Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight - Page 2

Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight

This is a discussion on Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The sights on my 380 LCP kinda' ,well let's just say when it comes to sighting, I call the gun my "little Hoover". I took ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Paint recommendation for J-frame front iron sight

The sights on my 380 LCP kinda' ,well let's just say when it comes to sighting, I call the gun my "little Hoover". I took florescent orange (the kind to paint yard sale signs) and used a toothpick to "paint" the rear notch. I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a can of Daytona Yellow Engine paint (500 degree heat resistance) and used a Q-tip to paint the front sight. Holstering it in and out of my pocket holster for over 6 months now and no "re-painting" as of yet. The colors show great in low light, for me anyway.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I use Appliance White Touch Up and Glow in the Dark Nail Polish on top to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    100 yds? OK You're on. I guarantee you will not hit a 6" metal target at 100 yds. with any one of your 5 J-Frame shots. I have $100 on this and I will be happy to meet with cash and let you give me your money with 5 misses. Game on.
    You wouldn't want to make that bet with me either.
    Harryball likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    OP, I used plain old DayGlo-Orange model paint on all my pistols. Yeah, they need an occasional touch-up, but it's $4 for a lifetime supply. Make sure you remove all oils first. I've found that the sights stand out more than adequate in low light that still light enough to see the target. Any darker and I can't see what I'm shooting at, so expensive night lights would be no help (for me). Plus, BGs tend not to wear dayglo-orange clothing so there's no problem with the sights blending in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well sounds like a lot folks go to a lot more trouble than me.
    I paint all my handgun front sights with bright red fingernail polish. Works for me, can't see 'em in the dark but helps in dim light & works great in bright sunlight. Seems to last along time between touch ups.

But like anything else... whatever works for 'ya!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    100 yds? OK You're on. I guarantee you will not hit a 6" metal target at 100 yds. with any one of your 5 J-Frame shots. I have $100 on this and I will be happy to meet with cash and let you give me your money with 5 misses. Game on.
    If he's half the shot I believe him to be he will own your ass.

Here is a video of a guy ringing a gong at 85 yards using a S&W Model 442 J-frame snubby revolver. He is standing up, using two hands, no table, no sand bags, no bracing, no optics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUE9...eature=related
    Last edited by marcclarke; January 28th, 2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Try to get the video to embed as a video instead of a link that must be clicked. No joy.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Here is a video of a guy ringing a gong at 85 yards using a S&W Model 442 J-frame snubby revolver. He is standing up, using two hands, no table, no sand bags, no bracing, no optics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUE9...eature=related
    That's pretty good shootin' if I don't say so myself.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I've tried both Red & White paint on the front blade of my J frames. For me the white worked the best especially on my BodyGuard. My 638 & 637 have the red, but I thought the white would have a better contrast on the all black finish of the BG. It might be because the BG points so well that the sight pickup is simply aided by the paint and the color isn't important, but I can see where a floresent green would be a good choice too.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I couldn't find any green or orange nail polish, and wasn't willing to drive all over the place looking for nailpolish anyway. I bought some white "Hard as Nails" type nail polish, painted it on the front sight of my 1911 and Smith 442. Makes them easier to see, and it hasn't worn off yet even though they're carried a lot. I put it on about 8 months ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links