Florida Resident stationed in Texas (firearm purchase)

This is a discussion on Florida Resident stationed in Texas (firearm purchase) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all. My wife is getting stationed at Fort Bliss soon, and we have been living in Texas since July 2011. Being Military, she can ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: Florida Resident stationed in Texas (firearm purchase)

Hey all.

My wife is getting stationed at Fort Bliss soon, and we have been living in Texas since July 2011. Being Military, she can purchase a long rifle or shotgun with no problem since she is stationed here. But, the question being... how do I go about purchasing? Everyone I've talked to says that as long as I'm here on Military orders, I can purchase one...according to the State...but it seems their corporate policies won't allow it.

My DL is a Florida DL, but now has a TX address on it (that's a different story)... And I have documentation that I've been here for more than 6 months...

Anyone have input on what to do...short of flying back to Miami to buy my toys...
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

VIP Member
    I am a bit puzzled by the question. I know we Texans can not buy long guns other than in TX and the adjacent states. I've been in other states where they refused to sell to me based on TX law. I thought the restriction was on Texans, not on non-residents.
    Perhaps that is because I never looked into it from that other side.

If it is lawful for you to purchase and someone has refused to sell because of corporate policy, then your only option is to find a different dealer. Find a smaller FFL instead of a big box store, and then if what you want to do is legal they will help probably sell to you.

Also, since you are in the same household with your wife, why can't she just purchase it and you use it? We aren't talking handguns here. Can't she loan you her rifle or shotgun?

Meanwhile, wouldn't it be helpful to get a TX DL and establish TX residency? Its not like you can't change that if and when you move to FL. I don't know if FL has an income tax, but if it does, changing to TX residency might save you some money.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

sgb
    Go to a different gun store.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Just went thru this with a buddy, Im a retired military memeber and alot of my buds are military take a copy of your orders, and a LES to the gun store as proof you shouldnt have any issues..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

fed law not state says it must be connecting state, don't know about military.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    fed law not state says it must be connecting state, don't know about military.
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    Last edited by sgb; January 27th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Well, my wife has bought herself a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that I get to use

But, I just wanted to see if anyone knew the laws and regs on a military spouse being able to purchase.

And, as for getting my TX DL, I would have to change residency and there are other issues with that. Such as vehicle inspections... None in Florida.

I got the number for this areas ATF agent...gonna give them a call this week.
    "carrying a gun is a lot lighter than carrying a cop in your pocket" -MrTwice99

VIP Member
    You are a military spouse. She is there on military orders, your just along for the ride. You are not afforded the same rights a active duty military person has. You need to meet the residence requirements of the state.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

To purchase a firearm you must provide proof of identity and proof of residence.

Proof of identity must be a government issued document showing name, age and photo, i.e. Drivers License

Proof of residence DOES NOT have to the same document used for identity. The type of residence document that a particular FFL will accept can vary.

Often times a Utility or Insurance bill showing name and address will suffice - it just depends. Be upfront, explain the situation, show you CC permit.

You are not doing anything illegal; so, if the FFL says no, then try elsewhere.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    Well, my wife has bought herself a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that I get to use

But, I just wanted to see if anyone knew the laws and regs on a military spouse being able to purchase.

And, as for getting my TX DL, I would have to change residency and there are other issues with that. Such as vehicle inspections... None in Florida.

I got the number for this areas ATF agent...gonna give them a call this week.
    Vehicle inspection shouldn't be much of an issue. It costs about 15 bucks. If your car can't pass get it fixed. Almost anything that moves will pass. If you can't pass an inspection don't drive the car.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You are a military spouse. She is there on military orders, your just along for the ride. You are not afforded the same rights a active duty military person has. You need to meet the residence requirements of the state.
    Which he does since he has been here more than 30 days.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    True, military members are (generally) extended the rights of states citizenship when living in non-resident states on military orders, while dependents are not. Your military wife (as I get this--you are not military) can buy a firearm as long as she's stationed in that state. She then can give (gift) the firearm to you as long as you can legally own/possess a firearm (Of legal age, no felony convictions or other disqualifying conditions). You then must abide by all firearm laws for carry, etc. while in TX.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What store are you going to in El Paso? I hear good things about Collectors out on the west side.

Links