It's a good thing I don't believe in OMENS!

This is a discussion on It's a good thing I don't believe in OMENS! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I beg forgiveness in advance for this long winded rant. So, My wife told me on Christmas morning that she'd ordered me some new glass ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It's a good thing I don't believe in OMENS!

Sponsor

It's a good thing I don't believe in OMENS!

I beg forgiveness in advance for this long winded rant.

So, My wife told me on Christmas morning that she'd ordered me some new glass for my Mauser 98, .243win. She ordered the Millet LRS1. A tad over kill for a 60 year old rifle. Not to mention that it would cost me about the price of the scope to get the right mounting rail installed. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I took this an OK to put a new rifle under the new scope.

It took the scope several weeks to arrive and when it did it was broken. The focus control did nothing. Off to Bushnell(on their dime) for warranty.

In the mean time I had decided to pick up a Savage Long Range Hunter in .308win. (after drooling over ATCTimmy's 300wm) I found what appeared to be a great deal on an unfired pre owned Remy 700 SPS AAC SD while pricing the Savage. Not exactly what I wanted but close at a great price. I wish I had done a little research before snagging it. In my "What a deal!" enduced mental fog I missed one major flaw. The action has a good rep and the trigger feels like butter to me after shooting that Mauser for my entire life. The Hogue stock however is a major malfunction! Very flexible and unstable. I am more than a bit surprised that Hogue makes this thing and even more aghast that Remington would put it on a rifle. What ever, my fault for not doing my due diligence.

After perusing the long range forums for a while I decided that Bell & Carlson's Medalist, style 2 stock was a good replacement in my price range. Certainly not the creme de la creme but good enough for my skill level(or lack there of). I found it on sale at stockysstock.com but it was listed as "Out of stock, back order OK". I placed my order and called to ask if they had any idea of when they would be in stock. I was told that 4-6 weeks was their best guess. The next morning I received a shipping notice email from them and my new stock arrived via USPS Priority may 3 days later. That was today.

The stock is now repackaged and will be sent back to Bell & Carlson for evaluation tomorrow.

The installation instructions said that the bedding block in this stock would be good enough for most shooters without glass bedding and that there should be a minimum of fitting needed. The warranty also stated that only an unmodified stock would warrantied.

The bottom metal was noticeably offset from the bedding block "pillars" and the action rocked fore and aft in the bedding block on a high center. When the mounting screws were torqued it pulled the action off center to the right and the barrel made contact down the entire right side of the stock. I could probably get things right with a few hours Dremel work and some Devcon but that would definitely fall into the realm of "modification" So I called B&C for an RMA and asked if they would eat the return shipping. No dice, I had to pay to ship it back for eval.

BTW, my Millet scope is still at Bushnell.

Someone doesn't want me shooting this stick!

OK, I'm done whining!
    Last edited by luvmy40; January 23rd, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Waiting for someone to blame this all on Taurus...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Waiting for someone to blame this all on Taurus...
    Or the previous President!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsor
    Actually, I am quite sure that this situation can be directly attributed to the Fast and Furious gun walking scandal.
    Hopyard likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Ok, it is all Taurus fault because GW Bush did not like his last Brazilian wax job.

I hope you can get this all fixed and enjoy shooting your new gun.

Sponsor
    It's all going to be good in the end. Both Bushnell and B&C are top notch companies. It's just a bit frustrating when what should be a simple "build" gets backed up at every turn.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Shoulda bought a HighPoint carbine
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You'll just like it even more when it's fixed!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wow that is some tough luck. Hope it turns around for you, sounds like you're going to have a very nice setup, whenever all the pieces are right anyway...

Sponsor
    The glass came back from Bushnell today. They replaced it with a new scope.

The LRS1 comes with high rings. They are perfect for mounting this beast on a flat top upper with a full rail but way too high for the SPS barrel contours. There aren't a lot of choices for the 35mm rings and I am not impressed with the overall quality of the Millett rings. Their price was tempting but I wound up ordering low(.95") rings from TPS through SWFA yesterday. Just a little more than half the price of the Vortex rings and I found enough interwebz praise for them to take the leap.

Bell & Carlson informed me that they have no way of projecting the time frame for the return of my stock and that it could be 8 weeks. Well, the weather here sucks anyway so I guess it isn't that big of deal to wait another month or two.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Sponsor

The saga contues...

A few days after ordering the TPS rings I received an email from SWFA stating that the TPS rings were on back order and they did not have an estimate for delivery. A few days later I called them to see if they had an update. Evidently the TPS company is in the process of moving their facility and they have no estimate for delivery available.

I asked the SWFA CS rep what they had in stock for the 35mm tube. They were out of stock on Seekins but he said they have the low pro Vortex rings(made by Seekins) in stock at just about 2x the price of TPS' rings. I told him to change the order and send them out.

The Vortex rings arrived today and they look great. The rise is perfect and they will be perfect...when I get the replacement rail. See, my rifle came with a Weaver rail. The TPS rings are Weaver mount, but the Vortex rings are picatinny. The SWFA rep I spoke with today gave me a 10% discount and free shipping on a new rail. The situation wasn't her fault and I guess the only one I can really blame in the end is me. I didn't specifically ask if the Vortex rings were for a Weaver rail. I just assumed that the CS rep suggested a direct replacement for what I had ordered originally.

Still no word from Bell & Carlson.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Hell just duct tape that scope to the Mauser and rock and roll!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sponsor
    I ain't far from it brother!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

You musta cut some 80 year old virgin church lady off in traffic while she was headed to church to be named as a living Saint or something
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsor
    Yeah,
    I definitely got on someones bad side with out knowing it!

On a good note, I picked up a Bersa BP9CC today. I put it on lay-a-way a bit ago and just paid it off today. It looks like a great piece. I hope it shoots as good as it feels. It will belong to my boy once he turns 21(3years) and gets his CCW. Till then I plan on giving it a good breaking in!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links