Defensive Carry banner

Need help with building an AR

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JGJ 
#1 ·
I'm looking to build a basic functional 556/223 AR15. No thrills at this point just basics with flat rails for upgrades later. What all do I need and any suggestions to keep this down as close to 600 to start as possible

#3 ·
Start out with a stripped lower and get a complete parts kit. You will need a stock and a complete upper. I pay around $100 for the lowers. Maybe even 125-150 depending on the brand. Stock and parts kit is about 85+/-. Not that many complete uppers for 400 but I have seen some at the gun show for 350-375. You will still need a magazine (s). If it is your first one get the manual to put the lower together, step by step. It is very easy.

#7 ·
It's gonna be cheaper to buy the Rifle kit at one time,Delton sells them around the mid to high 400's,it includes everything you need except the stripped lower,only tools you will need to assemble is a screwdriver or allen wrench for the pistol grip screw,a pin punch to set a couple of roll pins one for the Bolt release,and one for the trigger guard,you also need a pair of channel locks with the jaws taped so you don't mar the finish to tighten the lock nut on the stock.they make an armorers wrench for the AR15/M16 but at around 20-30 dollars unless your into replacing barrels etc you don't need

#8 ·
I am saving for an upper but in mean time I plan on buying the smaller parts. I don't mind if it costs more in the end, it's easier(for the wife) to justify smaller amounts here and there than dropping a large sum

#10 ·
If you hide and watch, Palmetto State will put their stripped lowers on sale for $49.

Another route is a BCM blemished lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.