How much ammo do you carry?

This is a discussion on How much ammo do you carry? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have to ask fellow members here to explain their reasons for carrying 2 to 3 extra mags when out in public? From what I ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How much ammo do you carry?

I have to ask fellow members here to explain their reasons for carrying 2 to 3 extra mags when out in public? From what I see an attack is brief and only requires a few shots to the center of mass to stop the BG in his tracks. I have trouble rationalizing a reason to unload 20 to 30 rounds into anyone. Just asking, I only carry 10 rounds and feel this should keep me covered in any situation. please don't take offense either.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    whats is in the guns....
    my p239/40 has 8 and my 332 has 6.
    walk the dog, K-T p32 has 8

i've never need but to display the gun a handful of times,
    never mattered how many bullets were in it.

doubt it ever will
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I carry one extra mag on me. Not for the extra ammo but for use if there is a feeding malfunction when using the one in the gun. Most feed problems, jams, stovepipes are magazine related.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I carry one extra mag on me. Not for the extra ammo but for use if there is a feeding malfunction when using the one in the gun. Most feed problems, jams, stovepipes are magazine related.
    Very good statement Mike!
    dcmb likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Off duty I carry my G26 with its normal mag holding 10 rounds..

Like you said.. a normal civilian having to use deadly force to defend one’s self or loved ones, would normally fire 2-5 rounds in a conflict that might last 3-5 seconds. Sure there are exceptions, but carrying concealed and “confinable” does have its limitations.
    At work well…

On duty I open carry a G17 holding 17 rounds plus two more mags for a total of 52 rounds

Open carry on duty holster makes carrying the extra magazine easy, and have more that is needed is never a bad thing.. But not having enough, can spell really bad karma.

GM
    I carry an extra mag with me all the time because of the possibility of malfunctions, and I have a couple more in the car.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

How much do you worry about a magazine failure? I just carry the one mag in my Glock 19. Glock mags can get dropped, kicked, whatever and still work.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    One spare mag
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

sgb
    I carry two spare mags, I also wear a belt and suspenders. If you live by what's average then you wouldn't be carrying a sidearm in the first place would you?
    First Sgt, dgraing and Naufragia like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I carry plenty of ammo. No one has ever offered a compelling argument against plenty of ammo, so I will continue to do so.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Hopefully I am carrying enough to handle what comes my way. I know that some people want to say that if you are carrying two or three extra magazines, you are way over the top.

I say that it all depends on the weapon, your accuracy, and the situation you might find yourself in.

A 7+1 Colt Commander or my 7+1 Taurus PT 709 carries 8 rounds, sure. So if there are three bad guys that jump me (like happened to the old man on the bike just the other day), and you pop off two rounds apiece, you have just used up 6 of your 8 rounds.

What if, under stress (and I guarantee you that you will be under stress like you cannot imagine) you missed two of the bad guys and dropped their friend. All great and good if the other two run. But if all you did was tick them off and set them for immediate revenge, well, I hope you are a really good shot with your last two rounds.

What if you have a jam? A simple fail to go into battery is as easy as Tap Bang or Tap Rack Bang, and a stovepipe can be wiped/racked off, but if you get the sinister double fail to feed, well, the drill is to drop the magazine, rack and clear, re-insert new magazine if possible (as other may be defective but now is sure as heck somewhere on the floor and will have to be found) and start firing again. Not a good time to decide one 7 round magazine was plenty.

And finally, if you ever get caught up in British type riots (from last summer) or LA type riots like happened after the Rodney King verdicts (don't assume this cannot happen to your town while you are at work - how many people in LA thought that morning, "Gee whiz, I can't WAIT to be caught unarmed or under prepared when those riots kick off today!!!"), you may wish your Glock had at least one more magazine to feed into it.

If you remember, the Korean business owners had plenty of ammo and magazines at their disposal, and their places of business were not ransacked or burned, if you catch my drift.
    mkh likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    How much do you worry about a magazine failure? I just carry the one mag in my Glock 19. Glock mags can get dropped, kicked, whatever and still work.

Of course! Even though all mechanical devices can fail it would never happen to a Glock mag; we cannot forget that Glock and "perfection" are synonyms. Right?
    msgt/ret and BigJon10125 like this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden View Post
    Glock mags work until they don't. I have a couple which became non-functional.

Two spare mags...one with FMJ in the very small chance that ill need to shoot through something i.e car door, or whatever. Another one with SD rounds for the four malfunctions.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I have to ask fellow members here to explain their reasons for carrying 2 to 3 extra mags when out in public? From what I see an attack is brief and only requires a few shots to the center of mass to stop the BG in his tracks. I have trouble rationalizing a reason to unload 20 to 30 rounds into anyone. Just asking, I only carry 10 rounds and feel this should keep me covered in any situation. please don't take offense either.
    It's not really because I think I need 31 rounds it's really for malfunctions.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links