Need help with building an AR

This is a discussion on Need help with building an AR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to build a basic functional 556/223 AR15. No thrills at this point just basics with flat rails for upgrades later. What all do ...

I'm looking to build a basic functional 556/223 AR15. No thrills at this point just basics with flat rails for upgrades later. What all do I need and any suggestions to keep this down as close to 600 to start as possible
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Start out with a stripped lower and get a complete parts kit. You will need a stock and a complete upper. I pay around $100 for the lowers. Maybe even 125-150 depending on the brand. Stock and parts kit is about 85+/-. Not that many complete uppers for 400 but I have seen some at the gun show for 350-375. You will still need a magazine (s). If it is your first one get the manual to put the lower together, step by step. It is very easy.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

I'm looking to buy everything in steps as I know I won't be able to save for a complete one. Which part is it that has to go through FFL?

SIG P220ST

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanr4 View Post
    I'm looking to buy everything in steps as I know I won't be able to save for a complete one. Which part is it that has to go through FFL?
    The lower

It's gonna be cheaper to buy the Rifle kit at one time,Delton sells them around the mid to high 400's,it includes everything you need except the stripped lower,only tools you will need to assemble is a screwdriver or allen wrench for the pistol grip screw,a pin punch to set a couple of roll pins one for the Bolt release,and one for the trigger guard,you also need a pair of channel locks with the jaws taped so you don't mar the finish to tighten the lock nut on the stock.they make an armorers wrench for the AR15/M16 but at around 20-30 dollars unless your into replacing barrels etc you don't need
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am saving for an upper but in mean time I plan on buying the smaller parts. I don't mind if it costs more in the end, it's easier(for the wife) to justify smaller amounts here and there than dropping a large sum

SIG P220ST

Check spikes tactical for a lot of great products. Supper happy with my gear

If you hide and watch, Palmetto State will put their stripped lowers on sale for $49.

Another route is a BCM blemished lower.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Great thread OP, thanks! I dont mean to hijack, but this seems the appropriate thread for my question. I've been browsing Delton, and see the kits. What is the difference between the light weight kit, and mid-length kit?

Go to YouTube. Lots of instructional videos on there.

JGJ
    I built my first AR-15 last spring using only the videos at Brownell's. Like the previous poster mentioned, everything is available on YouTube. I just used Brownell's because there was a separate video for each individual part and they were all on one page.

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video

Links