Most expensive Garage sale purchase..

This is a discussion on Most expensive Garage sale purchase.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I think I am nearing going over the edge towards a .45.. I had a chance at buying a lot of reloading gear from ...

Thread: Most expensive Garage sale purchase..

Most expensive Garage sale purchase..

Well, I think I am nearing going over the edge towards a .45.. I had a chance at buying a lot of reloading gear from a gentleman in town. It seems he was getting out of reloading all together.

Even though I don't currently own anything in the caliber, I ended up making three trips from his basement to my van with boxes of items that include 2 reloading presses, dies, bullets, tumbler, scale, and almost 3k pieces of 1-3 times fired brass according to the labels on the neat little plastic boxes in which they were stored.

I was able to get it all for a great price, but something tells me that the BIG expenditure I had hoped to hold off making until my birthday in November is coming a bit early.

Does it make any sense at all to make up some ammunition for a gun I don't yet have? I suspect loading for pistols is much like rifles, and they may prefer one recipe over another.

Has anyone else bought a gun just to shoot brass that they ended up owning?

I am debating between a Kimber Gold Match II and a Springfield Loaded and more loading components to feed it. I was going to start reloading for the Glock .40S&W, but just don't have the nerve to overcome the scary potential of the kaBoom I have read so much about.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - I'll bet there are a few folks who got a cal first and then looked for the gun LOL.

Sounds like you did real good on a deal but now, assuming you are new to reloading - read, lots! Get Richard Lee's 2nd edition book on reloading - Lyman #47 if you can find it tho #48 IIRC is the latest. Speer 13 is useful too.

Anyways bone up a lot and resist loading too much of a new ''gunless'' cal ahead of time - you will need to shoot trial and safe loads to establish your required baseline. Practice first on cals you can shoot.

If you already reload forget my attempts at newb help!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I guarantee you aren't the only one. If you get a great price for it, by all means go for it. If for some crazy reason you end up not using it, you can always trade the parts at a gunshow for something you will use. Sounds like you've got lots to keep you busy for a while now.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have only been reloading since May, so I am very much a newbie.. I enjoy loading the .204 Ruger and the .22-250 for accuracy but there are only so many rifle rounds that one can have on hand and expect to perform more testing. I can only get to the range on weekends, but can get to the reloading area in the basement nightly if my small children allow a normal bedtime!

I plan to do much brass preparation and load research while looking for that ammunition dispenser. Then, when I have something to test for accuracy and reliability will go to "press".

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have purchased ammo in bulk before and then had to buy a gun to fit it....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Assistant Administrator
    PM (PM's) received Michael thank you.

All you need now to add to your ''goodies'' is a boatload of spare time
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    just pick up the dies for the calibers you do have.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Sure. Even though I'm not into reloading at the moment (no room to set up a bench) I have been either given or gotten calibers that I don't own and then went and bought the firearm that the cartridege would fit.

I have some .45-70 ammo left, now I'm thinking of one of those BFR's that are chambered in .45-70 *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    just pick up the dies for the calibers you do have.

AFS
    I have actually thought that makes a ton of sense for the short term. I have to get past the idea of reloading for the .40S&W in the for the Glock though.. That discussion is probably best left to another thread for sure..

VIP Member
    I've had a set of.....ready for this?.......41 Action Express dies for years in anticipation of getting a gun in that caliber....never happened and I still have the dies.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I've had a set of.....ready for this?.......41 Action Express dies for years in anticipation of getting a gun in that caliber....never happened and I still have the dies.

eBay.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Every thing that I read about reloading when I started made it pretty clear that you should test the rounds that you made in small batches as you work up to the proper load. So, if you don't own a .45 don't make up thousands of rounds for it.

I have two Lee Turret presses set up on my bench. One for 9mm and the other for .45 ACP. All that I have to do is drop powder and primers in them and pull the handle to begin making ammo. Yet, I have not made a round in almost nine years. Store bought ammo is so cheap that it is hardly worth the time. Time is far more important than money to me, these days. I keep running into sales at different stores and the price is just too tempting not to buy factory ammo.
    I was out to the range yesterday. After I was done shooting. I spent the time to pick up the brass, because, well, you never know when you might need it.

And as the song says, "The gales of November often come early."

Happy Birthday

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Oak View Post
    Every thing that I read about reloading when I started made it pretty clear that you should test the rounds that you made in small batches as you work up to the proper load. So, if you don't own a .45 don't make up thousands of rounds for it.

I have two Lee Turret presses set up on my bench. One for 9mm and the other for .45 ACP. All that I have to do is drop powder and primers in them and pull the handle to begin making ammo. Yet, I have not made a round in almost nine years. Store bought ammo is so cheap that it is hardly worth the time. Time is far more important than money to me, these days. I keep running into sales at different stores and the price is just too tempting not to buy factory ammo.
    I was out to the range yesterday. After I was done shooting. I spent the time to pick up the brass, because, well, you never know when you might need it.

And as the song says, "The gales of November often come early."

Happy Birthday
    Ammo would have to get a lot cheaper in my area for me not to reload. I can knock out 300 rounds (6 boxes) in half an hour from start to finish. A box of .45s costs me about $3 to $5 depending on the age of my brass. That same $18 to $30 I need to make 6 boxes of reloads will by me about no more than about 2 boxes of factory.45s (maybe 3 if I can find military surplus in bulk).

Of course, I will buy factory ammo if I can get it as cheap as my reloads. I just haven't found any.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Links