45 lc lever

This is a discussion on 45 lc lever within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have two Marlins(30-30 , 357) and a Rossi "Puma" (45lc). Both of the Marlins were smooth right out of the box and have better ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 45 lc lever

I have two Marlins(30-30 , 357) and a Rossi "Puma" (45lc).
    Both of the Marlins were smooth right out of the box and have better sights than the Rossi. The Marlin 1894C in 357/38 has some feed issues if it is "short stroked" but this isn't a problem so long as you operate the lever fully. (The problem is operator error, not rifle)

The Rossi I have is a "Saddle ring carbine" with 16" barrel and large loop lever. I love the short barrel, but am not a big fan of the large loop lever. I walk with a cane and use a single-point sling which makes this rifle very easy to handle with one hand.
    The Rossi needed some minor action work to take off the rough edges and make it run smooth but once that was done it is the smoothest of the three leverguns I have. I like the "cross bolt" safety on the Marlins better than the little flip switch thingy that Rossi put on theirs. There is a way to remove the safety from the Rossi, but I personally don't care to do that.

.357 mag vs 45lc? IMO it has to be 45lc for overall versatility from mild to wild, there is a load that will handle almost anything from rabbits to "varmints" to bear. Given the choice, I would take a Marlin over the Rossi just because I believe the Marlins are better quality. The down side for me is that Marlin doesn't make a short barrel carbine in 45lc.

Can't tell I like my levers, huh?
    claude clay likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

2. Remove Ads

I have 3 marlins 336's, one 1948 35 rem, one 1952 32 win spec, and a 1983 35 rem. The older guns are definately nicer guns, but all are good guns and shoot very well.

This past year I picked up a Rossi 20 inch Stainless 44 mag. The 44 mag with the steel butt plate kicks pretty hard with my hot 240 gr loads when wearing just a t shirt. I have no complaints against the Rossi for what I paid for it. The sights on the Marlins are better, and I will replace the front sight on the Rossi this year with a brass or white bead sight to make it easier to see. I have notices my eyes getting a bit worse the past year or so.

If you are looking at the octagon barrel guns, my only suggestion is to go handle them. They are very heavy and don't balance well from a free standing possition.

As far as the .357 mag being effective enough for hunting or home defense, it definately gets you covered for home defense, and depending on the ammo selection and the game you are hunting will be just fine for many of the animals in the US. I see you are in TN, so I think anything up to the size deer you have there and if you have any black bears in your area, the .357 with the right round would be sufficient in my view.

BTW, I will at some time, pick up a .357 lever gun for the wife to go along with her GP100. Besides, since I have an SP101, I guess I could ask her if I could borrow it sometime.
    claude clay likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The 45 Colt is an awesome round, you get some real history with it, carries the same punch as 44 Magnum (check out the powder loads for reloading and ft pounds of energy) and is just plain fun to shoot. I reload both the 45 Colt and the 44 Magnum, both are equally capable of home defense, hunting medium game (deer/hog/bear) and just fun......

I was shooting 45 Colt in a 3.5" barreled revolver this past weekend at a target at 75 yards. this was from a bench rest and the berm behind it was at 125 yards. The bullet drop was minimal. Both the 45 Colt and the 44 Magnum are 125 to 150 yard rounds, especially from a Marlin.

Here's a picture of my most recent 44. A Marlin 1894P. I'm a Marlin collector / shooter and I prefer straight necked cartridges in straight stocked lever actions.

BTW, nothing wrong with the 357 Marlin, fun, fun, fun but I wouldn't use it for hog & bear. Some would, I wouldn't.

1895gunner
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If your looking for plinking,the 22 lr lever guns are a hoot,Henry makes one that sells around 250.00
    I have the Henry in .22mag...step up just a little higher!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have Rossi lever actions in both .357 and .45 Colt, and like them both. If you handload, the .45 colt is capable of taking any game in North America, within a reasonable range, though it would not be my first choice for the big bears or elk. It can also be loaded light for small game and easy target practice. If you don't reload, it can get expensive to shoot much.

