 40c and I like both equally. The big difference in concealment is the smaller grip with the sc and for all day carry the sc is a little lighter which makes a big difference. I carry the sc in warmer weather and the c when I wear sweatshirts or jackets.

Yea i even thought about getting a new XDM but i cant justify it! The XDM 45 compact holds 1 less round then my XD compact it has a hair shorter barrel and i dont need the adjustable grips cause the regular XD fits in my hand perfect plus i already own a 45 acp. And the other XDMs look too big with 4.5 barrels and full grips. And they dont make any in OD green! I feel like the original XD line has more options. I think the XD40 SC in OD green would be be nice to keep my XD45 C company!

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    I have a XD 40sc and a XD 40c and I like both equally. The big difference in concealment is the smaller grip with the sc and for all day carry the sc is a little lighter which makes a big difference. I carry the sc in warmer weather and the c when I wear sweatshirts or jackets.
    So you think the XD40 SC makes a good summer carry gun? How is it for T shirt and shorts carry? Im asking cause im looking for a good summer carry gun cause everything i have now you have to wear jeans with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
    So you think the XD40 SC makes a good summer carry gun? How is it for T shirt and shorts carry? Im asking cause im looking for a good summer carry gun cause everything i have now you have to wear jeans with.
    Personally, it would depend on the shorts, but can be a little on the heavy side,unless your wearing shorts that allow for a GUN belt. I carry a xdsc most of the time, do not get me wrong love it, but have recently purchased, a Taurus, PT740 Slim, please ppl, do not bash this gun untill you own it, have shot several hundred rounds through it and all it wants is more ammo..... the most concealable large caliber handgun I have ever owned. That being said, I will continue shooting it, and when summer gets here, there is my weapon///// In reply to the thread, you can never have to many XDs, and think the sub compact wold make a perfect addtiton to any colledtion. I own two, and would not hesitate to buy another if the right deal came along.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

yea i figured i would need probably cargo shorts with a belt. But its still gotta be lighter then the XD45 compact that i have i would think! On their web site my compact is 29 oz empty and the 40 sub compact is 26 oz. So i figure thats 3 oz in gun weight plus i would think the loaded weight would be lighter since the bullets are a little smaller so maybe like 4 oz lighter all together. I would think the smaller size and the 4 oz should make a difference while carrying.

I have a xd 40 compact and love it! My brother in law has the olive drab green 45 compact and i wish i would have gotten that but maybe i'll do the same as you just opposite, I'll get a 45sc in OD. I'm not a small guy and have no problem with the size or weight of the compact as an EDC, however, I think the shorter grip would be more comfortable in certain carry positions.
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

VIP Member
    I'm certainly not saying don't get one, but I wouldn't get one expecting much significant difference between the two. I carry an XD .40 subcompact almost every day and while I have no reasons to dislike it, I really don't think there is all that much physical difference between your current pistol and the subcompact. The weight and height are close enough to the same that I can't imagine that you'd feel much of any difference. The length is about an inch shorter, which might make it more comfortable when sitting or bending, depending on how you carry it. I guess it would be easier to conceal OWB, since that's one less inch that you have to cover with a shirt or coat. As I see it, that's the biggest overall factor, beyond the ballistic differences between the .40 vs .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanr4 View Post
    I have a xd 40 compact and love it! My brother in law has the olive drab green 45 compact and i wish i would have gotten that but maybe i'll do the same as you just opposite, I'll get a 45sc in OD. I'm not a small guy and have no problem with the size or weight of the compact as an EDC, however, I think the shorter grip would be more comfortable in certain carry positions.
    Just to give you a heads up springfeild does not make a XD sub compact in .45 acp! Only in 9mm or .40 s&w. They do make a XDM .45 acp compact but its the same size pretty much as the XD compact and also they dont make it in OD green. So if you want the OD green like i do in sub compact your stuck with ether 9mm or 40 s&w thats it!

VIP Member
    Well actually they do, sorta.

Springfield Armory XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yea but that thing only holds 5 rounds and i doubt they make it in OD green! To me a 5 or 6 round compact auto is pointless id rather carry a 357 mag snub nose 7 shot! Main thing that i like about the XD sub compacts is it holds 13 rounds in 40 s&w and 16 in 9mm.

XD 40SC Conceled Carry

I recently saw a gentleman wearing shorts in a Kroger carrying a XD 40SC on a belt holster, open carry, with his t-shirt tucked in. Guess who wouldn't mess with him!?!?!? I own an 40SC and i love it but I haven't used it for CC much. A bit big for my occupation. I got a Ruger .380 LCP for CC. How many people who have gotten shot with a .380, got up and said "Do that Again!!"?

Re: Springfeild XD 40 subcompact? But already have a XD 45 compact!

I see now that they offer a 7 round mag with a Max-Xtension base to get your 3rd finger on the grip.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Links