Issue with Colt Mustang

Issue with Colt Mustang

This is a discussion on Issue with Colt Mustang within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took the wife to the range for the first time this week. Put several guns in her hand to see what she liked and what ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sgb
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By CLASS3NH

Thread: Issue with Colt Mustang

Issue with Colt Mustang

Took the wife to the range for the first time this week. Put several guns in her hand to see what she liked and what she could hold on to. Needless to say for her first time out she didn't like the .45's I own. She did like my Colt Mustang as well as a Ruger Sp101 w/ .38sp loads.

Upon firing several magazines through the Mustang, it failed to lock back after the last round of the magazine several times. What could cause this to happen?

I believe most of the time the mags are to blame for the slide not locking back.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

As Wisewolf mentioned, failure of the slide to lock back on the last round is generally a magazine problem if you're using aftermarket magazines. If your magazine(s) are genuine Colt, then disassemble the gun and look carefully at the slide lock itself to see if there's a piece chipped off. If all looks good, then I'd recommend a trip to the gunsmith.

VIP Member
    Also take a look at the follower in the magazine. On the left side the follower there is a small lower shelf, if that is bent down slightly it will not engage the slide stop and the slide will not lock back.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Take the slide off and replace the slide stop pin, now insert the magazine. The mag lip will need to push the slide-stop up.

It's either a bad mag feed lip (99%) or a worn slide stop

It's a message from the beyond, let her have the SP101. Especially if she is going to carry.

I haven't disassembled and cleaned it yet. Been at work since we returned. Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at those areas. It's actually the original magazine that came with the pistol. So, it may be worn.

Though she liked the SP101, she really didn't like the trigger pull. The distance from grip to finger tip was just too far. Just not comfortable for her to pull.

sgb
    Possibly her grip (interfering with the slide stop) or worn out magazine spring
    Tzadik likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Thumb on the slide lock.
    Tzadik and Hopyard like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think you need to send that ol decrepid Mustang to me, so I can give it a good home. Please don't try to fix it, as I will take it off your hands. LOL....just kidding you here. Actually what MSgt said may very well be true. Take a look at the Mag follower, there should be a step on one side of the follower and it might be bent downward. if it is, take a pair of needle nose pliers and CAREFULLY bend it upward ever so slightly, so the slide stop engages. Do this until the slide stop engages (it's common to see this lip get bent slightly over the years. If you can't get it to work, you have two choices, one is to send me the gun and I'll give it a good home, OR try a Sig P238 Mag in the gun (they're basically the same mag design)
    Let us know how you make out.
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Rent a LCR 357. Let her shoot it with standard 38spl. work up to 38+P.

Links