If I had to have only one though, it would be the .357. Shoot cheap .38's for small game and target practice, .357's for hunting anything up to and including deer. Lots of deer have been taken by .357 handgun hunters, and a .357 gains a lot of energy in a rifle barrel.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Other than the M14 levers are my favorite rifles to shoot. Like many have said if you reload 45c is great, if not 357 mag or 44 mag are more affordable.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin
    Glock 27
    CTAC Holster

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If you are looking at the octagon barrel guns, my only suggestion is to go handle them. They are very heavy and don't balance well from a free standing possition.
    That is pretty much dependent on the length of the octagon barrel, I had a 16" octagon "short rifle" done up a number of years ago, it's handling characteristics are fabulous.

QKShooter likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have the Rossi in 45lc, octagonal barrel in Stainless Steel. Like others have said it took a little to smooth up the action (just sitting there running it empty for a couple of hours at night watching tv over a week) but once that was done it is smooth as silk. When I got it I wasnt reloading 45lc's so I bought some. The cowboy loads are like shooting a bb gun but I wouldnt hunt with them. Regular loads showed very little recoil and were pretty accurate. My handloads I absolutely love. I deer hunt with the rifle and it has performed flawlessly. I really like it. I have the longer barreled rifle version not the carbine with a standard size lever loop. It has proven to be very accurate for iron sights out to 100yards and I plan on putting the tang mounted flip up sights on it this year to improve its accuracy to 150yrds. It is a little long for a home defense weapon but with the shorter barrel it would be perfect. But be forwarned that if you dont reload ammo will be pricey but worth it. I think I would adore one in 357magnum but I wouldnt shoot 38specials in it.

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

Administrator
    I'd opt for a .44 Mag AKA better cartridge selection, availability, and price.
    .44 Mag recoil is no problem in a lever gun.

That having been said you could do the .38 SPL .357 Mag if that is your preference. Same reasons as above.

I really do like the classic, historic, ol' Cowboy .45 Long Colt but, "on the shelf" ammo selection is usually not great at all and there just is not much commercially available versatility.

Not around here anyway.
    oneyeopn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I really do like the classic, historic, ol' Cowboy .45 Long Colt but, "on the shelf" ammo selection is usually not great at all and there just is not much commercially available versatility.

Not around here anyway.
    Its Exactly the same around here!!

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

OD,

That is a nice looking gun. The ones I have looked were in the 20 to 22 inch barrel ranges. I am sure the 16 inch is a dream compared to the longer ones with octagon barrels.

Did you get that done from the factory or shorten a longer barrel gun?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have a Winchester 94AE in 44mag. Has to be the most wicked kicking gun I have ever owned. Loaded down to 44spc it is a dream. Have a marlin .357 and its good with anything I feed it. Love all lever guns. And bolt guns, and single shot, and auto's, and pistols and shotguns, and muzzle loaders, ect. All are good, just some better than others.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    OD,

That is a nice looking gun. The ones I have looked were in the 20 to 22 inch barrel ranges. I am sure the 16 inch is a dream compared to the longer ones with octagon barrels.

Did you get that done from the factory or shorten a longer barrel gun?
    Thank you, sir.

The Winchester started life as a standard 1955 carbine, I had Brian Cosby of “Cosby Custom Guns” cut down a Canadian Centennial 20" octagon barrel to 16", I had him remove all the Canadian Centennial barrel markings, but had him retain the standard Winchester barrel roll-markings and the caliber designation. I had it built to replicate an original octagon short rifle that is pictured in Robert C. Renneberg's "The Winchester Model '94: The First Hundred Years"

Something you could call “unhandy” is the standard length octagon rifle.
    My 1911 made standard rifle can be a little unwieldy compared to the shorty.

(I consider them my "old school" close combat, and sniper rifles. )
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    I'm a .45 fan. I love my 1911s in .45acp. I also have a a Henry in .45LC that my wife gave me. I hunt with a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70 & have a big game gun in .458.

That being said you would be better served with a lever gun in .44mag. It's cheaper to shoot, ammo is way easier to find for .44mag as well. I use lever guns around the farm all the time & use .30-30 more than anything else. It is capable of much longer shots than the .45lc or even the .44mag.

If you want a pistol caliber lever go .44mag or .357. If you want to step up a little in power go with a .30-30. ..............45lc isn't worth it unless you're collecting, if you want a useable 'tool gun' go with something else.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I really want to pick up a 44 Mag Lever to match up with my SS Vaquero in 44 Mag. I like all of the above ideas. Makes me want to go shopping!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links