Just purchased a GLOCK - Page 2

Just purchased a GLOCK

This is a discussion on Just purchased a GLOCK within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glocks are striker fired. Th stock trigger feels nothing like a revolver's pull. However, if one puts a NY1 or NY2 trigger in a Glock ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Just purchased a GLOCK

Glocks are striker fired. Th stock trigger feels nothing like a revolver's pull. However, if one puts a NY1 or NY2 trigger in a Glock it feels closer to a revolver like pull. That is why the NYPD installed them, for easier transition for the revolver guys.

As to the OP's new purchase of a Glock 19. Great choice. The 19 is one of the best Glocks for size, concealment, shootablility, reliability, durability and capacity. Great choice, you will not be disappointed.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Moderator
    I'm a 1911 person as well and got a Glock 19 a little over a year ago... or was it two years ago?

Either way... I wanted a 9mm without an external safety. I tried the S&W M&P9c and while I really liked the gun it didn't seem to carry well and I didn't like the fact that it had a magazine disconnect (I know there is a model without a magazine disconnect but.. whatever).. I ended up selling it. I went back to my 1911 for a while and then the Gen 4s came out and JD bought a 19 for me new in box.

I had some spring issues but after I switched out springs all was (and has remained) well with my Glock.

I like carrying it. I like that it's lighter than my 1911 and with two kids and all their gear to carry around weight has become a bit more of an issue than it used to be. I also like the fact that it has a pretty good capacity for its size. I can also control the 9mm better with one hand than I can a .45 which is something I'm more likely to have to do in a self defense situation since I am almost always with my children and will have to have one hand free to control/hold them.

So far I'm really liking my Glock.

I don't think Glock is the begin all and end all of firearms or that "there's nothing better" because that all depends on application and need. Right now it's meeting my needs pretty well and I'm very happy with it.

And as far as the DAO/SAO argument for the Glock goes.. it really doesn't fall into either category as it's not fully cocked until firing and there is no hammer to cock. It's a striker fired firearm and pulling the trigger does complete the striker cycle so, yeah, if it HAD to be in either classification it is far more similar to a DAO than an SAO. At least when I had to put Glocks in the ATF records book at work I would always have to classify them as DAO though I've never liked putting them in that category but it's certainly closer than SAO.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    GLOCK=Win!
    3rd Gen=Win!
    19=WIN!

You've got a great win streak going!
    Why a Gen 3 over a Gen 4?

VIP Member
    I still got another day for my waiting period here in WISCONSIN before I can pick it up. I will get to the range Monday or Tuesday and get to know it. I wanted a cheap light weight that had good cap and what I call intermediate size. I like the FNs, Sig and H&K but this was less thanhalf the price and fit my hand really nice.
    I do like the rear sight, so if I like the way it shoots I may upgrade to night sights and I may upgrade the trigger. Sorry I won't be selling any of my S&Ws or 1911s any time soon.

thanks for the advice so far!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    DAO = SUCK.

But, really, they're great guns. Quite probably the best for the price. Shot a few different Glocks, and they are pretty good point and shoot guns, but I still don't like DAO guns.
    With the short trigger reset, it isn't entirely accurate to describe it as DAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I still got another day for my waiting period here in WISCONSIN before I can pick it up. I will get to the range Monday or Tuesday and get to know it. I wanted a cheap light weight that had good cap and what I call intermediate size. I like the FNs, Sig and H&K but this was less thanhalf the price and fit my hand really nice.
    I do like the rear sight, so if I like the way it shoots I may upgrade to night sights and I may upgrade the trigger. Sorry I won't be selling any of my S&Ws or 1911s any time soon.

thanks for the advice so far!
    I love the Trijicon nitesights, but would strongly recommend against doing anything more than a Ghost 3.5 connector to the trigger.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I love the Trijicon nitesights, but would strongly recommend against doing anything more than a Ghost 3.5 connector to the trigger.
    I will have to look into the trigger set ups. I agree that I don't need a hair trigger, I just don't want the stick in the gravel long travel feel either. Once I get a few hundred rounds in it I will make a decision. thanks

I started out against the Glock just because!!!!!!!!!

I now carry a Glock 36 EDC and love it!!!!!!!

Glock won the heart and mind battle again!!!!!!!

As to the the Glock 19, had one, but I just don't like the 9mm for EDC., the 36 is the same size but has been dehorned for better reholstering.

Plus it is a 45acp 6+1 and shoots and handles very well for me!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    While there are fancier (thus more expensive) guns out there, with a few rare exceptions Glocks just plain work upon demand every time.
    Old School likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I will have to look into the trigger set ups. I agree that I don't need a hair trigger, I just don't want the stick in the gravel long travel feel either. Once I get a few hundred rounds in it I will make a decision. thanks
    You only get the quarter-inch trigger slack with the first squeeze, even with a stock set-up. From there, the quarter-inch trigger pull resets when released back to the reset position. With some practice, you can get very quick and accurate with the Glock trigger.
    ks kid and 10thmtn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You only get the quarter-inch trigger slack with the first squeeze, even with a stock set-up. From there, the quarter-inch trigger pull resets when released back to the reset position. With some practice, you can get very quick and accurate with the Glock trigger.
    Yep, take out the slack for the first shot, release to the reset on the rest. The Glock 19 is arguably one of the best carry guns on the market IMO. There a lot of good guns on the market now, but for many reasons, it's one of my favorites. Upgrade the sights and dry fire it several thousand times = good to go.

My opinion is you bought yourself one of the best firearms made, but of course my opinion doesn't matter, it's your opinion that matters. Take it to the range and give it a try, then let us know what is your opinion.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

+1 IMO...

Glocks are excellent firearms. I rank um right the with the M&P, the PPS, and a few others that I consider as solid utilitarian combat handguns; built for action and performance. Not the prettiest, but certainly among the leaders when it comes to reliability. I have a few Glocks in the line up and even though I use the slim single stack 9mm's for CC 99% of the time, the Glocks and M&P get some attention too.

I load all my 9mm's with either standard pressure 147gr Remington Golden Sabers, or the 124 gr Speer +p Gold Dot. My larger 9's run with the GS and the short barreled single stack ones run the Gold Dots. Is there something better, pretty sure, but IMO either of these are way good enough.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I love my G19. I have Big Dots on it and they work very well. Congratulations!

Heres an interactive website that shows how the Glock action works.

Genitron.com: Basics-Interactive Illustrated Glock Pistol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links