Travel Alert for firearms, FYI

This is a discussion on Travel Alert for firearms, FYI within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by zonzin I just ordered one of these for a trip to New Orleans,,, you think it will be approved? Don't know why ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Travel Alert for firearms, FYI

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonzin View Post
    I just ordered one of these for a trip to New Orleans,,, you think it will be approved?
    Don't know why not. Be sure to watch the video I linked to. The first 20 mins or so is the important part. Have the laws and airline policies with you and follow them.

Have a lock for your case. Declare your firearm, which must be properly stowed. You will immediately go with your case to the TSA screening. Once cleared put a regular (non TSA) lock on it. They may not label the outside indicating a firearm is within.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I just ordered one of these for a trip to New Orleans,,, you think it will be approved?

PELICAN CASE 1170 CUSTOM HANDGUN BLK
    I am not familiar with pelican case 1170 and I cannot tell how you can lock it from the photograph.

As long as you lock it tight so it cannot be opened within the allowance of the lock shackle (to be able to see the firearm) you should be fine. The different airlines have different rules and they are not the same as TSA. It doesn't do any good to argue with the ticket/check-in agent or a TSA agent if you interface with them. The best way to handle it is do what they say or ask them what you can do to properly transport the firearm, be nice and dont lose your temper because you will not win in an arguument. Some say the ammo must be separate, some say it can be inside along with the firearm. None will allow loose ammo and probably no ammo in the mag. The original ammo package is okay and some aftermarket containers are okay. Give yourself a few more minutes to check your bags so you can declare.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

That case and maybe one of these ammo cases ZERO Ammunition Boxes and you will be traveling in style.

Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    I am still a proponent of the Franzen armloc II, Great for travel (used by Homeland security and other agencies for travel) Great for car/truck and bedside.

Attachment 56024

This will make a GREAT carrying case for baggage handler theives...they will be able to get YOUR gun back to their parking lots in the rain and the gun won't even get wet...nice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This will make a GREAT carrying case for baggage handler theives...they will be able to get YOUR gun back to their parking lots in the rain and the gun won't even get wet...nice!
    I haven't had the personal experience, but I have heard tales of how the normal airline employee goes from having lackadaisical attitude to going ape-poop when they learn they have lost a bag with a gun.

I had this exact experience this week. I flew from DFW to JAX last Monday with a plastic Plano case with padlocks on each end. There were no issues. When I checked in for the return flight Monday, the AA employee took the case in hand, pried the handle apart enough to stick her fingers inside where the foam is, and directed me to the AirTran counter where they had cases for sale, the ones described in the initial post.

I have no problem with having this sturdier case, as it's probably a good idea anyway. But TSA simply must have standards that are uniform nationwide. What if the folk over at AirTran hadn't figured out that stocking gun cases was a cash-generator? I had already returned my rental car, and I was two hours early for my flight. If I had had to try to figure out how to go back into town to buy a case, I'd have missed it, simply because of a lack of policy uniformity. Unacceptable.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

It's good to have FFL friends and UPS. Screw the thieves. It's like landing in Lagos, Nigeria and having the government ransom you for $1K to return your "contraband" cameras, watches, and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Kenney View Post
    I had this exact experience this week. I flew from DFW to JAX last Monday with a plastic Plano case with padlocks on each end. There were no issues. When I checked in for the return flight Monday, the AA employee took the case in hand, pried the handle apart enough to stick her fingers inside where the foam is, and directed me to the AirTran counter where they had cases for sale, the ones described in the initial post.

I have no problem with having this sturdier case, as it's probably a good idea anyway. But TSA simply must have standards that are uniform nationwide. What if the folk over at AirTran hadn't figured out that stocking gun cases was a cash-generator? I had already returned my rental car, and I was two hours early for my flight. If I had had to try to figure out how to go back into town to buy a case, I'd have missed it, simply because of a lack of policy uniformity. Unacceptable.
    That was my same experience but my flight was much closer. We probably had the same check in agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I flew last week from Colorado to Connecticut, and used a Pelican 1650 case as my checked baggage. I just put my handgun in a small case inside and locked the large one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I tried both a TSA lock and regular lock
    There's no way I would ship a firearm with a TSA lock on it. Buy an Abloy and at least make them work for it.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    There's no way I would ship a firearm with a TSA lock on it. Buy an Abloy and at least make them work for it.
    The TSA lock had a much smaller shackle and it still was insufficient to satisfy the agent. I use it (TSA lock) to lock the overall bag. The plastic could be cut through easily if they wanted to break into the case and the case could easily walk away. I mostly wanted to inform everyone so they would not use the "Plano" style cheap plastic cases.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I use that case when I fly with my EDC. Use two padlocks, and it's nearly impossible to pry open without some type of jack.

"Pro Tip:" Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use the "TSA Approved Lock." Unless of course you trust every member of the TSA, and anyone who might happen upon that key.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links