Gun Law Question?

Gun Law Question?

This is a discussion on Gun Law Question? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can a person who doesn't have a FFL but is a legal owner of a firearm ship a firearm to an FFL dealer, so I ...

Thread: Gun Law Question?

Gun Law Question?

Can a person who doesn't have a FFL but is a legal owner of a firearm

ship a firearm to an FFL dealer, so I can purchase it through a

transfer sale. The dealers I contacted in PA say no.

VIP Member
    I'm not certain I understand the scenario. Someone in state A, who is legally allowed to have the gun, can take it to an FFL in that state and ship it to an FFL in state B, and you can pick it up in state B if you are legally allowed to have it in state B.

I've received a gun as a gift that way. Friend, to FFL in state A. FFL in state A to FFL in state B. Pick up by me in state B. Of course both FFLs get a fee for processing; roughly 25 each.

I don't see why a purchase would be any different. Except, at some point you need to arrange for payment ... which might be tricky if seller and buyer don't know each other. Would you send a money order and hope the gun gets shipped? Would you ship a gun and hope the money order gets sent?

If you can work that part out, I don't see where shipping is an issue.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    Can a person who doesn't have a FFL but is a legal owner of a firearm

ship a firearm to an FFL dealer, so I can purchase it through a

transfer sale. The dealers I contacted in PA say no.
    Fed Law allows ANYONE to ship a gun to ANY FFL in ANY State, assuming that the state law doesn't contradict this.

Thus the owner could ship to an FFL in your state for you to purchase the gun and the FFL does the transfer paperwork.

That said, many FFLs will not accept any guns except if it is shipped from another FFL. Not required by law, but they can mandate this . . . and you can shop for a different FFL to accept the gun for you.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    You must be misunderstanding.

The ONLY way to transfer firearms is face-to-face or thru an FFL.

You HAVE to ship the gun to an FFL... and a private person can do it, you don't have to go to an FFL to ship it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

There may be another way.

You can send a firearm through the USPS if it does not make up a full firearm... in other words send it in two different boxes.

Sending it UPS or Fedex has more restrictions on it /dealing with FFL's but I don't think they require it to be broken down. I researched this in great detail not long ago, but don't have the information handy right now. Going to each of their websites will shed some light on your question.

I am not sure of your exact situation of changing registration and such, but I am just referring that sending firearms can be done easier then some think.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Assistant Administrator
    You can send a firearm through the USPS if it does not make up a full firearm
    I have wondered on this but - have felt that one part is going to still be regarded as a firearm. Frame, with SN? Slide?

Anyone legal clear this one at all? I know spares can be sent, such as from Brownells, Numrich etc but - just have a nagging feeling about a ''bits gun''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This link may be helpful. It states the regulations for the major mail carriers.

http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

You need to have an FFL transfer the guy to the State where you're going to the transaction. You're not a FFL, so that dealer cannot accept your gun, unless YOU show up in person, with proper ID in hand. The recieving FFL MUST have a tangable record (signed copy of the sending Dealer's FFL in order to leagally take possession........Sooooooooo....therefor.........y ou can't send a gun to an FFL in another state OR within YOUR State as well..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks everybody your info was very helpful

Lead Moderator
    Typically the serial #'ed part is considered a firearm with AR's , I imagine it would be teh same for any other gun.
    Since some companys who are probably not FFL holders sell slide and parts kits.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links