Gander Mountain indoor range call for reviews...

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain indoor range call for reviews... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We just completed / opened an indoor shooting range. We are planning our next facility and starting an investment fund for more. While at Shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain indoor range call for reviews...

Gander Mountain indoor range call for reviews...

We just completed / opened an indoor shooting range. We are planning our next facility and starting an investment fund for more. While at Shot Show I met the company who supplies Gander Mtn with their equipment Range Systems. Gander has constructed indoor shooting ranges in seven of their stores and have plans for 100 across the country. In the next five years.

There's not one in my area so I'm curious to get input from folks here as to what you like (and don't) about their facilities? I've heard that some have simulators and would appreciate feedback on it as well.

Range Development Services, LLC

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I'm local to the first of Gander's Academies. The range is, in a word, superb.

The ranges are divided into two sides. The live fire side contains (naturally) the live fire range. The other side contains the simulators and classrooms.

The live fire range has 8 lanes and can handle rifles up to 300 win mag. The lane booths are spacious, and have partitions which will also (supposedly) stop rounds up to 300 win mag. The target carriers are very beefy, with the carrier riding on an I beam (no saggy cables). The carriers have target illumination on them, which is switchable. The carriers are electronic and can be programmed to set distance as well as rotate the target to edge on or to show either the front or rear face.

One of the things I like about their range is that they always have an RO present in the range. Other public ranges in the area don't do this, and as a result there is some very poor gun handling on the line sometimes.

On the virtual side, they have three simulator types. There is the "v-range" which is like a conventional shooting range. There are also 180 and 300 degree simulator ranges. They allow holster work on the virtual side, and the pistols are Glock 22s modified for the simulators. There is a laser in the barrel that the simulators detect to determine bullet impact, and a CO2 cartridge in the magazine causes the slide to reciprocate with each shot, simulating recoil.

The simulators are excellent, with a variety of scenarios as well as target shooting environments.

Overall, I think the Gander range is one of the best out there. I'd say it is as good or better than the NRA HQ range (which is excellent). I'd suggest a field trip to shoot at one of the Gander ranges. I don't think you could go at all wrong if you emulate them.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

It's sure be nice to see one in the Marquette, Michigan store. I really doubt that will ever happen though.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Hope to see them in Wisconsin. Some years ago the State set out to shut down in door ranges even ones the State owned. Milwaukee wanted every one out of business and has worked hard to make it happen. If someone like Gander got into the act things could change around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Hope to see them in Wisconsin. Some years ago the State set out to shut down in door ranges even ones the State owned. Milwaukee wanted every one out of business and has worked hard to make it happen. If someone like Gander got into the act things could change around here.
    Your in luck! Gander Mountain opened one in Lacrosse and one near Madison.

Have yet to check them out but I would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by Yupp View Post
    Your in luck! Gander Mountain opened one in Lacrosse and one near Madison.

Have yet I check them out but I would like to.
    Oh my in Madison there is some Justice left in this state. I will make it a point to get there Madiosn is on 50 miles . I can shoot at home but I will go there.

The Madison Gander is small, but very nice.

Range officer always in the range, no reloads allowed and they check your ammo & gun before you can shoot. (had a guy next lane over shooting 9mm out of his .40 yesterday... had both guns, just loaded the wrong ammo)
    pick of 8-10 different targets - free.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin

I agree with Smitty there is a shortage of indoor ranges (especially high end) in the S.E. WI area. I even went as far as looking for a spot to start one in my area. My wife was not aligned with my thinking however. I don't know enough about the operations etc since being a retired banker. I think it would be used a lot. I would like a Gander Mtn. as discribed above closer than 2 hours (Madison) away. JMHO.
    sid1 likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I have been to the Gander Range in Madison multiple times. The equipment and range are excellent although it would be nice to have the range longer than 25 feet. For the most part the range officers have been very helpful and knowledgeable and have really helped some new shooters that I saw there.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Overall, I think the Gander range is one of the best out there. I'd say it is as good or better than the NRA HQ range (which is excellent). I'd suggest a field trip to shoot at one of the Gander ranges. I don't think you could go at all wrong if you emulate them.
    When was the last time you were at the NRA Range? It has been redone in the past year. New Floor, New Baffles, New Target carriers, I also believe new air handler, the target carriers at the NRA Range are one of kind, as in the the first range to get them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    When was the last time you were at the NRA Range? It has been redone in the past year. New Floor, New Baffles, New Target carriers, I also believe new air handler, the target carriers at the NRA Range are one of kind, as in the the first range to get them.
    Fair point - I haven't been there since I moved to Florida, so say 2005...
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I give you one next week signed wife and daughter up for some time on Sunday . Seemed like a good mother /daughter gift.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    I agree with Smitty there is a shortage of indoor ranges (especially high end) in the S.E. WI area. I even went as far as looking for a spot to start one in my area. My wife was not aligned with my thinking however. I don't know enough about the operations etc since being a retired banker. I think it would be used a lot. I would like a Gander Mtn. as discribed above closer than 2 hours (Madison) away. JMHO.
    Badge guns in Milwaukee and Shooter shop west allias in door ranges

Badge guns in Milwaukee and Shooter shop west allias in door ranges
    Just off of Hwy. 41 in Lomira, Midwestern shooters supply has an indoor pistol range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    bandrich,
    I can assist with taking the concept of a high end indoor shooting range from the planning stage to reality. Contact me if you have interest in discussing further.

Range Development Services, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links